Southampton to Beaulieu Motor Museum

I thought I had it figured out--take the ferry to Hythe and then take the Wilts & Dorset bus to Beaulieu Motor Museum on Sep. 17 or 18. But, now I can't find that bus route anymore. If someone can give me advise on the best way to get there I would really appreciate it.

I thought I had it figured out--take the ferry to Hythe and then take the Wilts & Dorset bus to Beaulieu Motor Museum on Sep. 17 or 18. But, now I can't find that bus route anymore. If someone can give me advise on the best way to get there I would really appreciate it.

They've split "Wilts & Dorset Bus" into two companies; Morebus is what you're looking for, and you're looking for service on the Hythe to Lymington bus

http://www.morebus.co.uk/service.shtml?serviceid=1587

However, it looks like it's VERY infrequent now (Tuesdays/Thursdays/Saturdays only) and most don't run all the way to the Hythe ferry, whereas when I was a kid it was every 2 hours.

if you want to return a slightly different way as to how you got to Beaulieu (pronounced locally as Bew-lee); take the bus on to Lymington, and the train back to southampton (easy change at Brockenhurst); or take a taxi from Beaulieu back to Brockenhurst to rejoin the main rail line.

The bus service from Hythe to Beaulieu is very infrequent, and as Scottbee's post it now looks even less frequent.

It's service 112, here:

http://www.morebus.co.uk/service.shtml?serviceid=1587

This shows the service runs only tues, thurs & sat, but if you open up the "view full timetable" PDF it shows monday through saturday. :confused::confused::confused:

And some don't call at the motor museum entrance - giving you a 15 min walk from Beaulieu Garage to the museum. (up the Lyndhurst road, the villasge entrance is normally closed)

Simplest has always been to take a taxi from the rank at Hythe Pier for the six miles to Beaulieu. Arrange with the driver to collect you at an agreed time (three hours is about right for most folk, perhaps four for an enthusiast), or ask the helpful staff to ring for a taxi, there's no taxi rank in Beaulieu.

Can't help with the fare, but I'd guess around £12 to £15 each way.

Makes for an excellent day out.

(the alternatives - Train from Southampton to Beaulieu Road station & taxi from there could leave you stranded cos there's no taxi rank. Train to Brockenhurst station & taxi from there would be time-consuming & more expensive)

JB :)

We loved the town of Hythe when we were in Southampton pre-cruise in 2010. We took the ferry over, visited the town a bit, and took a cab to Beaulieu. My cousin and I toured the house and gardens while our husbands visited the motor museum. We all loved our visit.

Archived