Distance from Nuremberg dock to Xmas Market?

Travel&Shop

Does anyone know the distance from where the Viking ships dock in Nuremberg for the Romantic Danube cruise to the main Christmas market? Would it be reasonable to travel there by taxi? Could I take a train? I would like to go directly to the market on my own instead of taking the tour with Viking that stops there.

Thanks!

When we were in Nuremburg with Grand Circle a couple of years ago, all of the cruise ships were docking in an Iindustrial area near RottendamerStrasse. We saw no public transportation in the area. I assume that the Christmas Markets are held on Hauptmarkt, where the year round market is. It is about 4 miles from the dock

All cruise lines offer shuttle busses.

Public transportation is also possible, but take about 40min - 1h :

Take Bus 67 from Rotterdamer Strasse to Frankenstrasse, change to U1 (subway) towards the direction Fürth, leave at Lorenzkirche.

Day pass costs 4.40€

All cruise lines offer shuttle busses.

Avalon offered buses back from the center at scheduled times but if you wanted to use the bus to get to town, you had to first sit through most of the tour until it got there.

We paid 15E to get back to the dock from the center last year.

Ok, that last email was rather hasty before I had to go to work: If cruise lines do not disembark after free time, they usually offer a shuttle bus to the center. But as you have said, the busses are used for the city tour first, so if you don't want to attend the city tour, you'll need a bus / taxi to go to the center right away.

Ok, that last email was rather hasty before I had to go to work: If cruise lines do not disembark after free time, they usually offer a shuttle bus to the center. But as you have said, the busses are used for the city tour first, so if you don't want to attend the city tour, you'll need a bus / taxi to go to the center right away.

Not true with Viking. After the initial sightseeing tour, you could stay in the main square and they supplied shuttle busses the rest of the day to and from the ship.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Viking has free bus service back and forth to the main square in Nuremberg. At least that is what they did when I was there.

We were on Viking...ymmv but my two cents on this:

The coach is only at limited times in the daytime hours. If you are transferring from Prague the transfer is not an early one. We had a delay being transferred making us even later and the service ended by the time we arrived around 5:30 (as was the promised buffet lunch) which meant we didn't eat after breakfast and then they practically held us prisoner on board when we tried to get a taxi to see the market at night.

At first they claimed we had to attend a safety drill which was actually not until the next day (instead an hour of our life wasted listening to cruise director making lame jokes) then they didn't want us to go because of the first night dinner and they said that we would see the market on the tour the next morning.

We and a couple other people had to insist on a taxi. We shared a nice taxi (4 of us) about a 15 min ride ea way, paid about 20€ ea way with tip and prearranged with cabbie to pick us back up when market closed. We were on the Njord. People on the Ageir had better luck escaping. There were only six on our ship that saw the market that night.

Take the Taxi. The market is much prettier at night and the market is large. There is more than 1 clustered there. The next day on tour wouldn't have been enough to see half of it. Market didn't open till nearly the time we had to be on the ship for sail away.

Also, if you like gingerbread, get the dark gingerbread stars at the market. They were different than ones at any other city and the best we had IMO on the trip.

HTH!

L

Is there anyone going on this cruise? Nothing here to very recent?

Go to the River Boat Roll Call section - we have an "All Christmas Markets 2014" thread that is very active, with a roll call list maintained for all Christmas market cruises on all lines:D

(we'll be on Avalon Vista, starting Dec 5 in Nuremberg!)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1795467&page=36

Edited by Hoyaheel