DCL or NCL - help me decide

marisa0324

So, I am still torn. I have narrowed our trip down to either:

7 days on DCL Fantasy in a Family Oceanview with verandah - cost $5200 with insurance OR

7 days on NCL Dawn in a Family suite with all of the amenities and perks - cost $4380 with insurance.

We are traveling with our 4 yr old DD and 10 month old son. We have been on the DCL Dream and our daughter LOVED it! I know she will like the newer Fantasy ship but I am not sure that I can justify the cost for a smaller room with less amenities.

The nice thing about NCL is not only the suite perks but also the fact that we live next to the port. So, we save on gas $ and the $120 parking at port canaveral.

I have never been on an NCL ship so I can't compare the kids club. Any suggestions?

We have done both, and DCL is not worth the extra cost for us (and the fact that we drive to NCL's port in 20 minutes seals the deal). Those NCL suite perks are awesome! We really prefer freestyle dining with our kids - we eat dinner when we are hungry. With the suite, you can have any meal on the ship delivered to your room (nice with an baby).

The only downside is there is no pool time for your baby, but I believe all DCL offers is a water play area, anyway. My kids liked both kids clubs when they were under 10. None of my 10 - 12 year olds like either kids club.

We've been on the Dawn with a 4 year old. I will say that the children's pool area would be a perfect set up for you. It is an enclosed area with small pool, hot tub and small, but fun dinosaur waterslides. There is plenty of room for parents to sit to observe or take a dip in the pool. You could also easily take a small blow up pool and have a wonderful time with both children in an enclosed area - easy to manage and keep an eye on both. We spent lots of time there.

The kids club is also excellent. My girls have loved every kid's club on every ship we been on.

I will say, however, that the quality of food, entertainment, etc. on the Dawn is definately not top notch for what NCL has to offer. IMHO, the Jewel has better food but lacks the fun kid's pool area. The EPIC has it ALL - our favorite ship to date - great food, amazing entertainment and super spacious, fun kid's club.

I have never been on the Fantasy, so I can't compare them. But, I will say if you have expectations of average food and entertainment, the kid's pool set up is ideal.

600x400-norwegian-dawn-Kids-Pool.jpg

While I have heard good things about the NCL kids club on these boards, I can see where there might be a few things that would make the DCL cruise preferable:

1. The pool issue, as a PP mentioned. DCL has a water play area for children in swim diapers, and NCL does not allow children in diapers to use the pool facilities. While you could bring a blow up tub, it's not quite the same.

2. Dawn is a much older ship, while Fantasy is brand new.

3. DCL has the nursery option for infants, while NCL does not (not sure if this might be of interest to you or not, but it might be nice to have the option).

4. Based on what I've read, food seems to be better in the non-specialty restaurants on DCL vs. NCL.

5. Entertainment on Disney is probably more child-friendly than the Dawn.

If you were looking to save money, what would the cost difference be for a family oceanview without veranda on DCL? And are you looking at the family suite with no veranda on Dawn, or the one with the veranda? (not sure if it is a family suite, but I know that there is a suite category on Dawn with no veranda)

In the end, I guess you have to decide whether the above is worth the extra money for your family. I could see where a suite would be tempting.

PS - While I know it is more convenient to cruise from your home port, it isn't that far from Tampa to PC (as compared to, say, Galveston to PC, or Jacksonville to Miami), and given how much you are investing in the cruise, I don't think I'd give that consideration, or the associated parking costs, much weight.

Archived