When to change tips os S&S?

dvdkndy

When I was doing this a million years ago that was absolutely true for the busboys and bartenders, though I never had to give anything to the kitchen. It was standard procedure in restaurants, at least in NYC, and you knew that going in. The principle was that the bus people were doing work that never got rewarded directly by the customers, and the bar people were making the drinks you brought to the table, and would have been tipped directly by the customers if they had been sitting at the bar. It's the same thing on a ship: you are being served by many people you never see, and part of their compensation is tips. The simplest and fairest way to reward all these invisible people is to leave the auto-tip (or whatever it's called) on.

well said

Both of you have made it pretty obvious that you've never worked in the restaurant industry...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Silver

Um, that would be correct.

I've never been an astronaut either but I know poop floats in outer space. (rolleyes-thingy-thingy)

Unless you actually intend to just be cheap and cheat the staff out of their tips, you should remove them the first day that they are posted. .

You say this as if "tips" are something that is due them.

THAT is called salary. One EARNS tips; one is not DUE them.

I think many of the folks here are not against tipping per se but against Carnival forcing them to augment their pitiful salary policy.

You say this as if "tips" are something that is due them.

THAT is called salary. One EARNS tips; one is not DUE them.

I think many of the folks here are not against tipping per se but against Carnival forcing them to augment their pitiful salary policy.

Naww. Most of us understand how the system works and realize that the 'tips' are how the crew gets paid and that it is just an unadvertised cost of the trip and it must be paid. Doing otherwise isn't really an option.

Claiming that the company should pay better, should change the way it is or 'so sad, too bad, glad I ain't working as a crewmember, I'm not gonna pay it' certainly says a lot about some people.

Of course, if we post what it actually says about those people, there are ramifications to us here on CC. That's why we don't actually say what it says about people who don't pay the crew.

Naww. Most of us understand how the system works and realize that the 'tips' are how the crew gets paid and that it is just an unadvertised cost of the trip and it must be paid. Doing otherwise isn't really an option.

Actually, to play devil's advocate for a moment (and I do pre-pay tips and often leave extra), it IS an option, otherwise you wouldn't be able to remove or adjust them. Whether it's morally, ethically or any other "ly" word right to do so is a whole other question :D:p

Claiming that the company should pay better, should change the way it is or 'so sad, too bad, glad I ain't working as a crewmember, I'm not gonna pay it' certainly says a lot about some people.

Of course, if we post what it actually says about those people, there are ramifications to us here on CC. That's why we don't actually say what it says about people who don't pay the crew.

Perhaps there are some who really don't tip. I dunno. If I didn't I certainly wouldn't say so on a public forum.

Auto tips saves me the trouble of having to chase these folks down on the last day. That's a GOOD thing and I've never removed them.

I guess some folks just don't like being told what to do. I fall under that category, especially when something is personal like tipping.

What happens when they opt to raise "tips" to 50%? It doesn't change the argument one bit but I'm sure it will change the popular opinion.

When all is said and done, more is said than done.

Actually, to play devil's advocate for a moment (and I do pre-pay tips and often leave extra), it IS an option, otherwise you wouldn't be able to remove or adjust them. Whether it's morally, ethically or any other "ly" word right to do so is a whole other question :D:p

Well, I meant it isn't an option for for anyone with a brain or a heart. :)

I dont know what it says about me, but threads where people have to quote defenitions of words in their bickering really scratch me where I itch.

Carry on gentlemen (or ladies)

She asked me to look up the definition what would you have done oh wise one?

Anyone who thinks that doing away with tips and paying a good salary is a good thing has never travelled in the former East Bloc where tipping was illegal. Service was universally awful. Always. And slow. And rude.

Service today in countries where tipping is 10% or less is usually bad as well. Service in Australia is very poor, as it is equally poor in Britain and Germany.

Why might this be, if tipping is such a bad thing and the servers hate it?

Is there a servers lobby that is demanding tips be stopped and salaries be increased?

Or is it only the skinflint customers who are demanding this, in the name of the poor, hard-working servers?

You tell me....

I am a firm believer of tipping those who help you directly. I would rather give my server and my room steward cash for everyday things like cleaning the room and serving dinner. I do not feel obligated to tip others that I never see and would rather tip my face to face people more than what they get through my auto tips. I know some of you may do it differently and I respect that. However, this is my choice and I ask you to respect it as well. Having said that, when is the best time to get the auto tips removed from your account? Embarkation day or wait until the last night?

