Hobby to Galveston

Bruin Steve

I hate the fact that the cruise lines will not allow you to book a transfer unless your flight is coming in the day of sailing - I really like to get to the area the day before to make sure there are no air delays - the cruise companies "don't get it". We are also going into Hobby the day before - we booked a room at the Hampton Inn at the Airport - on Sunday morning we booked a towncar transfer $125.00 for 2 w/luggage and tip that will pick us up at the hotel and take us to the ship - booked the cruise line transfer on the return to the airport $60.00 - so yes Galveston is expensive - probably won't go this route again.:(

I hate the fact that the cruise lines will not allow you to book a transfer unless your flight is coming in the day of sailing - I really like to get to the area the day before to make sure there are no air delays - the cruise companies "don't get it". We are also going into Hobby the day before - we booked a room at the Hampton Inn at the Airport - on Sunday morning we booked a towncar transfer $125.00 for 2 w/luggage and tip that will pick us up at the hotel and take us to the ship - booked the cruise line transfer on the return to the airport $60.00 - so yes Galveston is expensive - probably won't go this route again.:(

You can book Disney transfers and come in the day before. I did it, but then canceled because I got a good rate on a care rental. You just have to be in the luggage area for the shuttle the next morning. For 2 it was $120 round trip. But I got the car for less.

Here is the major problem in a nutshell:

The only major airports anywhere near Galveston are 43 miles and 73 miles away.

Cruise line transfers sound great...except that cruise lines do NOT own fleets of buses to use one or two days a week for the may be one ship they have in this port...They have to charter these...the price is negotiated and the cruise line has to tack on some money for itself for profit, overhead and management...So, even a transfer is not going to be cheap...

So, it all comes down to the basic free-enterprise system...

Say you own a limo or a van and you want to take people from IAH or HOU to Galveston or back...A round trip (you may have to "dead-head" the other direction to get home), at today's gas prices will cost you around $20 to $30 in gas alone...figure in the value of wear-and-tear on your limo, an amortized portion of the service/repairs/maintenance...and insurance...plus your overhead to be in that business--advertising, telephones, etc. By the time you're done, it is likely costing you about $50-$75 to make the trip...and two to four hours of your time...plus you are risking traffic accidents, speeding tickets, etc. So, how much are you willing to sell that trip from the airport to Galveston for? What is a fair price?

Well, to some extent, it comes down to competition...which is the only saving grace for the customer...If others are charging $125, then that ends up being your price as well...but there is a limit to how low the competition can drive the price...If it costs you $75, you can't sell the ride for $70...You'd just exit the business...

So, absent some more cost-effective system, the transportation from Houston area airports to Galveston will always be high...

...and it will deter cruisers who have to fly in. Most cruisers out of Galveston will be Texans--who drive to port themselves and also save the cost of air travel...

Here in Los Angeles, it is only 20 miles from LAX to the port...Shuttle services abound...Most can fill up vans any day, any time...so, the drive to the pier--or to harbor area hotels is relatively cheap (though on the West Coast board right now, there's a thread by a visitor who's leaving a cruise in Long Beach and spending a post cruise stay in Hollywood--33 miles from the port--and, for that, it's about a $100 ride for two)...

In Miami and Fort Lauderdale, the airports are extremely close to the cruise terminals...so the cost of even a private taxi is minimal...

Truth is that Galveston is just not a convenient port for anyone but Texans...not a lot of ways around that...

We have 2 adults and 2 kids in our party. We get in a day before the cruise 10/20, and have an evening flight back on 10/28. I decided to do a 8 day rental and got an extra 10% off booking through Costco. Got a Full Size through Enterprise for $171 with all the fees. I'm not thrilled with this option due to the price to park the car for a week, and the worry about unattended damage, but this will give us the freedom to get last minute items and go to some good BBQ joints.

Just thought I would add to the conversation.

We have a group of 6 adults flying into Hobby together in early March. I booked Cornerstone Limo for $120 each way. With the bill being split among our group, the price will not be too bad.

We are coming in the day before. We'll have to take a cab the next day to the port because Laquinta apparently does not have a service (They do in Fort Lauderdale!)

If it were just my husband and me, it would probably be a far more costly trip.

We were just quoted 169 for 1 night, breakfast and a shuttle for 4 R/T hotel to Cruise port and than Cruise Port to airport - wonder if we trust this rate? Booked on the Magic March 31 2013

Who is the quote from? We are needing transportation and hotel on 12/8 for a 12/9 Magic cruise - thanks!

Archived