Star Clipper Virgin Islands

molly23

If you wish to use it there is an excellent laundry/cleaning service on board. As for passports you could take a photocopy and keep it with you which might be helpful if needed.

Thank you. I read somewhere that the laundry service was very expensive. Did you think so or ??

Difficult to quantify in the absence of comparatives, although I would say "above average". However it is quality and the cost of one or two of a few items is tiny in the context of the overall cost of the holiday - and less clothing to carry.

Another Passport story: When it is time for the ship to sail and someone is not on board....supposedly....first they announce your cabin number and if there is still no response they make an announcement that your Passport is going ashore and can be picked up at the Harbor Master Office. First, that gets the attention of everyone on board. Yikes! However, if you were actually not on board, you would not hear the announcement and would not know that your Passport went ashore as you missed your ships sailing. SO, this posting is extra important....if you miss the ship, your Passport is at the Harbor Master so that you can find your way home:o

Another Passport story: When it is time for the ship to sail and someone is not on board....supposedly....first they announce your cabin number and if there is still no response they make an announcement that your Passport is going ashore and can be picked up at the Harbor Master Office. First, that gets the attention of everyone on board. Yikes! However, if you were actually not on board, you would not hear the announcement and would not know that your Passport went ashore as you missed your ships sailing. SO, this posting is extra important....if you miss the ship, your Passport is at the Harbor Master so that you can find your way home:o

Wow, that's good to know because you can never tell what twists and turns life may take. Thanks.

Laughing.....I kind of made that last post in jest.....however, it is an interesting bit of information. They make every effort to make sure everyone gets on board. With only 150 passengers, or less, it's much more personal. At one port there was a group, including my husband, who stayed at the bar onshore while others made a dash for first dibs on the shower and the tasty pre-dinner snack selections. As the sailing time approached and the bar people were not on board they actually sent a tender with a crew member to go hunt them down. It turns out that they wanted to sail early because of rough weather ahead and the passengers were not actually late......at least that's the story I got from my husband:rolleyes:

Now a question about shoes which take up so much room in my suitcase! Did you find you needed/used your runners or were you OK with walking sandals, flip flops and dressier sandals for dinner?

Are men required to wear closed toe shoes (not sneakers) to dinner or good sandals OK?

Thanks

:D

So now I'M getting worried!:eek: I'm sailing 2 weeks before you and I haven't even started thinking about packing. Well, OK, I have thought about it. As I bring out my winter sweaters (I live in California so I am only now, late November, thinking about staying warm) I have a box of summer clothes that I have set aside for this trip. Shoes: I had a pair of good walking shoes for the airport, but never put them on again....until the airport. I lived in a pair of sturdy water shoes, Teva. I walked easily in them around town and they were perfect the 2 times we had to wade ashore, Jost Van Dyke and the second part of St Kitts. I had flip flops for on the boat and cute sandals for dinner. Hubby had the same except a nice pair of leather Tevas for dinner. I'm sure there were men in closed toe shoes, but it wasn't us. There was a group that gussied up every night and they looked so darn uncomfortable compared to those that were resort casual then hurried back to their cabins and slipped on their shorts and T-shirts again....like us:D Every group is different. Remember that the Americans are usually the minority, it is mostly European. Of the 3 couples that we met and spent the most time with, and still keep in touch with, one is from Canada and the other Germany with the couple from a strangely large contingency from Colorado.....I think they all wanted to be warm! Personally, I think the best guideline is Respect. Where are you staying in St Maarten or are you arriving the same day as the sailing?

I now notice that you are from Canada.:) We had such a great time with the couple from Canada! He was deadpan serious and she was hilarious, the combination was so entertaining at dinner:p They were also "floaters" , those who enjoy simply bobbing in the water just off shore, for hours.

Hello friends!

This is my first post but long time snooper!

The hubby and I are sailing again on beautiful Star Clipper for 2 weeks in December. We just loooove sailing. Casual and easy is our style. No foo foo for us. Star Clipper is a terrific option. Good food, great sailing, terrific ports of call. Fabulous crew. The best way to run from the cold December days of Alberta! Hi Robyn, had any giant snails from France lately?

