Dyea Dave tour Skagway

gypsyyve

We are booked for Dave's tour in Skagway from our Princess cruise leaving Vancouver on Aug 15th. Originally we had planned on taking the bus up with Dave and then depending on the weather having the option of taking the train down. When I confirmed with dave he stated it was no longer easy to get tickets for the train on the day so we are still undecided what to do. Has any-one done this -or similar recently and could you get a ticket down on the day? Thanks

Hi gypsy - the issue is that the railroad only put on enough cars for the bookings they have - e.g. if it's a slow day, they may only take 1 or 2 carriages but can take up to about 8 - 10.

You can buy tickets on the day (people on our DD tour in July did this) but you take the chance they will be available. If the train is REALLY important to you, I'd recommend booking in advance to ensure a seat. If it's not, make the decision on the day. We went both way with DD and they took us to different spots and a lookout over Skagway on the way back that you wouldn't get with the train. Also, our time in Carcross was cut short as other passengers were panicking about getting back to meet the train so it was a bit of a pain for those of us that weren't taking it. It would probably be better to take the train on the way up & have DD pick you up at the top to continue on.

I was told the same thing so I took my time reserving. They ended up being sold out and we had to rearrange our schedule/tour to take a later train ride. It's not the best schedule, but it worked out.

Therefore, reserve your tickets if you want to go. Or at least check to see how full the train is!

Archived