Ocean Liner vs. Cruise Ship

LeBarryboat

Just returned from a trans-Atlantic crossing on QM2 and made a video. I interviewed Captain Chris Wells and he gave a great explanation of the difference between an Ocean Liner and a Cruise Ship. You'll also hear a comparison of the Queen Mary 2's whistles and the original Queen Mary's whistles -

I'd love to hear what people think of this video!

Just returned from a trans-Atlantic crossing on QM2 and made a video. I interviewed Captain Chris Wells and he gave a great explanation of the difference between an Ocean Liner and a Cruise Ship. You'll also hear a comparison of the Queen Mary 2's whistles and the original Queen Mary's whistles -

I enjoyed the video and Captain Wells explanation - it was very clear.

Although I have travelled on the QM2 many times, I have not done a transatlantic - I have been very tempted by the QE crossing to Florida in Jan 2013 but after Captain Wells explained the difference between the ships I think I will only do it on the QM2 now...

• 4 years later...

A great explanation in this YouTube

I realize this is a 4-year old thread. And the difference was really apparent with some of the pitching we had on this WB trip. No way would I have wanted to make this crossing on a floating condo.

Interestingly, about half the passengers on this sailing are first-time Cunarders. I'd like to think that QM2's pedigree and construction is a big reason why they would choose a December crossing.

I realize this is a 4-year old thread. And the difference was really apparent with some of the pitching we had on this WB trip. No way would I have wanted to make this crossing on a floating condo.

Interestingly, about half the passengers on this sailing are first-time Cunarders. I'd like to think that QM2's pedigree and construction is a big reason why they would choose a December crossing.

We've done 5 trips on the QM2 & one on the QV. The QV rocked & pitched even in mild seas. Pretty bad. There is a video showing the 3 queens in the North Atlantic & the QV was struggling compared to the QM2 & QE2.

Nice video---- I did a b2b T/A crossing a few weeks ago.... its marvelous.

Interesting how you throw few " commercials" into this mix!

(1) the luggage transfer service

(2) the insurance company

(3) and some site "Luxury only"

Agreed! It is just a delight to sail an iconic ship like QM2.

thanks for this link...i loved seeing the footage from the original queen mary

i sailed her back in 1963..

we were in first class (back in the days when classes were classes, with locked gates in between)..

i was 7 years old and it was like living in a fairy tale..

thanks for this link...i loved seeing the footage from the original queen mary

i sailed her back in 1963..

we were in first class (back in the days when classes were classes, with locked gates in between)..

i was 7 years old and it was like living in a fairy tale..

The Queen Mary is probably my favorite of all the ocean liners. I love visiting it in Long Beach when I can. I never sailed on it, but my grandfather and great uncle both sailed on it when they were GIs during the Second World War. How wonderful that you got the chance to sail the Queen Mary. It must have been wonderful. :)

Edited by Loveboat1995
Adding more text.

The Queen Mary is probably my favorite of all the ocean liners. I love visiting it in Long Beach when I can. I never sailed on it, but my grandfather and great uncle both sailed on it when they were GIs during the Second World War. How wonderful that you got the chance to sail the Queen Mary. It must have been wonderful. :)

i'd love to go to long beach some day to see her...

i probably have pictures of her from our voyages....

i'd have to look through about a zillion slides, but certainly my parents must have taken pictures...