:)

So now I'M getting worried!:eek: I'm sailing 2 weeks before you and I haven't even started thinking about packing. Well, OK, I have thought about it. As I bring out my winter sweaters (I live in California so I am only now, late November, thinking about staying warm) I have a box of summer clothes that I have set aside for this trip. Shoes: I had a pair of good walking shoes for the airport, but never put them on again....until the airport. I lived in a pair of sturdy water shoes, Teva. I walked easily in them around town and they were perfect the 2 times we had to wade ashore, Jost Van Dyke and the second part of St Kitts. I had flip flops for on the boat and cute sandals for dinner. Hubby had the same except a nice pair of leather Tevas for dinner. I'm sure there were men in closed toe shoes, but it wasn't us. There was a group that gussied up every night and they looked so darn uncomfortable compared to those that were resort casual then hurried back to their cabins and slipped on their shorts and T-shirts again....like us:D Every group is different. Remember that the Americans are usually the minority, it is mostly European. Of the 3 couples that we met and spent the most time with, and still keep in touch with, one is from Canada and the other Germany with the couple from a strangely large contingency from Colorado.....I think they all wanted to be warm! Personally, I think the best guideline is Respect. Where are you staying in St Maarten or are you arriving the same day as the sailing?

Good to know! Yes, I have good water shoes so OK there and DH has nice looking sandals so happy to know we can leave more "formal" footwear at home. Plus it cuts down on the weight in the luggage.

Hope I'm not driving you a little crazy but I'm just so excited.

I now notice that you are from Canada.:) We had such a great time with the couple from Canada! He was deadpan serious and she was hilarious, the combination was so entertaining at dinner:p They were also "floaters" , those who enjoy simply bobbing in the water just off shore, for hours.

Floaters!?? I think that may be me as well! Maybe it's a Canadian thing LOL

Hello friends!

This is my first post but long time snooper!

The hubby and I are sailing again on beautiful Star Clipper for 2 weeks in December. We just loooove sailing. Casual and easy is our style. No foo foo for us. Star Clipper is a terrific option. Good food, great sailing, terrific ports of call. Fabulous crew. The best way to run from the cold December days of Alberta! Hi Robyn, had any giant snails from France lately?

Puce olive - not long for you to wait now. Have a wonderful time on your sailing adventure. Love to hear about it when you get back.

PUCEOLIVE!!!! I almost cried when I saw your post! We miss you!! I've tried to get in touch but the email you gave does not work. Must be a Canada thing:D We would have LOVED to sail with you again but decided that pre-Xmas was too much stress. We're doing the half we missed Jan 5th. We are staying in the cabin next to the Owners, bouncing in the back:cool: About snails...lots of developments there. I'll try to contact you through mosquito! So happy you came out of the lurker closet....now That will get people talking:p

Holland House is a fine property. We'll be there post cruise for a day before our flight home. Small-ish, clean and modern 3-4 story motel with a nice bar/lounge/restaurant oceanside. Numerous places to grab a decent meal or beverage within a short walk. Perfect 'low hastle' before/after Phillipsburg choice.

Last sailing we stayed at Divi Little Bay because I wanted to swim and had heard about the pollution in Great Bay. It was nice and had a good swimming beach. This time we are arriving 2 days early and staying in Marigot on the French side because we love the outdoor market there, then returning for an extra day after the cruise. I've heard good things about Holland House.

For all that wonder what a floater is: you bring a small styrofoam board or an inflatable thingy and swim for hours in the warm water. You can add drinks and jokes. The making of a great day. Where I live the local waters do not go above 35-40 degrees F. Lake Louise is so pretty but only idiots will dip in it!

You can add snorkeling and a bit of sailing too. Floating is the best!

And the best: gaining a bit of weight is an advantage!!!! You float better!!!

