Marina - Staterooms 7000-7009 (B4 category) question

corpkid

We booked a B4 verandah stateroom for our upcoming Baltic cruise next August and were assigned 7035 (Marina). I have been eyeing the 7000-7009 staterooms which are in the forward of the ship, and have larger balconies and was wondering what the give/take was with these rooms? Is there an obstructed view to the front? I don't understand why a room with a larger balcony would be in the lowest class of verandah rooms (B4)??? :confused:

Should I be content with our 7035 which is quite mid-ship, or find out if we can swap into a 7000-7009 room? We spend a LOT of time on our balcony (hours per day, typically).

Thanks!

Dominic

Cabins are priced by position, size, and amenities.

B4 s are lower than more expensive cabins and near the very front or back of the ship. Most people will tell you they feel more motion in rough seas aft and near the bow.

Persons who are easily queasy on ships will pay more for a cabin in the middle of the ship on a lower deck where they don't feel the pitch and roll as much.

As for me, my Dad was a ships captain (freighter) my cabin on my next cruise is 7009. A bargain with larger balcony and more open with a cutaway that lets you see down the side of the ship.

We will be in the Baltic in June and plan to "feel the ocean" under us!

Thanks to Jim and Stan who earlier posted a great shot to understand this special balcony.

We booked a B4 verandah stateroom for our upcoming Baltic cruise next August and were assigned 7035 (Marina). I have been eyeing the 7000-7009 staterooms which are in the forward of the ship, and have larger balconies and was wondering what the give/take was with these rooms? Is there an obstructed view to the front? I don't understand why a room with a larger balcony would be in the lowest class of verandah rooms (B4)??? :confused:

Should I be content with our 7035 which is quite mid-ship, or find out if we can swap into a 7000-7009 room? We spend a LOT of time on our balcony (hours per day, typically).

Thanks!

Dominic

Those Deck 7, Category B4 rooms have larger or "extended" verandas at both the front and the back of the ship

165350.jpg165534.jpg The views are not obstructed, but those larger verandas lack privacy because, except for the portion nearest the cabin door, they may be overlooked from above.

123348.jpg

Cabins are priced by position, size, and amenities.

B4 s are lower than more expensive cabins and near the very front or back of the ship. Most people will tell you they feel more motion in rough seas aft and near the bow.

Persons who are easily queasy on ships will pay more for a cabin in the middle of the ship on a lower deck where they don't feel the pitch and roll as much.

As for me, my Dad was a ships captain (freighter) my cabin on my next cruise is 7009. A bargain with larger balcony and more open with a cutaway that lets you see down the side of the ship.

We will be in the Baltic in June and plan to "feel the ocean" under us!

Thanks to Jim and Stan who earlier posted a great shot to understand this

special balcony.

I wise choice indeed. You will "feel" the ocean and look dirctly down to it with no obstructions to mar the view such as a tender. People who think they might, or do, get motion sickness often opt for midships but they also fail to realize the more topside you go the more motion is felt. Therefore, selecting like catergories by price or location can be misleading.:)

Got it - many thanks!! My partner was in the Navy on several ships for a long periods of time and I grew up on the rough New England waters sailing, fishing etc. so I doubt we'd have any ill effects and we have yet to get seasick, even in a very rough storm once where the line for the medic was a hundred people long (and we were WAY up high on 14 and the ship was rolling pretty darned hard). Don't even get me started on our sail boat "adventure" from Boston to Provincetown where we got caught in a "supercell" storm. THAT was pretty rough on a 40' sailboat - but we didn't get sick (just freaked out). :cool:

We don't mind the top-down lack of privacy so much (we will be reading, chatting and sipping wine out there - so won't be much to look at)

Thanks again - I'm going to try and swap into one of these rooms right now.

Dom and Don

If you look at the pic j&s posted 7009 is the room with the angled balcony. This is the right or starboard side of the ship.

The other extended balconies have partitions almost their full length that some cruisers have said gave them a "tunnel vision" feel. This balcony is much more open.

Yes it looks like the 7008 and 7009 rooms are tops for the price (for our needs.. er... wants?). :)

NOW - can you see availability on the Oceania website? I can't seem to figure that out. I already have a call out to our TA but wanted to check ahead of time to see if those staterooms were booked... Looks like you can't see "live availability" - am I correct in my thinking?

We are now booked into 7009 for this cruise! My TA was pretty shocked when I told her to take a look at the deck plans and she saw this unique layout and now she says "she owes me one" for "educating" her. I reminded her that OBC are never a bad idea for awesome customers. She's great and I'm sure we'll enjoy our cruise.

That said - THANK you all for this advice. Now dundeene please don't trash the room too much as we'll be in it a few weeks after you. ;)

Great stuff. What did we do before CC.com?

Archived