Hide bill?

gcorgain

I am taking my 78-year old mom on a celebrity cruise in a couple of weeks. I'd like to pay the whole bill, but if she sees it, she will want to split it. Is there anyway to keep the on-board spending from her via the TV and a bill under the door? We are both registered on my credit card and sharing an AQ cabin.

Just curious. Thanks!

You are so sweet! When your mom charges anything with her SeaPass on board, she's going to get a receipt anyway, and if she's anything like my mom, she'll keep a tally of what she's spent, and really won't have to look on the TV or the printed statement. If she tries to pay you back for her share(if it's in cash), you can do what I do when in that situation with my parents; take it for now, save it and give it back to her in the form of a Visa or American Express gift card later on(save it for Christmas or her birthday whichever comes first), or when you get home place it in her jewelry box or in her pocket for her to find after you leave. She's probably going to insist on paying you back, but that doesn't mean you have to apply it. She'll feel better about "paying her fair share"(I'm familiar with this :D), and you'll know all along that you're paying for everything, so you'll both be happy and enjoy yourselves. Bon voyage!!

You guys are so cool to do such a nice thing for your Moms.:D

I am definitely my mother's daughter, I'm the same way, so I know how she works(my sister also...three of us, three of a kind!;))<lol>. We're constantly secretly(ha!) sticking money in each others' pocket, then squabbling, "Take the money!! You know I owe you!" when it's found<lol>. She insists that we need to save my money, we insist we want to treat her(and it's vice versa). My mom's a cool lady, so it's easy.

Put cash against the account in an even amount such as $700 mid cruise. Then fib :eek: and tell her it was an OBC that left a nominal account balance.

This made me think, I believe you can buy an OBC before you leave for the cruise. Then she wouldn't have any bill to pay, and if the OBC is more than what you spent you'd get the difference back. ;)

You are so sweet! When your mom charges anything with her SeaPass on board, she's going to get a receipt anyway, and if she's anything like my mom, she'll keep a tally of what she's spent, and really won't have to look on the TV or the printed statement. If she tries to pay you back for her share(if it's in cash), you can do what I do when in that situation with my parents; take it for now, save it and give it back to her in the form of a Visa or American Express gift card later on(save it for Christmas or her birthday whichever comes first), or when you get home place it in her jewelry box or in her pocket for her to find after you leave. She's probably going to insist on paying you back, but that doesn't mean you have to apply it. She'll feel better about "paying her fair share"(I'm familiar with this :D), and you'll know all along that you're paying for everything, so you'll both be happy and enjoy yourselves. Bon voyage!!

There is something to be said about allowing her the dignity of paying her own way or of buying you something. /As long as she can afford it, please let her have the pleasure of spending some of her own money.

(I write this from the older end of the line). :rolleyes:

Have been in this same type of situation with parents and in laws many times in the past.

Finally got to the point where even though we explained we are grown children and would like to treat them (for a change) because we can well afford it they just did not want to listen. My mom and dad finally gave in and stopped arguing. The mother in law was a whole different story....

Finally got to the point that I had to almost threaten her when we went to dinner. If she even dared to reach for the check I was going to create such a scene that she would not want to show her face in public again. Eventually, she came around and realized that we appreciate what they did and now it is their turn to let us take care of certain things.

Good Luck with the challenge!

There is something to be said about allowing her the dignity of paying her own way or of buying you something. /As long as she can afford it, please let her have the pleasure of spending some of her own money.

(I write this from the older end of the line). :rolleyes:

Why do you call that dignity? What is wrong with taking a gift from your child and giving them THAT pleasure. Especially if your child has an income and simply wants to share his good fortune with you-who took care of him for many years and financed his education.

I know my MIL is the same way as you- she is always insisting we take gifts-such as this year she gave hubby $2000-and she is the same way as you-she has a fit if we spend more than $50 on a gift for her. She is also on a fixed income- so why will she not give my hubby the pleasure of doing something nice for his mom?

BTW this is not the first time she gave hubby a sum of money like that. The first time she did that-I told hubby we should put it in a shavings certificate as I feel at some point she will need our help. We did that-when she found out she upset with us and said hubby should have done something frivolous. So now,we still put the money up-but we tell her whatever we were planning to do anyway (like our Med cruise this summer) that we used the money she gave us toward expenses.

Why does she wanted to give us money and we hate it? Hubby has a sis (almost 50) that does not know how to handle fiances and is always in trouble financially-hubby's mom wants to be fair-so when she gives her money she insists hubby take money also.

Why do you call that dignity? What is wrong with taking a gift from your child and giving them THAT pleasure. Especially if your child has an income and simply wants to share his good fortune with you-who took care of him for many years and financed his education.

I know my MIL is the same way as you- she is always insisting we take gifts-such as this year she gave hubby $2000-and she is the same way as you-she has a fit if we spend more than $50 on a gift for her. She is also on a fixed income- so why will she not give my hubby the pleasure of doing something nice for his mom?

BTW this is not the first time she gave hubby a sum of money like that. The first time she did that-I told hubby we should put it in a shavings certificate as I feel at some point she will need our help. We did that-when she found out she upset with us and said hubby should have done something frivolous. So now,we still put the money up-but we tell her whatever we were planning to do anyway (like our Med cruise this summer) that we used the money she gave us toward expenses.

Why does she wanted to give us money and we hate it? Hubby has a sis (almost 50) that does not know how to handle fiances and is always in trouble financially-hubby's mom wants to be fair-so when she gives her money she insists hubby take money also.

Have to say I think this was a little harsh. But I can relate because last year when we cruised with my MIL she was always 'put it on my card' which was driving us crazy.

I am taking my 78-year old mom on a celebrity cruise in a couple of weeks. I'd like to pay the whole bill, but if she sees it, she will want to split it. Is there anyway to keep the on-board spending from her via the TV and a bill under the door? We are both registered on my credit card and sharing an AQ cabin.

Just curious. Thanks!

I told my mom up front that the trip and everything else was on us. We were celebrating her 75th birthday. She was ok with that, except she wanted to pay for souvenirs she bought for my brother and niece. She bought some shirts but I 'forgot' to get the money from her later on.

On excursions I was ok with her spending money on the boys for ice cream or other little things because it does make her happy.

Archived