Best ruins to see

kcbmarek

• 2 weeks later...

We took a great tour of the Chacchoben ruins with Native Choice. The tour guide was fabulous, very interesting ruins and there was lots of shade which I liked because it's hot down there! It was about an hour drive from the port but the guide kept us entertained with lots of info about the area. Check out their website and the reviews on tripadvisor.

• 3 months later...

Our group of 14 signed up for the Dzibanche Ruins excursion offered by Native Choice. All our excursions for the cruise were booked independent of the offerings from the cruise line. We choose Dzibanche specifically because it offered a more hands on experience, and less crowds than closer ruins. This is a long tour. Many people suggested against booking such a long tour independently. There is always a chance the cruise ship will leave without you, should something go wrong and you are late back to the ship. We decided to take the chance, considering the savings from similar offerings from Norwegian.

The dock in Costa Maya is at least 130 yards long. Additionally, it is another 100 yards to the Native Choice check in desk. The check in area is past the cruise terminal, out the terminal gates. We found the check in desk, and checked in. There were many cruisers there and there was quite a line. A Native Choice Representative was passing out cold bottles of water to everyone standing in the lines, regardless of which tour they were going on. We received our bracelets and were assigned a van. Because of our number, 12 of us were in one van. Two others from our party rode in the second van, which included other Star cruisers.

Frine was our guide for the day, Eric was our driver. There was another guide in the second van for the other two of our family members on this trip. Our van was clean, comfortable and air conditioned. Frine began her narrative shortly after leaving the tour desk.

I can not even come close to reciting everything our group learned on the ride to the ruins. Frines stories were interesting and jam packed with history. Costa Maya history including first exports of gum and mahogany used for British red coats. The varied cultures including British, Spanish, Mayan, and even Mennonites. The terrain changed, going from swamp to savanna to forest to jungle. Frine pointed out the “lagoon” that stretched the entire length of our time on the first road. After an hour, we stopped in Bacalar for bathroom break and to purchase snacks if we wanted. As soon as we turned off road 307, and turned to 186, Frine began to talk about the Mayan culture. We learned about a new ruins location that is not yet open to the public. We learned that the Dzibanche ruins location was lost for 75 years. Dzibanche means “writing on wood”. Dzibanche was a great city in 200 AD. How discoveries of ruins are handled in order to protect both the ruins, and the locals interests. We were offered a final restroom break before our arrival at the Dzibanche ruins location.

Exiting the van you begin your walk to the ruins structures. The first 100 yards is uphill on a dirt, rutty road. It is quite a task if your preference is flat and unobstructed. We entered the plaza where Frine continued to tell us about what each structure represented. Frine pointed out how the structures were constructed. We were able to see a wall which still had red coloring, and glyphs. Ceiba trees, which are considered the tree of life by Mayans, are everywhere.

We walked up the stairs at Temple 2. A 73 year old member of our group began to struggle with climbing the steep steps. Two attendants working at the ruins park literally sprinted up the steps, rushing to help her. A little bit of bravado, with a genuine desire to enhance her experience was impressive.

We were in the large open area, approaching Temple 6. Many in our group choose this structure to climb. And I do mean climb. Those with longer legs found a easier climb. But the vertical steep steps are certainly a blood pumping experience. The view from the top was astounding. It was here, that you could really see how large a site (15 square miles) Dzibanche is.

We climbed down from Temple 6 and continued to a couple of other structures. Those in better shape choose to tackle another tall structure, leaving the rest of us to gaze upward in awe. Frine asked my 6'4” son to grab some leaves from a branch above us. She took the leaf, and tore it apart, giving each of us a piece. Frine encouraged us to put it in our mouth and chew it. Those of us who did, tasted the familiar tang of Novocaine. Chewing on the leaf for a bit quickly numbed our gums and made our lips tingle. We had been offered a taste of the allspice tree. Used in the production of Novocaine, but as an added spice to cooking or baking. After approximately 90 minutes, we all walked back to the van. We were provided with a sack lunch of a sandwich, granola bar, orange, and bottle of orange juice. This had been included in our tour price.

We all piled back into the van, and began the two hour ride back to the cruise terminal. The younger members fell asleep in the back of the van after exhausting themselves climbing around these ancient ruins.

On the way back to the terminal, we asked if the driver could stop at one of the roadside venders. There were many selling fresh pineapple, and panapen Frine purchased bags of fresh pineapple, and one of panapen for everyone to share. A tiny bag of cayenne pepper is included to sprinkle on your pineapple.

We were driven back to the cruise terminal where we had about an hour to shop. Native Choice provided a professional, friendly excursion. Their driver Eric, was helpful and a safe van operator. Frine, our tour guide is a true gem. She was informative without boring, creative in her stories and a pleasure to listen to. She answered all questions we had no matter how mundane. It's obvious her knowledge on Costa Maya is vast, and she loves her job. We heartily recommend using Native Choice on a visit to Costa Maya. Forgo the crowds and visit Dzibanche. Insist on Frine as your guide, and you won't be disappointed!

We were on the RCI Mariner of the Seas for a Christmas cruise last year. We booked a shore excursion to the Kohunlich Mayan Ruins through the Royal Caribbean. We enjoyed it. The ruins are very impressive.

If your interested in seeing pictures, click on the link below. My wife takes pictures on our cruises and puts them in slide shows with background music on her website.

http://nancysoasis.com/costamaya/costamaya.html

Happy Sailing!

We were just in port at Costa Maya last week. You can readily book a trip to Chacchoban ruins on arrival at the port. Lots of tour operators selling trips right at the tourist village at the port by where the taxis line up. We paid $50 per person for the approx. 3 hour trip. Takes about 45 minutes each way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We booked a shore excursion to the Kohunlich Mayan Ruins through the Royal Caribbean. We enjoyed it. The ruins are very impressive.

If your interested in seeing pictures, click on the link below.

Please say thank you from me to your wife for her slideshow. I'm presently booked to see Xuantunich in Belize, but apparently some of Carnival's cruises are diverting to Costa Maya. I've already been to Chaccoben and don't want to repeat. Ruins are what I enjoy most on WC cruises.

Thank you because now I know if it happens I won't be as bummed out as Kohunlich looks worth seeing.

Archived