binoculars...again

ncamy

I know much has been written on binoculars on this board. Even after reading the infomation posted when I went to sierratradingpost.com to sort through the choices, I was once again lost. We have successfully purchased items through this company in the past at great discounts and thought that they would be the perfect place to get binoculars. My husband has no interest in spending hundreds of dollars on a pair; however, Sierra sells things at 40-75% off retail at all times. If anyone has the time to check out their offerings and then give me some feedback as to which would be suitable for an Alaskan cruise, I would greatly appreciate it. We plan to share the binoculars among myself, my DH, and DD(12). Husband wears glasses and DD wears contacts if it makes a difference. Thank you so much.

You could do a lot worse than the 7x35 Nikon at 69.95. These are a bit larger but that

makes them easier to use for people with glasses than the smaller, compact types.

Nikon is a good name and makes a good product so quality should be acceptable although not what you could expect from the much higher priced ones offered.

7 power magnification is pretty standard and easier to hold steady than higher powers.

Whatever you get, always use the neck strap when on deck.

YIKES! Check out ebay.We bought 3 pair (all at different times) and was pleased with all.The average price was $22. All new with night vision and a carrying case.Of course we dont plan on using ours except for our trip to Alaska is 2 weeks.I bought one for $1.50 but with a shipping of $16.The have many powers and brands to choose from.

Check out this source: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=223456&is=REG

I bought these, which are Bushnell 8X42, waterproof, fogproof with fully coated optics, for $64.95. The package included a case, neckstrap, cleaning cloth, and a free pair of Bolle sunglasses in a case with another cleaning cloth. I am very happy with them and shipping was reasonable and quick.

Well you can pay over a $100 if you want,and sometimes get the exact same ones from ebay.If your going to use them a lot and not lose them,then I guess its ok to invest.But for what I want in Alaska,these are working just fine for us.

Dalsal, I'm with you. I just bought two pairs of 10x25 on Ebay for $10 each. I had checked out other 10x25 pairs elsewhere, and I feel that they will be fine for this trip (and for the very rare trip to the theater). One pair is for me, the other for my 15 year old DS. If he stays true to form and loses them, at least I won't be out lots of $$$$.:)

For that price on ebay, you are getting rip off copies or some other inferior items. If that is good enough for you, good luck. When you have that one time chance to see something special and your binocs don't work well in low light or haze, hope you still feel same way. You can get decent ones for 50-100 almost anywhere if you look around. Buy a decent name with good glass. They won't cost $10!!!!

John, I truly do see your point and if my circumstances were different I would not have hesitated to plunk down $50+ per pair for two pairs, but I had to choose between binoculars and putting that $100+ toward a glacier hike with my son, so guess which one won out. That will be a one chance to do something special that he will never forget. I do think I did have good luck, because I tested the binocs out at dusk, mid-day and in the morning on an overcast day. They were more than "decent" and every bit as good, if not better than the Brookstone and Vivitar ones we received as gifts (that I know were at least $50+) and I had planned on taking with me. And hey, if things get bad, I have no doubt that we can ask some of our nice fellow passengers for a peek through their binocs as we cruise by Hubbard Glacier or through Misty Fjords.

Laurie

We tested ours too and seemed to have NO problem.And I agree Laurie,my $$ is going some where else.I have an old busnell (from at least 45 years ago) that was top of the line then and lets see,Ive used them maybe 3 times! So,you see,I have no problem with my ebay purchase.And nothing stops ppl from buying an expensive binocular,use them once in Alaska,and then selling them CHEAP on ebay,or their local garage sale.It does happen.We buy many things from ebay,and never been disappointed yet.So,enjoy your expensive ones,and I will just take my chances that I miss that animal! LOL...

We got 2 20x50 and 1 10x50...We have 2 binocular/cameras that are smaller and probably something like 7x35 (I have really have no idea the #s) that Im taking along.The pictures are fair,but my digital will be my main picture taking camera.

My brother is going along with us,and one of these pair I bought for him.Hes used them and loves them and hes an avid hunter and used binoculars a lot in his Army career,so Im sure our cheap ones will do us just fine.

There is a thread,Im not sure if its here or on cruiseclues.com,but one lady that goes to Alaska often has talked about her binoculars.CHeck out that thread if you want more info.

Dot

Archived