bath to heathrow

Dorie7

Hi! we are going to travel a little post cruise and will end up in Bath. What are the best ways to get from Bath to Heathrow airport? there are three of us. Perhaps a car service or taxi? About how long will we need for the drive?

Thanks,

Dorie

The drive isn't too far once you get onto the M4, assuming no traffic problems so day of week and time of day matters. I'd say 1-1 1/2 hrs. Of course if renting add time for refuelling and return.

Other possibility is train to Reading and bus from there.

British rail tickets do vary greatly. A last minute ticket may cost multiples more than a restricted ticket purchased in advance.

Hi Dorie,

Four basic choices:

By private transfer:

At a guess around £125.

Sorry no recommendations (not my patch) but google "taxi Bath" rather than "taxi Heathrow" to get quotes from local companies, usually better value than airport or London-based services.

By rental car:

Its about 100 miles, driving time 1hr 45 to 2 hr 15, virtually all motorway, very simple.

Car rental for the day probably around £80, mebbe £100 all-in.

By coach:

http://coach.nationalexpress.com/

Journey time 2 to 3 hours, about £20 pp. Limited frequency,

Check the luggage terms on their website.

Your start point is "Bath Spa"

By train:

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

As the cockroach's post this is by train to Reading station, then connecting RailAir shuttle bus from there to Heathrow included in the ticket price

Total journey time a little over two hours. about £25 to £55 pp depending on time of day. Frequency about every 30 mins.

No luggage limitations or cost.

Again, your start point is "Bath Spa"

JB :)

Wow! Great list, John Bull!

I think that we will do the private transfer. We are going early (about 7:00 am). How should we expect traffic at that time of day, do you think?

I have 3 quotes: one for 115.11 (Bath taxi service), one for 120.00 from justairports and one for 154.00 from Smith's for airports. Would you recommend either of these over the other 2?

Thanks for the help!!

Dorie:)

Wow! Great list, John Bull!

I think that we will do the private transfer. We are going early (about 7:00 am). How should we expect traffic at that time of day, do you think?

I have 3 quotes: one for 115.11 (Bath taxi service), one for 120.00 from justairports and one for 154.00 from Smith's for airports. Would you recommend either of these over the other 2?

Thanks for the help!!

Dorie:)

Yep, best bets were going to be either coach because of cost, or private transfer because of simplicity & convenience

As I mentioned, its not my patch - but it is one of the busiest roads into London & you'll be travelling at commuter time. Hopefully others will have some idea of the traffic levels/bottlenecks & any extra time you should allow.

Including the transfer company that you choose.

Smiths are well-regarded on CC & generally the cheapest. But I'm surprised that they're even remotely competetive for this, because they're based in the Portsmouth/Southampton area so presumably a lot of empty mileage. They might even be planning to sub the job out to a local firm - like Bath Taxi Service.

Of the other two, theoretically the Bath-based one is more likely to collect you on-time since they'll start from Bath, rather than perhaps being held up travelling from a distance to pick you up & mebbe struggling to find your hotel.

Simply Airports is a big & busy concern. With such a volume of business they've understandably fouled-up from time to time, but they're generally regarded as reliable

Just my thoughts

JB :).

Archived