Kids don't cruise free?

tiptopz

I booked a 12 night cruise in Feb 2013 and am now having second thoughts about leaving my 2 year old daughter home for that long. I called NCL today and was told that children are added as a 3rd passenger (not FREE :eek:) but can be added at anytime.

Last year we took my 10 year old niece and my 18 month old daughter (at the time) and both were free (4 adults, 2 children) on the Oasis of the Seas (RCI).

Is this just something with NCL? Does anyone know what a "3rd person" cost would be in comparison to the 1st or 2nd?

It is a recent change - last year you evidently you paid port fees and taxes only for a child under 2. I would be VERY surprised if the 10yo was free - unless you happened to hit a "kids sail free" sale.

It is what the other cruiselines have been doing for quite some time - a filled berth is a paying passenger. There are several threads that were bouncing around this weekend that discussed all of the details.

;)

Last year we took my 10 year old niece and my 18 month old daughter (at the time) and both were free (4 adults, 2 children) on the Oasis of the Seas (RCI).

As a previous poster said, you must have hit a sale. From RCI's website:

Because Royal Caribbean cruise vacations offer so many special activities for children, we do not usually offer discounted rates. However, anyone staying in the same stateroom with two full-fare paying guests will pay a special third and/or fourth guest rate. So if you intend on having your children stay in your stateroom, their rate may be lower.

As stated above, this is a recent change for NCL. The fare of the 3rd person will vary with supply and demand just like other fares. Sometimes NCL runs a sale on 3rd/4th passengers, but not always. I was curious what other cruise lines were now doing. The OP mentioned getting free fare for children on Royal Caribbean. As a test, I created a mock booking on RCI's website for a December Caribbean cruise for 3 people with one of them being less than 2 years old. In my test, they seem to indicate a third person charge of $574 (passengers 1 and 2 are at $829) + taxes/fees. This price shows right up to the stage in the process where they want to know how I intend to pay. So unless they take out the 3rd person charge after the fact or you have to call to get the free child, it looks to me that RCI also now charges for children. Perhaps the OP happened upon a "children cruise free" sale.

We've found NCL's 3rd and 4th passenger rates were significantly cheaper than other lines (RCI, Princess, Celebrity) and about the same as Carnival. I believe the rate depends on the ship and the sail date. Summer & spring break will be higher due to increased demand for 3rd/4th berths.

We're going in Jan 2013 and the rate was about $285 each. Carnival was around $300 as well. Celebrity and Princess tended to be around $500 and RCI was up to $800-900 for the larger ships like an Oasis.

Shore Excursions for infants still appear to be free, and a slightly reduced rate for children on most excursions.

Thank you for all the responses. I must have hit a deal and not even known it! I guess it makes my decision easier to get used to the fact and leave her with her grandparents for the two weeks! ;)

For future cruises I will definitely be watching for the "kids cruise free" sales. Or maybe after having a vacation without her I won't actually worry about being away from her for longer than a night :rolleyes: :D

Archived