Railway stations in Rome suitable for disabled

jenpet

We are wanting to go to Rome by train from Citavecchia. We did it last year & got off the train at St Peters.

I am recovering from a broken ankle & taking a collapsible mobility scooter on the cruise as I will not be able to walk long distances in the ports.

We have read that St Peters station is unsuitable for wheelchair users as there are 50 steps.

There is another station in Rome & we cannot remember the name of it & we'd like to get off the train at this station.

Can anyone please tell us if it is possible to get a small mobility scooter onto & off a train at Citavecchia station & what is the name of the other station in Rome & can we get on & off the train OK there & out of the station OK?

Many thanks

Your issue won't be in Rome, but in Civitavecchia as the station there is not really accessible.

In Rome, the Trastevere and Ostiense stations both have elevators at the tracks, and the tracks at Termini are all at ground level.

Getting on and off the trains requires carry things up and down several steps as well.

I have traveled by train in several European countries in the past few years with family members in wheelchairs. As much as I love Italy and using the trains in Italy, it is one of the more difficult by train in chairs. Station personnel will help you, but I think you'd be better off to spend the extra money for one of the express trains vs. a regional train if you will be needing their assistance.

Archived