Noro outbreak on glory

ChefSusan

At breakfast on the last day, there were plates, glasses, and napkins all over. Nothing was being taken away, and while the staff had gloves and face masks, we had nothing.

The cdc has reported 205 cases, or 5-6% had a reported illness, but there were many more. Carnival did not react in a reasonable amount of time given the circumstance. I am not someone that stirs up trouble for no reason, but there were problems here, and the officers should have done more (water, powerade-what to do withsoiled items?) and made announcements more quickly than they did to help us.

Sounds terrible...

Finally, some good news. Got a call from Michelle @ Priceline.com about my email concerning our August 6-11 cruise on the Glory. She informed me the trip insurance we bought from her through Travel Guard Insurance will be reimbursing us (kids portion) for the 24 hour quarantine. Filling out a few simple forms and I can expect a check in the mail in 2-6 weeks. Thankfully, I asked for a printout from the nurse who cared for my kids of the records of their treatment on the ship BEFORE I left the ship which showed the "isolation period". 2 things I will always do on future trips: book through Priceline and buy trip insurance.

That's good to know.

Sounds terrible...

While I can't disagree with Keepmovin, we were on the Main deck, but there was no unusual amount of clutter in the hallway on any morning.

On any cruise, I leave our room service breakfast tray, on the coffee table, and our steward takes such away when they do our morning service. I never simply dump the tray out on the hallway floor.

But I do have to wholeheartedly agree, that the Officers should have done more when it first started on Embarkation day.

This was our first cruise. I saved for eight months, took off a week of work and was hoping for the best vacation ever.

The second evening of the cruise, my cousin got sick, very shortly after dinner. We thought it was food poisoning and did not report anything. By the third evening, my husband was ill. He made it to the bathroom, but it was hours until it was cleaned the next day. On Thursday, my oldest was sick, and we could get any fresh towels (different cabin) for almost 24 hours. They announced that their was a "higher than normal GI outbreak" and you should report to the medic. By that time, my husband went down and complete cdc forms for him and our son.

However, there were so many people, some left without being seen. There were biohazard bags, towels and wastebaskets in the halls for the next two days. As my youngest got off the ship, he started vomiting. I was helpless as a mom to do anything. The crew that spoke with us, stewards and wait staff were nice, but completely overwhelmed. At breakfast on the last day, there were plates, glasses, and napkins all over. Nothing was being taken away, and while the staff had gloves and face masks, we had nothing.

The cdc has reported 205 cases, or 5-6% had a reported illness, but there were many more. Carnival did not react in a reasonable amount of time given the circumstance. I am not someone that stirs up trouble for no reason, but there were problems here, and the officers should have done more (water, powerade-what to do withsoiled items?) and made announcements more quickly than they did to help us.

I totally agree with you. We had a similar experience. Knowing how sick people were and not evenautomatically providing garbage bags for the trash cans! I asked and my steward gave me a handful of can liners so they DO have them. Also, what to do with the soiled linens? My steward said he needed to bag them separately when he was around but he wasn't always around of course. When we got to breakfast Saturday (kids didn't want to eat but DH and I wanted coffee). We passed many tables before we found a clean one. There was barely anything out to eat or any workers around. There weren't any coffee cups out at the first coffee station but I found 2 at another station where the people were complaining there wasn't any coffee left. Thursday thru Saturday were a true nightmare for my family (and many others). On top of that, my son is still not eating normally and doesn't have his energy level back. Dr. says to keep hydrated and bring him in if he continues this way.

I'm chiming in on your trip review....

We had the same miserable trip the week after...beginning on august 11.

I am posting wherever I can....I'm so angry.

My son in law, daughter and grandson all got the noro virus....

We waited in the port terminal for a very long time before they allowed the passengers to embark on the Glory.....

they handed out papers telling that the virus was on the previous cruise....and they were cleaning the ship.....

Well...if they were cleaning the ship ....how did my whole family get the virus?....and let's face it....can they really clean the entire ship....every door handle, every handrail, every telephone, every television, hairdryer..etc......?

But what I wanted to post was the most disgusting of all.....once you read this, you will never want to sleep in any cruise ship bed....

My grandson vomited in his parent's bed....the steward was quick to come in and change the linens....so he stripped the bed, took off the fabric mattress cover, turned the mattress over and remade the bed with fresh linens....If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it....So now we're laying on a mattress where someone else probably vomited, urinated etc....

WHY DON'T THE BEDS HAVE VINYL MATTRESS COVERS ON THEM?

I chimed in on other blogs and cruise critic roll call about this awful experience.....and folks actually think that people who endured this are trying to 'stir up controversy'....hard to believe.....

