Can you hire a Taxi for a day and how safe is it

jtwanabe

I want to go completely around Cozumel island stopping when I want to see

the ocean. I'm traveling alone.

1) Is that done?

2) How much?

3) Is it safe?

4) Can you prearrange it ...(is that safe?)

Hey!!!! what happened to my count down timer?

1) Is that done?

2) How much?

3) Is it safe?

Best to get one at the pier area. Don't walk out to the main street and then get one.

When you walk out from the cruise area there will be taxis lined up on the right hand side. Besides lots of guys trying to selll you shore excursions

yes taxi is safe in Cozumel. Ive taken them all over Mexico and Cozumel is even safer

I felt safe in Cozumel, however, I see you're traveling alone. I don't know if you are a man or woman, but as a woman I would not want to pick up a cab and drive around alone. It's all about your personal comfort level. If you think you might be nervous, i wouldn't do it. I would think that if you are even questioning it, that's your signal that you might be uncomfortable. You should go with your gut feeling. It's usually correct.

1) Is that done?

2) How much?

3) Is it safe?

You can also rent a car in Cozumel. There is a rental place right there among the shops at the pier. My husband and I rented a car once, and my daughter and I rented a car once. No problems at all. It's about $65.

We will be in Grand Turk in Jan. My DD and DH are going deep sea fishing so Mom and I thought we might like to just get a taxi and be driven around to see the town and some sights. Where are the best cabs and how much do you think it would be for a couple of hours? Any ideas?

http://www.cozumelbarhop.com/

If you don't mind bar hopping, this tour goes all around Cozumel to the other side of the island. They have to have at least 6 people to book on your visit date and they told me people don't usually book far in advance so I'm still waiting to see if there will be enough people for me in Feb. I haven't done the tour myself but have read good things about them.

We will be in Grand Turk in Jan. My DD and DH are going deep sea fishing so Mom and I thought we might like to just get a taxi and be driven around to see the town and some sights. Where are the best cabs and how much do you think it would be for a couple of hours? Any ideas?

We did that last year.

There were four of us and it was $120 for the day.

We went to the back of the island, that weird place down by the little ruins, and a bit of shopping.

From what I understand from reading this board for years about car rental is that if you have a fender bender on Cozumel then you are highly likely to be missing the boat.

Not worth the risk to me.

I have never done this in Cozumel but you will be fine. This is one of the safest ports.

We did this, unplanned, in Jamaica and was fantastic !! Found a cab driver and asked to go to the best restaurant for "Jerk". The driver was great and took us to a local restaurant where we were the only tourist's. Best damn Jerk Pork and Chicken I've ever had. The driver waited for us and once back in the cab we asked if he would show us the area. What a tour !!! The driver was fantastic and when he took us back to the ship all he wanted was $50 for about 4 hours. I gave him $100 and I've never seen someone so happy. We learned about the local folks and saw more of the country side. Give it a try.

1) Is that done?

2) How much?

3) Is it safe?

Yes a taxi is safe in Cozumel. But just like here in the USA always be aware of your surroundings. There a ton of vendors selling all sorts of excursions at the port.........plenty of Taxis, too. If still not feeling safe....there is a bar hoping tour that goes to the other side of the island that is sold thru the cruise ship excursion....i think?

we have rented a jeep in the past and done the tour ourselves

We did the Cozumel Bar Hop and it was fantastic. You got to see some beautiful beaches, have some cocktails and not worry about driving. Also, you get to meet some really nice people. Check it out on line and make a reservation. Tom is awesome and really takes good care of all of his guests. We've also hired a taxi for the day and feel that the Bar Hop was a much better option for us.

1) Is that done?

2) How much?

3) Is it safe?

very safe....................

When I travel with someone, we have no problem hiring a taxi for a private tour. When I go solo, I would not do this. You are in a strange place with a complete stranger. Maybe you could find other passengers willing to split the cost of a taxi so you won't be alone. Otherwise I could take a ship excursion.

I would advise against renting a car. A while back there was a thread about a man renting a jeep in Mexico. He got into an accident. To make a long story short, he was jailed, missed the rest of the cruise, his family went on without him and cost him a lot of money to get out of jail. He had to contact friends in the US to come down and bring money. You are not in the US and don't just exchange papers.

1) Is that done? yes2) How much? $95.00 for 3 hours through Gerry3) Is it safe? yes

4) Can you prearrange it ...(is that safe?) Yes, through Gerry

IF you are going to wait until you get there...the only thing issue you might have is getting a taxi driver that speaks English well enough for you to be comfortable.

Check out this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=545681 I have used them twice, and all of the people in my party have thought this was one of the best days of our cruise: very dependable and safe. Be sure to check out the most recent pages, because it has the updated website link to get in contact with them. It is so nice to travel with a driver who seems to know everyone. We were able to drink and swim in the water while our driver kept watch over our stuff. He was not so clise as to be annoying, but always was right there when we seemed to need him.

1) Is that done?

2) How much?

3) Is it safe?

Don't know what happened to your countdown timer!

We're in Cozumel in November, and I wanted to see the "other side" of it. Found threads about Cozumel Bar Hop and everyone seemed to like it, even if they didn't drink. $49, takes you completely around the island, stopping at 4 bars on the east side, you're free to go to the beaches, eat, drink, whatever. I emailed them about time since our ship is only there until 3, and Tom confirmed we would be fine, back at the pier at 2:10.

I think you're totally safe in Coz, but I wouldn't rent a car after reading the horror story about the man involved in a wreck. The bar hop bus can be arranged in advance. If you prefer to be alone, the other web site recommended for taxi drivers sounds good, too.

Please make yourself aware of the risks of renting a car in Mexico -- I'm glad folks had a good time with no problems, but an unfortunate accident could have dire results. Guilty until proven innocent is the standard in Mexico.

I'm not a Mexico basher at all, but it is not the U.S. Your car insurance is not valid and neither is your health insurance. We love Mexican cruises and miss them very much since there are so few now.

Mexican authorities may not allow a medical evacuation until full restitution is made. Many years ago a San Diego resident died in Tijuana because Mexico would not allow him to cross the the border for the treatment he needed in San Diego. He had the misfortune of having an accident with a Mexican official. By the time his Congressman interceded, he was dead. Things have certainly not gotten any better in Mexico since then.

On cruises we rent cars in Hawaii, in Mexico take a cab!

Grand Turk is a very small island, we rented golf carts and went all over the island.

Archived