Air from Saskatchewan Canada to Puerto Rico!

Dee777

Hello, everyone!

I am posting this to get some input for my inlaws who are interested in a 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise with some friends of theirs. They can get a great deal on the cruise itself, but the airfare is crazy! I am checking into alternatives for them (and will be sending them to a travel agent PRONTO haha) such as where they can fly from which will give them the least amount of connection flights, best price, times... my head is spinning, and so will theirs!

I am interested in hearing from other Canadians who have done this. The problem for them is that they live in a small city (Saskatoon) so would likely have to fly to Toronto, then Miami, then Puerto Rico as far as I can tell. But I am no expert :) It looks like the air will cost them more than the cruise but as my DH says, you only live once, travel while you're healthy enough.

The cruise dates are February 17/13 to the 24th, and of course they will want to arrive the day prior at LEAST, two days wouldn't hurt as my FIL is not in the peak of health and can be a little pokey :)

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide, I hope everyone has a great day!

Dee

Hello, everyone!

I am posting this to get some input for my inlaws who are interested in a 7 day Southern Caribbean cruise with some friends of theirs. They can get a great deal on the cruise itself, but the airfare is crazy! I am checking into alternatives for them (and will be sending them to a travel agent PRONTO haha) such as where they can fly from which will give them the least amount of connection flights, best price, times... my head is spinning, and so will theirs!

I am interested in hearing from other Canadians who have done this. The problem for them is that they live in a small city (Saskatoon) so would likely have to fly to Toronto, then Miami, then Puerto Rico as far as I can tell. But I am no expert :) It looks like the air will cost them more than the cruise but as my DH says, you only live once, travel while you're healthy enough.

The cruise dates are February 17/13 to the 24th, and of course they will want to arrive the day prior at LEAST, two days wouldn't hurt as my FIL is not in the peak of health and can be a little pokey :)

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide, I hope everyone has a great day!

Dee

How far are they from Calgary or Edmonton?

I would look at driving them to Calgary or Edmonton and catching a flight there . We live four hours from Vancouver and its cheaper to drive then fly to our cruises. Does the cruise line have an air option , it's sometime cheaper to fly thru them. I have found that air fares from Canada to the US are very expensive

Also look at the attached link to check airline fares

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Hello, everyone!

Dee

I also live in Saskatoon. I would just try to book a flight from Saskatoon rather than trying to drive to Calgary or Edmonton. It is a long drive especially for February when the weather is a bit unpredictable. I also don't think you save much money if any by flying out of another city.

There are plenty of domestic flights on Air Canada and WestJet into Calgary and Toronto; from where you can make connections.

International flights out of Saskatoon include: Delta Airlines to Minneapolis; United Airlines to Denver and Chicago; WestJet to Las Vegas and Phenix. I would expect to pay around $1,000 for the flight.

For US flights, sometimes it is cheaper connecting in Toronto or Calgary, however most times routes with connections in Minneapolis or Denver come out slightly cheaper. The flights to Minneapolis and Denver leave early in the morning and then usually another set again early in the afternoon.

Unlike the bigger airports in Canada, Saskatoon does not have US customs/immigration. So if you fly United or Delta you clear US Customs on arrival in the US. I have found that the Saskatoon flights generally arrive at times that are not very busy at the US hubs for customs and you sail through.

Another option where your friends may want to consider is taking one of the non-stop winter charter flights out of Saskatoon to the Caribbean spend a few days in Jamaica then connect onto the cruise. Both Airtransat and Sunwing operate winter charters to places like Montego Bay in Jamaica or Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. If you save anything on the cost of the flight you will likely spend it on other expenses.

Thank you, Kamloops50 and em-sk for your advice. As I am not going on this cruise and I don't feel comfortable booking the air for my in-laws I am diredcting them to a good travel agent :) Thank you once again for taking the time to reply to my questions, it is much appreciated!

Dee

Archived