Hanoi & Saigon Ports

ottawa24

If someone could give me a clear picture as to exactly what to expect when we get off the ship at these ports we would really appreciate it. If we hire private guides will they be right at the ship with our name? Will there be taxis waiting ? Is there a long walk to pick up a taxi or meet a tour guide? Should we see if our cruise company provides free/payed transportation to the city or just to the end of the pier? What happens in Hanoi where we tender? I'm a little embarrassed asking these questions, but I just don't have a clear pic.

Thanks for any help.

lesley:)

If someone could give me a clear picture as to exactly what to expect when we get off the ship at these ports we would really appreciate it. If we hire private guides will they be right at the ship with our name? Will there be taxis waiting ? Is there a long walk to pick up a taxi or meet a tour guide? Should we see if our cruise company provides free/payed transportation to the city or just to the end of the pier? What happens in Hanoi where we tender? I'm a little embarrassed asking these questions, but I just don't have a clear pic.

Thanks for any help.

lesley:)

Which ship? Makes a big difference. Nautica can get up the river into the city of Saigon. Larger ships can't. Any private guide worth his salt will be there with the name of your group. Try for Zoom in Saigon. Hanoi is 3-4 hours away from the port. Be aware.

Which ship? Makes a big difference. Nautica can get up the river into the city of Saigon. Larger ships can't. Any private guide worth his salt will be there with the name of your group. Try for Zoom in Saigon. Hanoi is 3-4 hours away from the port. Be aware.

Unfortunately we are on Celebritys Millenium. It's BIG:(. So are you saying our tour guide will be wherever our ship docks? As far as Hanoi what should we expect now that you know we are on a big ship.

I think Zoom has already been booked for our cruise, but I definitely will see what he can come up with.

Thanks for the help, I just seem to be having trouble getting my head around where we will be docked and how to find our tour guide:o

lesley

Unfortunately we are on Celebritys Millenium. It's BIG:(. So are you saying our tour guide will be wherever our ship docks? As far as Hanoi what should we expect now that you know we are on a big ship.

I think Zoom has already been booked for our cruise, but I definitely will see what he can come up with.

Thanks for the help, I just seem to be having trouble getting my head around where we will be docked and how to find our tour guide:o

lesley

i'm saying your tour guide should meet your ship in Saigon. I believe , but not sure, that you dock at Phu My which on my map is 6 miles from downtown Saigon- not a huge problem if I have the right spot. hanoi is different. Ha Long bay is a long dusty ride from Hanoi. Many choose to skip Hanoi or choose to overnight there if Hanoi is that important. Bangkok is also a long way from the port. There is another thread about Hanoi nearby. I think Queenk2 meant to say Saigon is a better choice.

I am new to cruise critic. Can anyone tell me where Silver Shadow (Silver Seas) docks in Ho Chi Minh? Thanks in advance

Downtown Saigon (only government types call it Ho Chi Minh). There is a really good picture on the internet someplace showing one of the Silver Sea ships docked right below the Riverside hotel. VERY convenient.

i'm saying your tour guide should meet your ship in Saigon. I believe , but not sure, that you dock at Phu My which on my map is 6 miles from downtown Saigon- not a huge problem if I have the right spot. hanoi is different. Ha Long bay is a long dusty ride from Hanoi. Many choose to skip Hanoi or choose to overnight there if Hanoi is that important. Bangkok is also a long way from the port. There is another thread about Hanoi nearby. I think Queenk2 meant to say Saigon is a better choice.

Phu My is about an hour or 1.5 hour drive into Saigon. Traffic, even with the new road, is congested like you have most likely never seen before. If you hit 20 MPH, you are probably running over cars and people.

Archived