Lost Luggage

Arrived at Palma airport 28th July at 10.30 am for our Treasures of the Med cruise on the Dream, waiting at conveyor for luggage to arrive both my wifes and mine which it didnt.

So Thomson rep checked and said it could still be on a trolly waiting to be unloaded and we should make our way to ship and wait to see if it turned up.

Did'nt want to do that so hung around for a bit whilst more checks were made nothing to be found in the meantime filled out a claim form with Iberia who are responsible for baggage handelling, and another thomson rep (he was Spanish bless him) said we could go to the ship and relax in the pool, we replied with what shall we wear dear boy or do we go skinny dipping :D.

Anyway we did eventually make it to the ship and made the reception aware of our situation( I think the manager was called Gia) and she said she would make efforts to track down said baggage.

At about 6 in the evening Gia informed us (there were 3 couples of us) that the cases had NOT been unloaded at airport apparently a small hold on the aircraft had not been checked and our cases were now at Glasgow airport and the only way to catch up with ship was to fly them to Manchester then to Naples where they will catch up to the ship.

This meant for us 4 days without clothes, toiletries etc.

I must say at this point the reception staff on board were excellent it was them who tracked down our luggage and gave us some toiletries.

Now next thing was to dash over to the shopping centre at Palma and quickly try to buy some clothes to see us by, it was easy for me just t-shirts, shorts, trainers but much more difficult for women.

Then just as we were about to pay for them did'nt the shopping centre suffer a power cut and all the tills, escalators, lights went out, :eek::eek::eek: the wife by this time was hyper and breathing into a brown paper bag. (we also missed the lifeboat drill :D)

We did mange to purchase some things and the ship did launder our clothes every day so it was bearable.

So the next time we travel we are going to take the biggest cases you can get to fit in the aircraft cabin and I dont care if it takes up all the space in the overhead locker it is going in.

By the way we still enjoy'd the criuse and are looking forward to next time.

My worst Nightmare!! I may be mad but I prepare for the worst just in case, I always pack at least 1 spare outfit in my hand luggage this year I had 2 outfits :) shorts and vest top plus underwear and a dress for the evening plus spare shoes I also have the maximum amount of toiletries and make up allowed in my hand luggage too . Better to be safe than sorry .

How did it all end for you did you get any compensation?

Yes our luggage did arrive in Naples and was in our cabin on our return from Sorrento.

As for compensation we are going through the process now Thomson say its their buisiest time and will take up to 28 days to respond.

Oh and yes big lesson learned take a BIG case as hand luggage.

What a nightmare for you i think it`s every traveller`s fear that their luggage will go missing,we distribute our clothes between mine,my wife`s and daughters cases when we travel just as a precaution of a case going missing but not even that would have worked in this case.

Archived