Which is better: July or August 2013?

SunnyinDC

Hi - I'm just starting to research an Alaskan cruise for my family for summer 2013. This trip will include by two daughters who will be 11 and 9. We have a pretty limited schedule -- just a couple weeks available in the middle and end of July, and then a couple weeks available in mid-late August. Which month would be better for an educational trip for the girls (hopefully involving as much wildlife as possible)? Thanks in advance for your advice and any suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

Sunny

Hi - I'm just starting to research an Alaskan cruise for my family for summer 2013. This trip will include by two daughters who will be 11 and 9. We have a pretty limited schedule -- just a couple weeks available in the middle and end of July, and then a couple weeks available in mid-late August. Which month would be better for an educational trip for the girls (hopefully involving as much wildlife as possible)? Thanks in advance for your advice and any suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

Sunny

Either should be fine. Days are longer in July which is nice. I have been in June, July, and August. It really depends on the weather and you can't plan for that although you can pull up rain and temperature statistics for the areas you want to visit. I assume you will be spending at least 2-3 days in Denali for the wildlife sitings there. Just be sure to take your light weight rain gear and plan to layer your clothing. You will also need a couple of pair of shoes that are good for hiking and can also get wet. Decide what wildlife you want to see outside of Denali and then make your plans for your land trip. Order some free travel materials from the convention and visitors centers so you can all enjoy planning the trip. Be sure to go to Glacier Bay and you can go into the ups.gov website and download interviews with the rangers to put on your i-pod to listen to while you are in Glacier Bay. They provide appx six hours of free educational materials to listen to before you go and while you are sailing in Glacier Bay.

If wildlife is your priority, then tours are "necessary". Must dos, could be, Denali park and Kenai fjords. The bargain being Denali going independent. :) You need 2 overnights there.

I give an edge to August. Wonderful time for Denali with some fall colors and good wildlife opportunities.

Archived