Kids or no kids on Miracle?

Super89

My husband and I have booked a cruise on the Miracle for August. We have originally booked without our two kids who at the time will be 12 and 16. This was mostly for financial reasons but also because the way I understood it, they would be in different age categories and would not be able to be together doing activities which made me rather uneasy. This is our first cruise of any kind so any pros and cons to bringing/not bringing kids of this age would be appreciated;)

Regarding the different age groups, as a mother of 2 teens, who were in different age groups twice, it was a nice opportunity for them to meet kids their own age. They both had a great time on each of those cruises. I understand the financial situation, but if it had more to do with the kids being separated, I would reconsider bringing them. Some of the activities for the 12 year old would be boring for your 16 year old. And, you wouldn't want the 12 year old to hang out with the 15-17 year olds......it's a big age difference. Plus, there's still a lot of time for the family to get together as they would not be spending the whole time at camp carnival. Not telling you what to do....just my opinion that they would both have a great time if you decided to bring them.

Hi,

Our first cruise we went without our kids. We had not had a honeymoon, thie cruise was it, after 12 years. We had been on the ship for a few hours and said, "the next cruise, we will bring the kids, they would love it".

Our kids were in different age groups and were fine. They are only 18 months apart. They spent time away from each other as well as together.

If you can afford it,I'd take them. Our kids still talk about the cruise, and can't wait till Jan 1 when we will all sail again.

We have savings bonds that we contribute to each week. We are terrible savers so, we book our cruises a year in advance, by then the savings bonds have paid for the trip.

Maybe you could try that.

Brenda

Your kids will find plenty to do with kids their own age. I have my 2 daughters ages 7 and 15 with me on every cruise since they were 3 and 11. They always have something to do. Sometimes too much being a single dad, sometimes they just have to many things to do and not enough time to spend with dear old dad.....LOL

Bring the kids......I have 2 - 19 months apart.......they loved it. Both mine were in different groups the first time,they like it that way. We always had check times and they were bubbling over at the stuff they both had been doing!! My youngest 14 does not do the "group thing" he usually will goto 1 or 2 groups things then find a friend or 2 and they end up hanging togther the whole time, swimming, pizza, cards...... TAKE THEM!

Thanks so much for the replies. I think we will revisit our finances. We have booked a balcony room (guaranteed, no room number yet) so maybe we will check to see if there is a quad left. For the people who go with their kids,if you book a quad, do you feel crowded? Would it be better to get rooms next to each other if that's possible. I would probably have to go with the quad pricewise but am curious about the space. It is our 20th anniversary so some privacy might be nice too! ;)

If you are all 4 in one room, count the privacy OUT:p Well, there is the bathroom... but it is a small cabin, just one room... you could always use the balcony for privacy, but all the kids have to do is come out there... if you are looking for some privacy, get two rooms ;)

At 12 and 16 they will never be in the room, they will be having too much fun, trust me, my kids are out more than I am on a cruise. As for privacy, no problem. They will leave the room every night after they change clothes after dinner and you won't see them again for hours. Not a problem.;)

When we cruise, we have a little "afternoon delight" while the kids are in the kids program. That way, we still get a little quality alone time if you know what I mean.:D

It's usually much cheaper for all 4 of us to share the same cabin, so that's what we do. And even though my husband is 6'6", there is never a complaint by anyone about the size of the cabin or space issues since we don't use it much. There's just so much going on and so much to do that our cabin is usually just used for sleeping.

As far as the kids programs go, they will let the older kid go to the younger kids group. So the older kid and the younger one can hang out together in the younger kids group if they want to. That's what we did with our kids and it worked out great. But they never let a younger kid go to an older kids group, no matter how big he looks or how mature he is. I hope this helps!:)

Thanks so much for the replies. I think we will revisit our finances. We have booked a balcony room (guaranteed, no room number yet) so maybe we will check to see if there is a quad left. For the people who go with their kids,if you book a quad, do you feel crowded? Would it be better to get rooms next to each other if that's possible. I would probably have to go with the quad pricewise but am curious about the space. It is our 20th anniversary so some privacy might be nice too! ;)

We've taken the kids on the last several cruises. Couldn't take them on the first cruise as we had no children.

The kids have always had a good time. They've found people their age to hang with, whether they have gone to Camp Carnival or not. At least go to the meet and greet session.

As far as a quad balcony, you should be able to get everyone in the room with no problem. We've done the quads rather than a second cabin. We've also managed to find time to be alone too.

Thank you so much everyone for your input. I talked to DH last night and we decided to bring the kids if they want to come. (gee what do you think are the chances that they won't?):rolleyes: DS has had a paper route for years and has quite a sum in the bank and DD has a job in a supermarket so we will "let" them help pay for thier trip as that is the only way it is feasible. Can't wait till they get home from school to tell them! :D I already checked and there are still seats on our flight and there is a balcony quad available so we are all set. Hurry up August!!:cool:

Super89-

I'm glad it will work out that you can go on a family cruise together! When are you going? We will be on the 8/14 Miracle sailing and will have two 13-year olds with us - a boy and a girl.

Hi Zeke, We aren't going until the 21st. Too bad because my 12 year old is a boy and it would be nice to "know" someone around his own age. Have you taken your kids before? We told them tonite and they are VERY excited:) I am so glad we made this decision. Have a great trip and post a review when you get back! Susan

Archived