Deck Chairs

ron46936

I just read an article on Budget Travel regarding a policy that Carnival is trying out on one of their ships. They are having deck personnel tag unused but "saved" deck chairs tagged with the current time. Then if the person doesn't come back in 40 minutes they remove the items from the chair and leave a note as to where they can be retrieved.

This seems like a great idea for insuring that everyone has a reasonable opportunity to use the chairs.

I hope NCL comes up with a similar system.

I just read an article on Budget Travel regarding a policy that Carnival is trying out on one of their ships. They are having deck personnel tag unused but "saved" deck chairs tagged with the current time. Then if the person doesn't come back in 40 minutes they remove the items from the chair and leave a note as to where they can be retrieved.

This seems like a great idea for insuring that everyone has a reasonable opportunity to use the chairs.

I hope NCL comes up with a similar system.

NCL has been doing this since early June. Do a search for Blue dots and a bunch of threads will come up. Although some have reported they used yellow dots for their cruise.

Actually NCL is the one who started this. In the last 10 days or so, John Heald from CCL posted it on his Facebook page and then in his blog. The media outlets like USA Today etc. have made it sound like CCL did this first. Not the case. Even a story last week said that NCL is now "following in the footsteps of Carnival..."

For more history, do a search of "blue dot" within this forum.

We just came off of a cruise on the Gem 8/4-8/11. There were no blue dots or dots of any color to be seen. As a matter of fact, on our first sea day my mother and I went on deck around 11 am and overheard the woman next to us tell her friends (who arrived after we did) that she got there at 8am and reserved 8 chairs!!

Bring out the dots!!!

We just came off of a cruise on the Gem 8/4-8/11. There were no blue dots or dots of any color to be seen. As a matter of fact' date=' on our first sea day my mother and I went on deck around 11 am and overheard the woman next to us tell her friends (who arrived after we did) that she got there at 8am and reserved 8 chairs!!

Bring out the dots!!![/quote']

The blue dot test came out about mid July. NCL was using the Star to evaluate to see whether it went fleetwide. So it isn't on all of the ships yet or as far as I know they haven't made the decision even yet whether they will continue it.

The blue dot test came out about mid July. NCL was using the Star to evaluate to see whether it went fleetwide. So it isn't on all of the ships yet or as far as I know they haven't made the decision even yet whether they will continue it.

If they find it solves the problem I don't see a down side to rolling it out fleetwide. The only people who would object are the chair hogs.

If they find it solves the problem I don't see a down side to rolling it out fleetwide. The only people who would object are the chair hogs.

I hope you were just adding to my post. All I was doing was responding to why the the above poster may have not had the program on their Gem cruise.

I hope they have the guts to implement it on all ships. More people would be thrilled than not.

Just got off the star 10 days ago and I can report that I saw no dots of any color, nor any other method of enforcement. Chair hogging was alive and well.

I even heard one chair hog proclaim, upon finally returning to his six empty chairs: "The early bird gets the worm!"

i think it's a great idea ! one morning going for my walk (6a.m.) some people already had towels and book on some chairs right in front of the pool. it really takes a lot of nerve of some people to think that they can be above the rules.sme goes for smoking on the wrong side of the ship.

i think it's a great idea ! one morning going for my walk (6a.m.) some people already had towels and book on some chairs right in front of the pool. it really takes a lot of nerve of some people to think that they can be above the rules.sme goes for smoking on the wrong side of the ship.

When I was about 10 and on land vacation, I'd go out every morning and turn in all the towels to lost and found. Wish I still had the nerve. All those poor lost towels, so desperate to be reclaimed.....:cool:

When I was about 10 and on land vacation, I'd go out every morning and turn in all the towels to lost and found. Wish I still had the nerve. All those poor lost towels, so desperate to be reclaimed.....:cool:

Love it, maybe on my next cruise, I will send my 9 y/o out. He'd love to do it:D

Archived