What Packing method do you use?

I have to be inventive this time around. We got a good deal on flights but it is with a charter. Luggage weight for checked baggage is 44lbs and carry on 11lbs.

As we have never cruise I am looking for the following advice:

How to pack for less wrinkles

How to pack to keep weight within allowance.

Have been on youtube to see "rolling method" and "bundle method".

Suggestions?

As for packing wrinkle-free clothes, try to pick fabrics that won't wrinkle as badly. Also, I have always rolled clothing to take up less space and to help prevent wrinkles. Learned that trick in the Girl Scouts. :D Then, hang everything up immediately when you get to your room. Often times, wrinkles will "fall out" after a day or two.

I will say the average first time cruiser takes about twice what they really need.

This is very true.... The first couple of cruises we were on we took way to much now we have one big garment bag for the 2 of us...... on 7 days! (but we do take advantage of our free platinum laundry services) ...... Oh and we roll too.

We purchase ALL toiletries where we are flying to. There is always a Walgreens, CVS or dollar store near the airports or cruise ports. These are the things that can weigh the most.

We also purchase our water and wine in port also.:o

I have bought smaller travel size bottles for my toiletries. This week I have filled the shampoo/creme rinse bottles to see if their usage matches how long we are away.

I will use the bottles to down-size everything we take like hand creme, shampoo, creme rinse, dish soap, baby shampoo and vinegar (for cleaning my cpap machine).

So far I have 3 dresses and 1 skirt (which i have different tops for).

dress tops/leggings/Capri's/shorts/tank tops/t-shirts/3 swim suits & 2 cover ups. I will take one dress shoe, one beach flip flop, runners (wearing) and 1 birkenstock.

I am planning on two outfits a day (which includes dinner wear).

Now how to pack it???

We went to the lake last week and I decided to try the "roll" method for the first time, just to see how it worked. I took my small travel duffle and packed/rolled the way they did in a YouTube video for the trip down, but planned to pack the old way for the trip back home just to compare. Let me just say that rolling the clothing definitely takes up less space! On the way home I almost couldnt get the bag closed! In addition, on the way down my tennis shoes were packed and I was wearing flip flops and my small makeup bag was packed. On the way home I wore the tennis shoes and packed the little flip flops and the makeup bag went in my purse. I did bring three swimsuits home from the lake with me to have here to pack for our upcoming cruise, but overall I think I had more packed in less space on the way down.

We went to the lake last week and I decided to try the "roll" method for the first time, just to see how it worked. I took my small travel duffle and packed/rolled the way they did in a YouTube video for the trip down, but planned to pack the old way for the trip back home just to compare. Let me just say that rolling the clothing definitely takes up less space! On the way home I almost couldnt get the bag closed! In addition, on the way down my tennis shoes were packed and I was wearing flip flops and my small makeup bag was packed. On the way home I wore the tennis shoes and packed the little flip flops and the makeup bag went in my purse. I did bring three swimsuits home from the lake with me to have here to pack for our upcoming cruise, but overall I think I had more packed in less space on the way down.

How was the wrinkling???

I have bought smaller travel size bottles for my toiletries. This week I have filled the shampoo/creme rinse bottles to see if their usage matches how long we are away.

I will use the bottles to down-size everything we take like hand creme, shampoo, creme rinse, dish soap, baby shampoo and vinegar (for cleaning my cpap machine).

So far I have 3 dresses and 1 skirt (which i have different tops for).

dress tops/leggings/Capri's/shorts/tank tops/t-shirts/3 swim suits & 2 cover ups. I will take one dress shoe, one beach flip flop, runners (wearing) and 1 birkenstock.

I am planning on two outfits a day (which includes dinner wear).

Now how to pack it???

If you're like me and it doesn't feel like a vacation unless you're in flip flops or sandals I suggest bring another pair. My hubby only wanted to pack 1 pair of flip flops and one of them ended up breaking mid cruise (stuck under the chair leg and ripped the thong part out). I packed a backup pair for him JUST IN CASE so all was good :D

I used to roll my clothes until I saw this and it works even better than rolling.

Rolling still had some smaller wrinkles in my clothes, especially if they were linen. By the way.. I don't buy linen for travel clothes anymore. I've used the method above for work travel and even my suit came out unwrinkled.

Rolling does work, but be careful with your fabrics. It only seems to work well on certain clothes. I wear a lot of blouses and rolling doesn't work at all for those. I pack very light now and will throw in a extra shirt or so, but as long as I have a tide pen... I have never run out of clothes. Last cruise was 9 days in Europe along with an extra 4 days in Spain, a day in Lisbon and 2 nights in Orlando before coming home. All this was done with one 25 inch hard case roller suitcase along with the wine, olive oil and souvenirs I brought home.

I travel quite a bit, so I developed my own long and short travel lists for vacations or work. It took a number of trips to different areas and different climates to make sure that "everything" is on the list. I keep it stored in the computer and print it out before the trip. Anything not needed on that specific trip, I just cross out and then check everything off when it goes into the luggage.

