Millenium v Solstice for Alaska 2013?

Greesh

We are planning on booking a cruise to Alaska next summer and are trying to decide between the Hubbard Glacier (N or S-bound) on the Millenium or the Tracy Arm Fjord cruise on the Solstice. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance!

I was not impressed with the glacier in Tracy Arm Fjord (pictured). I loved sailing through the fjord but for me the glacier was anti-climactic. I have been to Glacier Bay and College Fjords also and they were superior to Tracy Arm. For one thing we could only see the glacier from a distance.

Next summer we are doing the Millenium to see Hubbard Glacier, which I think will be more impressive and you can get up close to it.

IMG_1176.jpg.aa289af91cba9fe66ca9ab7d2e8c9ada.jpg

I was not impressed with the glacier in Tracy Arm Fjord (pictured). I loved sailing through the fjord but for me the glacier was anti-climactic. I have been to Glacier Bay and College Fjords also and they were superior to Tracy Arm. For one thing we could only see the glacier from a distance.

Next summer we are doing the Millenium to see Hubbard Glacier, which I think will be more impressive and you can get up close to it.

I am cruising near the Hubbard Glacier B2B on the Mellenium. Is there also other things to see like whales in Hubbard? H

I have been to Hubbard Glacier three times on Alaska cruises on Celebrity. The first time it was calving like crazy and was awesome. The next two times there was hardly any calving, so it was rather a letdown (although had I never seen it at all I'm sure I would have been impressed just to see it). My point is that the experience can vary so widely I would not make a cruise decision based on seeing a glacier. I do not know the rest of the itinerary for these two cruises, but overall I would base my decision on the most time in port if all else were fairly equal. If that were fairly equal, I would personally pick the M class ship as I happen to prefer them (although Solstice is very, very nice). There is nothing like cruising in Alaska and sitting in the T-pool watching the scenery go by.

We are planning on booking a cruise to Alaska next summer and are trying to decide between the Hubbard Glacier (N or S-bound) on the Millenium or the Tracy Arm Fjord cruise on the Solstice. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance!

That would be an easy decision for us based on the differences in their itineraries alone.

To us, an Alaska cruise is all about what is seen off the ship, not on the ship.

Compare the differences in their route maps and port times as well as the glaciers visited.

If you want to visit Denali Park or tour elsewhere in the Alaska interior, that would be another important factor to consider.

If you don't already have it, here is a link to the

ALASKA Board

a good source of information about Alaska cruises.

Even though we live in Alaska we have done two Alaska cruises. I am the one who does virtually all of the vacation planning, so my (now just retired) geologist hubby was so pleased when we boarded the ship, and he finally looked at our itinerary and saw that we were going to Hubbard. Hubbard is spectacular and is one of the few glaciers actually advancing. We have been to Hubbard twice, and both times found it wonderful.

Thanks in advance!

Itinerary/price might be your guide, but having been on both ships, I prefer the Millenium. It's smaller and nicer, although the Solstice is nice too. The Millenium is called by frequent cruisers the 'happy ship' because all the crew are so friendly and nice.

Rebeccalouise - from your signature, it looks like you will be on our cruise next summer. Come on over to our Roll Call as there is another couple that are doing a B2B the same weeks as you. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1593703

Hope to see/meet you soon!

Having gone through this decision, I can tell you why I decided on the Millennium. I had pretty much decided on Millie before the 2013 itineraries came out, but when I saw that the Solstice would be sailing Alaska, I looked again. While sailing round-trip out of Seattle would be the cheapest way to go airfare wise, I felt like we would be missing out a little because the port times were shorter than on the Millie. Plus, I had convinced my DH to take 2 weeks of vacation B2B - something he's never done in the 27 years we've been married - and I didn't want to even give him the slightest window to back out of that promise!:):o

We are doing a DIY interior trip the week prior to boarding the Millie. One of my bucket list items is to spend at least a week in each of the 50 states and since AK is so far and so big, I figured 2 weeks there for our first time will at least give us a taste of our 49th state. More than likely, it will just whet our appetites and we'll be going back multiple times!

The biggest part of your decision will be deciding what it is you really want to see/do. When you decide that, I'm sure the decision regarding which ship will be obvious.

I also highly recommend spending however much extra time you can afford on a pre or post trip in Alaska. On our first trip there, we also did a DIY trip which I highly recommend. We only had three days but we traveled to Denali and had a great time. By using a local (to Alaska - search the internet) travel agency, we were able to save $300 per person for the three day trip as compared to a comparable Celebrity post-cruise excursion. Very well worth arranging independently. And since you are traveling in the US, you can feel very confident in being able to plan a safe and enjoyable trip on your own.

I have been to Hubbard Glacier three times on Alaska cruises on Celebrity. The first time it was calving like crazy and was awesome. The next two times there was hardly any calving, so it was rather a letdown (although had I never seen it at all I'm sure I would have been impressed just to see it). My point is that the experience can vary so widely I would not make a cruise decision based on seeing a glacier. I do not know the rest of the itinerary for these two cruises, but overall I would base my decision on the most time in port if all else were fairly equal. If that were fairly equal, I would personally pick the M class ship as I happen to prefer them (although Solstice is very, very nice). There is nothing like cruising in Alaska and sitting in the T-pool watching the scenery go by.

Phoenix dream - My husband and I have, also, been on a few Alaskan cruises, and the awesome power of nature that I felt the first time I saw the Hubbard Glacier calving was never duplicated. Maybe part of it is due to the fact that there is something special about an experience you have never had before, and it is difficult to ever recreate that feeling.

That is why I have a long bucket list of things I want to experience :)

I am not a great fan of the S class ships, love the M class. However, I would choose whichever ship is doing Hubbard glacier. I have now seen this 3 times, and hope to go again next year. It was awe inspiring each time. Have seen it both on sunny and cloudy days and the colors look so different depending on the sunlight. Please do not miss Hubbard.

Anne

Thanks everyone for your input! We decided on the Millenium as we didn't want to miss Hubbard Glacier. I have actually been on this exact cruise on the Millenium before her dry dock, but my hubby and daughter were not with me at the time. I found Hubbard Glacier breathtaking, but I wasn't sure how it compared to Sawyer Glacier , nor how others found the Millennium compared to the Solstice.

Thanks again for your help :-)

Archived