Visiting A Small Village From Limon

tarheelmjfan

We're still having a hard time finding the right tour for us in Limon. We've decided we would like to experience Costa Ricans & their culture. Does anyone have suggestions for a guide or a way to access one of the small villages to see their schools, churches, & stores? We're not interested in the typical tours in Costa Rica. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Just hire a driver or taxi and go for a drive. Costa Ricans are very friendly and are more friendly the further you get away from San Jose and a cruise ship port.

Schools are everywhere and I don't know what you expect. I certainly would not drive up and walk into one any more than I would in The States. Don't believe any nonsense that you will be welcomed into the school because you brought a box of pencils. The schools are proper institutions teaching children so unless you have made special arrangements prior to your trip a American tourist mucking about probably will not be welcomed (just like it would not be welcomed and probably get you a talk from the police in the US).

Most towns, even small ones, will have a church at their center. Most are nothing spectacular when compared to famous European cathedrals but each has it's own charm. Unfortunately I don't think you can truly appreciate them as a quick stop on a cruise stop but they are nice to see.

Local shopping. Now that is something my wife and I always enjoy when we travel. Costa Rica has some big stores similar to Wally World but most small towns have at least one or two general stores that are the modern equivalent of something 50 years in the past. They have a little bit of everything and a few things we can't get in The States and bring home with us. If you are into beer, anything in a bottle saying Cerveza Artisinal de Calidad in small print near the bottom is quite good and on par with craft brews in the US. Avoid the orange can with a big monkey face.

Thanks for the reply. We wouldn't want to enter their school any more than I want to hang out in schools here. We like to see how others live, so we can feel a little better educated on the people & their way of life. That's the reason I would like to go to villages that may not be as affected by big box stores. I will look into hiring a driver.

I would try to arrange a driver and establish a price before your trip. That way you know you have someone waiting for you on the dock and don't have to be hagling on your vacation.

It is really neat just sitting watching the kids go to school. Very different than in the US. They are in uniforms and a simple "hola" usually gets you a smile and a wave. There is not the fear of strangers like in the US and the kids seem more happy in general. And they are happy walking & playing on their way to school without texting on their phones or playing a video game. I don't know if you can see it well during a cruise ship stop but maybe something to catch if you ever come back for a week.

---

I was driving 45 minutes off the closest paved road in mountainous terrain. I pulled over to relieve (truly the middle of nowhere) and as I was getting back in the truck a guy on a motorcycle pulled up. He was on the next ridge over and saw me stop so he turned around to make sure I did not need help. That is not uncommon. Violent crime is almost non-existent and the people seem to have values from a hundred years past. They have strong family and community ties and are very welcoming of strangers and more so if you are even half way nice.

The Costa Rican people are well educated and hospitable but when you get away from the tourist areas you really see it come out. It's hard to see the true depth of it during a short visit but hopefully you can get a glimpse of it while you are there.

Archived