QM2: Baked Alaska routine?

gracecarmo

Inquiring minds want to know if they do the Baked Alaska dance.(farewell dinner)...please tell me it ain't so! I know it is very traditional on all other lines, and wonder if Cunard follows suit?

Grace

Grace,

On the QM2 the Baked Alaska Dance is replaced with the parade of Chefs. On the last evening the Cruise Director introduces the Executive Chef to the seated restaurant crowd. Shortly thereafter to a thunder of applause and some rousing music the executive chef strolls around the Britannia followed by dozens of his cooking cohorts.

Cruiserking

On QE2 Mauretina and Caronia Dining Rooms do the Baked Alaska parade. Having seen this in Caronia I can tell you it was quite a procession. The room is decorated with flags of the nations and the music played is very proper, uplifting - not Hot, Hot, Hot.

Gracecarmo,

I am curious. Why the "please tell me it ain't so" comment? Do you find the tradition tacky altogether? Or have you just seen it too many times?

I remember seeing it as a 15 year old on the Oceanic (Home Lines) and it was great fun. I do not know how I would feel if I experienced it repeatedly.

Paul

The last time I saw the Baked Alaska routine, it was at a wedding (at one of those east coast catering halls) when I was about 14. So I suppose it is regarded by most as being as passe as Doris Day's "Do the Hokey Pokey..."

Of course my darker side of humor would be interested in seeing it just to watch the faces on the passengers. Could make for good book material... We could throw in that dance number along with "Proud Mary" and really watch the responses!

Perhaps some things are best left a memory...

I, too, have mixed emotions about the process. On the one hand, I remember it well from crossings as a child on the Italian lines, and miss the tradition. On the other hand, there are so many other ways I'd choose to use up my calorie allotment, so Baked Alaska isn't high on my list. Now if they did a parade of the cheese carts...

I've also heard of (and unfortunately seen on some lines) the addition of waving cloth dinner napkins over head as either the Baked Alaska parade or the Parade of Chefs happen. Now some will say this is a bit of endearing cruise enthusiasm and spirit. It reminds me, however, of sporting events! And the last time I checked, fine dining was just that, fine dining. Not an event at a sports bar.

But I will allow that, had I never seen the Baked Alaska procession before, I'd probably want to experience it once, simply because of the lore, and who am I to deny new cruisers that experience. Just no "towel waving" please.

Paul NH,

Yes, I do find the Baked Alaska Parade/Dance rather tacky and passe. And yes, I have seen it at least 32 times. Maybe after all those parades, I want to see something new and different, and on the QM2 I would expect that to happen.

Grace

Not if Princess has anything to say about it. The Baked Alaska parade is a tradition on their ships. Although, I don't think I've ever seen people wave their napkins in the air. (or, I've thankfully blocked it out) :)

Got a huge laugh out of the cheese cart and the Proud Mary comment.

Gads, that was funny!

Umm... Perhaps we'll see the advent of Baked Alaska and Non-Baked Alaska seatings/Sections? :D Of course my boys would love the burnt meringue and ice cream combo.

Jeanne,

I hope that you didn't infer from my comments that I thought it tacky on Cunard. The "towel waving" was on another line entirely, and that was what the object of my scorn. I've not experienced the pagentry of the Baked Alaska on the QE2, as I haven't dined in those two dining rooms. But the memories from years ago are fond ones. Most anything done on the QE2 has been done with decorum and style, I'm glad to say.

Your comment about "Hot, Hot, Hot" made me chuckle, though.

And yes, DanZ, this is just the kind of experience your kids should have! They'll love it.

Andrew

They have not done the Baked Alaska routine on P & O cruise ships for some years now. Instead as in the QM2 they have a parade of chefs. The executive chef and his staff are introduced by the Cruise Director very much like QM2 with the chariots of fire music to accompany them!!

Elaine

I was told that the new QM2 "ceremony" is another idea insisted upon by Princess Cruise Lines.

It is certainly consistent with what I saw on 'Grand Princess'. While on the one hand I do think it appropriate to compliment the chefs on their work, on the other this 'waving the napkins in the air' is more Holiday Camp than 'Liner Deluxe'. Are the passengers in the Grills put through this too? If we stop waving our napkins (some of us didn't start) and settle on polite applause, perhaps they will get the message......

Peter

Quoted by Blazer Boy:

"I hope that you didn't infer from my comments that I thought it tacky on Cunard." end quote

I found your comments entertaing and insightful and was in no way offended. Especially in regards to the Cheese Trolley - a must have on board a ship. (They might hand us all glass of port before the procession).

The Hot, Hot Hot was on the Carnival Triumph to Canada - our waiter then applied the towel to his head after the parade and waited on us with towel on head.

On QE2 sparlkers are lit and waved and it creates a beautiful sight. Everyone had their cameras out snapping away. As they procesed "Auld Lang Syne" was sung and this part:

"We two have paddled in the stream

From noon till dinner time,

But seas between us broad have roared

Since old long ago"

was moving.

Jeanne

Archived