• 3 weeks later...
For all that wonder what a floater is: you bring a small styrofoam board or an inflatable thingy and swim for hours in the warm water. You can add drinks and jokes. The making of a great day. Where I live the local waters do not go above 35-40 degrees F. Lake Louise is so pretty but only idiots will dip in it!

You can add snorkeling and a bit of sailing too. Floating is the best!

And the best: gaining a bit of weight is an advantage!!!! You float better!!!

PuceOlive How was your trip? Wonderful, I'm sure. Just wondering if you took your own "floaters" with you or if they have stuff on the ship. I'm thinking of taking my water noodle. Thanks.

I think she's still on board, they usually do 2 weeks. The Activities Crew has noodles, I'm guessing, if not life jackets but, the water is so wonderful, warm and salty that floating is easy. I have personally had the pleasure of floating with "Olive" and it basically involves wading out far enough so that your feet still touch and bobbing in the wave line. Remember, you must be able to keep your drink cup above water! It's simply wonderful until someone decides to get the sand out of their swim trunks and someone else has an underwater camera :eek:

I think she's still on board, they usually do 2 weeks. The Activities Crew has noodles, I'm guessing, if not life jackets but, the water is so wonderful, warm and salty that floating is easy. I have personally had the pleasure of floating with "Olive" and it basically involves wading out far enough so that your feet still touch and bobbing in the wave line. Remember, you must be able to keep your drink cup above water! It's simply wonderful until someone decides to get the sand out of their swim trunks and someone else has an underwater camera :eek:

2bamboo

I can only say I'm so sorry that we are not on the same cruise! Would have loved to have met you and floated around the Caribean, drink in hand, "Olive" style. LOL

Hope you have a absolutely fabulous trip and once you're back, a quick post would be awesome.

Cheers

Hello!

We just finished a 2 week cruise on Star Clipper. Wow! Where to begin?

The ship was immaculate, food spectacular and not a drop of rain!

cabin 345 with the platform bed 4 feet above floor level. Great fun as always.

Fun mix of passangers, 125 the first week and 100 the second week. Just perfect.

Did al lot of snorkenilg and floating too. Barracudas and sting rays for all. No danger but very cool.

If you have questions, shoot away!

A bientot

Hello!

We just finished a 2 week cruise on Star Clipper. Wow! Where to begin?

The ship was immaculate, food spectacular and not a drop of rain!

cabin 345 with the platform bed 4 feet above floor level. Great fun as always.

Fun mix of passangers, 125 the first week and 100 the second week. Just perfect.

Did al lot of snorkenilg and floating too. Barracudas and sting rays for all. No danger but very cool.

If you have questions, shoot away!

A bientot

Questions? Hundreds! But don't want to spoil the anticipation by knowing everything. LOL

Glad to hear you had a great time. So just a couple of ?? Did you take your own floating device or ?

Did you book any shore ex? We are thinking of just enjoying where ever we end up on each island. We have never been to this part of the Carib so it's all new to us and it will be WARM! Minus here today Brrrrrr

Welcome home and a very Merry Christmas to you

PUCEOLIVE!!!!!! Miss You!!! Check the airplane website...I sent you an email (may be an International setting that I need to fix in order to communicate with you). Glad to hear that you warmed up Cabin 345....that's ours too!! That was Deb's and Piano Man's cabin. Looks like that impromptu cabin tour paid off. It was between 345 and the stripper pole cabin (now we'll get them talking:rolleyes:) For those who wonder....after a few drinks at the bar I suggested a Cabin Crawl where we went around and toured each others cabin. It was a great way to see what else is available and to hear about engine noise, generator noise, configuration etc. One cabin had an extra feature...not really, but after a few drinks it was our general consensus. Hubby asks how the development of your Giant French Snail is coming...now we'll get them talking;). Happy to hear that you had a lovely sail. Were there other fun people aboard? Here's hoping:p ***This is something that NEVER happened to us on any big ship cruise we ever took...meeting fun people, enjoying their company and keeping in touch. It's the magic of Star Clippers!!

Archived