You may want to wear your heavier shoes to the airport to save weight in the luggage. The ship provides a lot of the toiletries in your cabin free of charge like toothpaste.

Pack your luggage, then open it up and take out half of what you packed and it should come out right.

Flew non-rev (can't check luggage) to the Caribbean and Europe on 5-9 day vacations and rolling was the only method I used and it worked well.

Recently began using the bundling method and like it better - can even pack a suit! Clothes comes out less wrinkled, too

This is our first cruise but we have done Europe a few times and several land vacations in the Caribbean - so I may change my answer after going!

But I am always surprised how much people pack for any trip! We did 6 nights in Disney with 2 adults and 2 kids (4 and <1) including diapers, formula, baby food and snacks in 2 large sized suitcases (combined weight was under the 40 kilos allotted)

I roll, fill every nook and bring things that can do double duty (ie I wear a black cotton skirt or a flowy dress as a cover up... it can easily be worn into a casual place for lunch). Shorts can usually be worn 2-3 times before they are dirty (if you hang things between wears they will be fresher). I do bring at least 1 top per day and extra undies and 2 bathing suits.

How was the wrinkling???

No wrinkles to speak of! I did unpack and hang everything within an hour or two of getting there, and I will say I don't normally wear things that get super wrinkled like button down blouses, etc. I do believe my clothes were way less wrinkled than when packed the old way.

Thanks all, really liked the bundle video - have added to my favourites.

I used the rolling method until now - but everything is usually wrinkled. Also with rolling you can get alot in a bag and go overweight easily.

I have started a computer list of what I want to take.

There is no way we can just pack in carry on's. That video showed 16 garments with end weight of 21lbs. Our carry on limit is 11lbs only.

Will probably try the bundle method for carry on and checked bag. Who knows might even be able to cut one bag out somewhere.

Thanks again, may try a trial run this week.

Be careful not to bring too many clothes. If you plan on being outside sunning on sea days, you will be wearing your swimsuit most of that day. If you do wear a shorts/top to the MDR for breakfast or lunch, for instance, and then change into a swimsuit, that shorts/top can most likely be worn again. I've even known people to wear the same dress for both formal nights. The key is really to just not overpack with clothes. Also, if you plan on buying some t-shirts as souvenirs, that's less t-shirt you need to pack. The older I get, the less I pack for every emergency. I figure I can always pick up a cheap umbrella and/or rain poncho if need be or can replace a pair of flip flops if they break.

My DH once forgot to pack a single pair of shorts or flip flops for a week Caribbean cruise (I know, go figure??). We found a nice pair of Quicksilver shorts and flip flops in the Carnival gift shop for the same amount as we would have paid at a local dept store.

My DH packs way more than he needs, but never seems to have the right stuff when we get to where we are going.:rolleyes:

This time we are leaving when it is warm, going to where it's warm and returning when it's warm. I am hoping this will mean traveling lighter.:)

I do laundry during vacation, that way I can pack half as much. Is someone really going to think that I was just wearing "that" whatever "that is" three days ago? I mix and match and get the most wear of things, wash them and go again.

(who ever said doing laundry is not possible, all carnival ships have laundries)

I usually wear the heavier shoes on travel days, but this cruise we are going into a jungle and I want to wear my hiking boots. So since I wont wear them on embarkation day, my suitcase will be heavier than normal. I have the day clothes and the dinner garb, and then the "get me out of this dress" stuff for later in the evening, so that I can knock around after dinner, sit up on the lido, and not be in heels..:D

We've been trying to pack lighter each trip and if we need to have something pressed or laundered, we do it. Yes, the prices are high on the ship, but for the convenience, we build that into our budget.

I used to overpack. Now I count my outfits. shorts and top for excursions, sundress or 2 or another pair of shirts and top for sea days. evening wear I take 3 different color capris (black, white, tan) and tops for each evening to mix and match with capris. I might take a dress for formal night, but normally don't end up wearing it.

silver sandals that go with everything for evening, 2 pair of flip flops.

Same with DH. He puts way to much stuff out to pack so i make him count and choose :p. Then he realizes there is no way he can wear all those shorts and shirts he was trying to pack. But when we drive it is ok to overpack a little.

I buy all the mini toiletries. Beach bag on top of everything or filled with beach toys for granddaughter, water shoes, sun blocks etc. if we are driving.

hang everything up immediately when you get to your room. Often times, wrinkles will "fall out" after a day or two.

I have used the shower steam to help get the wrinkles out.

It's such a tiny space and the water gets nice and hot (I turn it beyond the safety stopper).

I do okay with the packing stuff, but when it comes to shoes OMgosh. I need 5 pr for me & 5 pair for dh. Yes we wear one pair each, but that's still 8 pairs of shoes. Beach/water shoes x2, sneakers for walking x2, dress sandals for me x2, dress shoes for him, casual sandals x3.

Archived