Toulon to Cassis on a Sunday- Help!

BeachBum1007

I would appreciate any help I can get on how to get from Toulon to Cassis. From the research I've done on CC, I will need to take a taxi into Toulon itself, the train to Cassis, and then another taxi to the main area. I have also read that there is difficulty in obtaining train tickets on a Sunday because the main ticket booths are closed. How do you get the tickets?

Does anybody have any experience doing this or can give advice on timing and costs? Also, is it stressful to do? This will be our last port in an intensive 12 day cruise and just want to go chill at the beach and take the boat to see the fjords!

Thanks in advance! :)

Had hoped someone else might jump in with info, but it hasn't happened so.....

Found these for you. It appears that Toulon ticket office should be open on a Sunday, even if closed it is most likely there will be ticket machines. Do not forget to punch your tickets in one of the machines before getting on a train otherwise an inspector likely to fine you. Yellow in colour, they are usually in the ticket hall or on a platform. Train fare appears to be approx Euro 7-90 pp each way.

http://www.toulon.com/tabid/103/Default.aspx#2120

http://www.gares-en-mouvement.com/en/frtln/services-en-gare/vente-sncf/

A Sunday complicates things for you, because logistically it is a bit of a hastle without your own transport so you will have to plan carefully.

For the Calanques boat trips you will need to choose either 3, 5 or 8 to visit. Cost depends on which tour you choose. Varies from Euros 15 to Euros 21pp. The official Cassis Tourist Info website has all the info, there is even a version in English.

You do not say when you are going, but public beaches in France have no facilities. You could opt for a private beach with chairs, umbrellas etc but they can be fairly expensive so check the cost before you commit.

You will need to check what I have written but hope some of this helps you get started.

I would appreciate any help I can get on how to get from Toulon to Cassis. From the research I've done on CC, I will need to take a taxi into Toulon itself, the train to Cassis, and then another taxi to the main area. I have also read that there is difficulty in obtaining train tickets on a Sunday because the main ticket booths are closed. How do you get the tickets?

Does anybody have any experience doing this or can give advice on timing and costs? Also, is it stressful to do? This will be our last port in an intensive 12 day cruise and just want to go chill at the beach and take the boat to see the fjords!

Thanks in advance! :)

I contacted the Tourism Office in Toulon a few weeks ago asking a similar question and this was their response.....maybe help a little

We advice you to go to the port of la Seyne (5 min walking distance from the harbour station) where you'll take the little ferry 8M reaching Toulon in 20 min, then a bus going to the train station (n7 or n23 on the avenue de la République or no3 by the rugby stadium at the end of the port). You could also take a direct bus (n8) from the port of La Seyne to the Place de la Liberté (the big square in the center of Toulon) and then join the train station by feet (5 min).

For your information, the train station of Cassis is a bit far from the port , you'll have to take again a shuttle to arrive on the port. To know more about that, please see with the Tourist Office of Cassis : www.ot-cassis.com or phone number 0892 259 892 or info@ot-cassis.com.

Thank you to everyone for your advice, I appreciate it. It's unfortunate that there's not too much information available about this port. I was hoping to catch someone who did it on a Sunday to see how complicated it got. Maybe someone will post at a later date.

For the tourism websites, any clue on how to translate it to English?

For the tourism websites, any clue on how to translate it to English?

Google usually tries to translate for me (asks me if I want to translate page) - but misses pull down menus. Not great - but I can usually work my way through.

The second of the two links I posted has a British flag at the top of the page. Click to translate to english.

The Tourist Office Cassis link in the other post also has a British flag at the top. Again, click to translate to english.

On the timetables, if it says "sauf les dimanches et jours feries" it means it does NOT run on Sundays and holidays.

Whether or not someone has been on your routing on a Sunday, it is like anywhere else in the world on a Sunday if relying on public trasnsport to get you back to your ship on time. Careful planning with particular attention to the timings of public transport is essential as there are usually fewer options on Sundays. If you can, try to go for trains, buses etc before the very last one you could get. That way you have a safety net.

If the timings look a bit tricky for what you initially hope to do, consider changing your plans.

Hope this helps.

Archived