Skagway to Whitehorse

FunShipCruiser05

I read a lot on there thru the forums that Emerald lake is the ideal turn around spot as the 40 miles from there to whitehorse is boring. Looks like whitehorse has a wildlife preserve that could be interesting. Get a bite to eat at a good local spot... must be other things to do. Seems to be the wildlife spot of that town from what ive read by googling whitehorse. Has anyone been to whitehorse, if so, anything to do? Worth a drive there with 10 hours total having the vehicle?

Two years ago, we and another couple, rented an SUV from Avis in Skagway and headed to Emerald Lake, stopping along the way to see the sights. We decided to head into the Yukon and onto White Horse. Granted, it's not the most scenic drive, but we managed to encounter lots of bears meandering along the road side. So, it was worth the drive.

Once we got to White Horse, we drove through town to see what looked interesting. We toured the SS Klondike, an old sternwheeler with lots of history. Can't miss it, coming or going. We walked along the waterfront, had a light lunch, and headed back to Skagway to fill up the rental and return it to Avis.

I have friends who did the wild life preserve and enjoyed the experience.

My opinion - if you've gone this far, why not drive the extra miles to see a little more.

Darcy

We drove to Emerald Lake and back. We didn't get as far as Whitehorse. It's a great drive. I would suggest purchasing Murray's Guide that you can download for $5.00. It has all the points of interest at the different mile markers. You will see all the sights and get the information at your own pace instead of the tour buses.

You will find out that the only restroom stops are Fraser and Carcross. There is a disgusting outhouse at the Chilkoot Trail site, but I would pass that up if possible.

Archived