It makes me never want to leave the comfort and cleanliness of my own home/bed....

Anyone who is considering this cruise or any other, especially with Carnival...should have their head examined....

We waited in the port terminal for a very long time before they allowed the passengers to embark on the Glory.....

they handed out papers telling that the virus was on the previous cruise....and they were cleaning the ship.....

Well...if they were cleaning the ship ....how did my whole family get the virus?....and let's face it....can they really clean the entire ship....every door handle, every handrail, every telephone, every television, hairdryer..etc......?

But what I wanted to post was the most disgusting of all.....once you read this, you will never want to sleep in any cruise ship bed....

My grandson vomited in his parent's bed....the steward was quick to come in and change the linens....so he stripped the bed, took off the fabric mattress cover, turned the mattress over and remade the bed with fresh linens....If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it....So now we're laying on a mattress where someone else probably vomited, urinated etc....

I chimed in on other blogs and cruise critic roll call about this awful experience.....and folks actually think that people who endured this are trying to 'stir up controversy'....hard to believe.....

It makes me never want to leave the comfort and cleanliness of my own home/bed....

Anyone who is considering this cruise or any other, especially with Carnival...should have their head examined....

Did you expect for them to throw the mattress out after one throws up? They had a mattress pad on and sheets right? Did you ask them why they don't put vinyl covers on? It probably does make sense to do it but....

:cool: H'mmm!! You should never stay in a Hotel room then!!!!:rolleyes:

This post is a little over the top. I guess the noro waited to attack them when they boarded, because the noro carrier couldn't possibly be near the crowd waiting to board.

As for the cleanliness of poster's home, are you saying no one in the family has ever been sick? If they had, do you track down the source? Oh, never mind, she's not leaving the comfort and cleanliness of her home>

....and let's face it....can they really clean the entire ship....every door handle, every handrail, every telephone, every television, hairdryer..etc......

As I mentioned, I was on the 8/6 cruise. Once Carnival took action, they were indeed literally scrubbing the place down.

From what I understand, most of those affected were kids in the Circle C program. So, everything that was unique to them, like the Circle C room and the video arcade, was closed down on Wednesday and scrubbed down from top to bottom. And from what I saw on debarkation day, cabins of those they knew about being sick were scrubbed down too. It was like a bio-hazard team in the movies; masks, thick rubber gloves, etc.

Again, my only complaint is why did Carnival wait two days to do this? Why wasn't such actions started on embarkation day when that crew member vomited in the food area on the Lido deck?

Of course, as on any cruise, always wash your hands before eating anything, even just a quick snack. And make use of the hand sanitizers located in all food service areas. IMHO, that's the #1 thing you can do, to protect yourself and your vacation.

I just find it funny that this is the first you mention of this sailing in any of your posts.. You asked questions and participated in other rollcalls and asking questions of AMA but not of the Carnival Glory??? WEird....

How did your family get sick? You forget about the B2B'RS and crew that are still on the ship...plus it sounds like someone from the ship or from land may have spread it around, (The Glory docked in Halifax NS this week. A popular waterfront restaurant is currently shut down until early next week due to what look likes a norovirus outbreak. Dozens of patrons, including myself, got very ill.) So I guess it is not just the uncleanliness of the ship itself you have to worry about ;(

As I mentioned, I was on the 8/6 cruise. Once Carnival took action, they were indeed literally scrubbing the place down.

From what I understand, most of those affected were kids in the Circle C program. So, everything that was unique to them, like the Circle C room and the video arcade, was closed down on Wednesday and scrubbed down from top to bottom. And from what I saw on debarkation day, cabins of those they knew about being sick were scrubbed down too. It was like a bio-hazard team in the movies; masks, thick rubber gloves, etc.

Again, my only complaint is why did Carnival wait two days to do this? Why wasn't such actions started on embarkation day when that crew member vomited in the food area on the Lido deck?

Of course, as on any cruise, always wash your hands before eating anything, even just a quick snack. And make use of the hand sanitizers located in all food service areas. IMHO, that's the #1 thing you can do, to protect yourself and your vacation.

My kids both got sick 8/8-8/9. Neither one of them stepped foot in the teen area or the arcade or participated in any of their activities. Anymore ideas? Also, I think you, like most people, never realized the gravity of the situation. There were people sick all over that ship. The fact that only 205 reported it, and the rest suffered in silence is appauling. A woman I saw (only know her to see her) at church today told me she saw my family leaving the ship but I hadn't noticed her. I asked if they had gotten sick, she said, "no, not like everyone else. My son did throw up one day but not like everyone else" Then she said, "Well, I suffered from sea sickness for 2 days mid week". Is she for real???? She had it!!!! Denial must be a wonderful place to live. It saddens me to know that another (litterally boat load) of people were exposed to what we endured that week. If anything, the boat going out on the 11th has more of a cause to be angry. When Carnival let that 1st passenger through its doors they were saying "It's safe to go on board" and as we are finding out here that was not the case.

