Negril???? From Montego Bay

aggiemom11

Hmmmm....it was back in 07 when we did this, but that is a heck of a long ride. Anywhere from 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs ride. We went with a private transportation company that we got through the resort we were staying at, but can't remember the name, apologies.

I would check around online with some tour companies, but its going to be a little timely and costly. Sorry I'm not more help.

Yes, I have discovered that it is timely and costly. I am beginning to wonder if it is really worth it. Any thoughts?

Depends on what you are doing/what you want to see? It has good beaches, but not really any better than Doctors Cave Beach in Mobay. We went there mainly to check out Sandals in Negril and see cliff divers at Rick's Cafe. It was ok, but not worth the couple hour ride through the country, unless you are interested in seeing parts of 'real' Jamaica as you drive. Just my opinion.

I was not on a cruise when we did this drive. If you are, I would think you can find something better to do in Mobay, since this would be so time consuming and costly.

If you have enough time in port, it's definitley worth it. So different from MoBay. Rick's is so much fun and you can easily spend a few hours there. The beaches (7 mile and Bloody Bay) are gorgeous. 7 mile has fun little beach bars and restaurant that you can swing into for really inexpensive food and cold Red Stripe or Rum punch! If you want a fun day (and get away from the crowd and all the cruise tours) head to Negril. A taxi ride is about 1 hr and 20 minutes (if there are not jams). The ride goes along the ocean, so it's very pretty. I would highly recommend getting OUT of MoBay and heading to Negril. As another poster said, if you go there, you will want to return for an extended stay. I cannot say the same about MoBay, which is a big dirty city. You won't be impressed.

Thanks, I think we are going to rethink Negril. We did want to see Rick's as we have heard great things about it, but I guess we will check into other tours.

I think Rick's and Negril is neat, but not worth 3 - 4 hours total drive time and the cost. Not for me, at least, though others may disagree. I did enjoy my time, but I also enjoy Doctors Cave Beach a great deal which is a few mins from port and is hardly any cost.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy!

Well be on the Magic in Oct and noticed they offer a tour from the ship which is nice seeing as the ship will wait for their sponsored tours in case they are delayed getting back. We're considering this excursion just to get out of Mo'bay.

Negril is awesome! LOVE LOVE LOVE it there, whenever Im going for vacations from work thats where I head to and relax a bit.

As stated its about 1hr 20mins drive, lovely nice longgg beaches awesome people, fun bars, great time for all.

Ricks Cafe is a lot of fun as well, tho, its a lot more fun closer to sunset, which you wont be able to enjoy fully based on what time you'll have to get back to port :(.

• 1 month later...

Archived