I will tell you what I told countless number of people on the 8/11/2012 sailing - if you have any complaints and/or issues regarding either Noro outbreak on the 8/6/2012 sailing, or the post-Noro events on the 8/11/2012 sailing, you have two courses of action: contact Carnival's Guest Relations Department, or contact your Travel Agent. They will know how to handle this type of situation.

We were on the August 6th to August 11th cruise too.

Let me give you, my own opinion.

On embarkation day, we were up on the Lido deck, just finishing our lunch, and waiting for our cabin to be ready.

A crew member working around the food service area on the Lido deck vomited. emotion-41.gif

No one seemed to care, nor got around to cleaning it up. After a while (10-15 minutes?), another passenger reported such to a "bus boy" in the area. The "bus boy" put a napkin under his shoe, and attempted to clean up the mess. All he really achieved, was to spread the mess around.

A while later, I noticed an Officer walking by. He gave me about 10 seconds to explain why I stopped him, and continued on his way. I had expected someone to come and clean. Nope. I was sitting there for about another 45 minutes, and nothing was done. But by then, the mess was walked thru and spread all over.

IMHO, it could have been handled much better by Carnival. Some thoughts are:

• A sick employee should not be working, let alone in a food service area.
  • Accidents do happen, but there should have been some positive actions taken to contain the situation.
  • After I reported such to an Officer, something should have been definitely done (but wasn't).
  • The food service area should have been closed, and the area sanitized after the crew member got sick.

By Wednesday, the ship finally started to take some actions. They closed the Video Arcade to sanitize it. Those closed all the self-service ice cream machines, and scrubbed them clean. They started to make constant announcements over the PA asking (begging?) passengers to keep washing their hands.

I really think that most, if not all, of this could have been eliminated or reduced if some action was taken by Carnival back on embarkation day.

BTW, for future cruisers worried, just make sure you always wash your hands before eating, and as an extra precaution, make use of the hand sanitizer dispensers available at each food service location.

Just wanted to say I've had norovirus not long ago, and also confirm there was no 'I feel sick' before I started projectile puking. It was horrible!!! It lasted 24 hours until it stopped making me umm from every umm lol I'm sure the employee didn't know he was sick until it happened. Off to the Glory in a week and a half. Woohoo :))

My kids both got sick 8/8-8/9. Neither one of them stepped foot in the teen area or the arcade or participated in any of their activities. Anymore ideas? Also, I think you, like most people, never realized the gravity of the situation. There were people sick all over that ship. The fact that only 205 reported it, and the rest suffered in silence is appauling. A woman I saw (only know her to see her) at church today told me she saw my family leaving the ship but I hadn't noticed her. I asked if they had gotten sick, she said, "no, not like everyone else. My son did throw up one day but not like everyone else" Then she said, "Well, I suffered from sea sickness for 2 days mid week". Is she for real???? She had it!!!! Denial must be a wonderful place to live. It saddens me to know that another (litterally boat load) of people were exposed to what we endured that week. If anything, the boat going out on the 11th has more of a cause to be angry. When Carnival let that 1st passenger through its doors they were saying "It's safe to go on board" and as we are finding out here that was not the case.

Thank you for backing up my claim...

to the rest of the 'haters' ... who are in denial about this....and to the person who commented on my AMA questions....go scratch!

This post is a little over the top. I guess the noro waited to attack them when they boarded, because the noro carrier couldn't possibly be near the crowd waiting to board.

As for the cleanliness of poster's home, are you saying no one in the family has ever been sick? If they had, do you track down the source? Oh, never mind, she's not leaving the comfort and cleanliness of her home>

You leave me no choice but to classify you as an idiot! Since

there is no cure for stupidity, you are stuck with that disease!!!!!!!!!

:mad: The Glory docked in Halifax NS this week. A popular waterfront restaurant is currently shut down until early next week due to what look likes a norovirus outbreak. Dozens of patrons, including myself, got very ill.

The local news in Hailfax said that as many as three restaurants on the waterfront were closed for the most of this week due to NORO...

Passengers, who were sick, had left the ship gone into town and passed along their illness.

It is unfortunate that this has happened to the passengers, and to the restaurant owners and their staff in Halifax.

Archived