Whenever you feel like it, it's a personal choice.

I just keep shaking my head reading some of these posts. I really, really wish that the people who remove tips or stiff the service workers would spend 1 day doing what these people do!

I am by no means wealthy, but I am compassionate and having kids who have worked as servers/bartenders, etc., I've heard some good stories! I could write a book. It amazes me that some of the cheapest people are people with lots of money.

I know that waiters/waitresses/bartenders are on their feet for a long time and it is a demanding job - especially when having to deal with some rude, obnoxious people! The minimum we tip is 20% - have tipped up to 100% even (have even tipped my own kids over 100% when going to where they work - to me, it's a small price to pay to have my kids wait on me! :)) Very rarely do we get less than good service anywhere (but then I always treat servers with respect and don't look down on them like some people do) - and if we go to a place more than once, we get nothing but excellent service! I was chuckling to myself recently when I went to get a mani/pedi that the woman I had the 2 times before almost knocked 2 other workers over to make sure she got me as a customer!

On our cruises, we would never think to remove tips. And we tip others above and beyond very nicely. My young adult kids (and friends who came with them) have paid for their own last 2 cruises themselves - and though money was budgeted tightly for them, they included the tips as part of their budget (the guideline ones AND extras). I won't repeat what they said about the people I told them about who remove trips; not to mention the ones who brag about doing so! :cool:

I think the mistake some of the lines are making is calling this an "auto-gratuity". Think of it, instead, as a daily service charge. You can and should still tip your waiter and steward on top of this. The service charge allows the cruise line to offer a lower fare, which actually saves you on taxes, and then bill you for the services separately.

You're not going to run into the people preparing your food, washing your sheets and towels, and will have limited contact with the people bussing your table or setting up the buffet. If you truly want to remove the charge, then you are taking money away from many of the people providing services to you, just not visibly. Rumor has it (I can't truly say this is confirmed because I can't provide links to it) that the cruise line tracks who removes the charge, and if you do remove it, anyone you tip directly has to give that money over to the pool, invalidating what you did. Rumor also has it that the ship will publish a list of anyone who removes the charge for all staff to see. Not sure I'd want service from anyone who knew I'd stiffed them.

So, probably the last day would be the best time if you really want to remove the charge. Have fun waiting in line.

I posted my last comment before reading the whole thread, but that means this one can be shorter!

I can't imagine a worse end to my vacation than having to wander through a ship finding waiters, headwaiters, dishwashers, cooks, laundry people, cabin stewards I may or may not have seen since embarkation, etc. All those people are the ones the AUTOMATIC SERVICE CHARGE pays. BOO to Carnival for calling it a gratuity, which implies a reward for good service for the people you actually see, rather than what it actually is, which is CCL cuts the base price so they can offer a lower fare, they save you on taxes, and you pay some of the behind the scenes and public service crews' wages through the service charge instead. NCL calls this a DSC, daily service charge, although some on the NCL boards think D stands for discretionary.

I posted my last comment before reading the whole thread, but that means this one can be shorter!

I can't imagine a worse end to my vacation than having to wander through a ship finding waiters, headwaiters, dishwashers, cooks, laundry people, cabin stewards I may or may not have seen since embarkation, etc. All those people are the ones the AUTOMATIC SERVICE CHARGE pays. BOO to Carnival for calling it a gratuity, which implies a reward for good service for the people you actually see, rather than what it actually is, which is CCL cuts the base price so they can offer a lower fare, they save you on taxes, and you pay some of the behind the scenes and public service crews' wages through the service charge instead. NCL calls this a DSC, daily service charge, although some on the NCL boards think D stands for discretionary.

Trust me, if you'd never seen them a single time, you'll see them on the last day. They come out of the woodwork.

Trust me, if you'd never seen them a single time, you'll see them on the last day. They come out of the woodwork.

Think of it this way: if there was no tipping, you'd probably never see any of the servers ever. Why would they bother? The excellent service we all enjoy on cruise ships is made possible solely by tipping. When slavery ended, tipping began, and it has worked well.

I would rather have $12 a day per person added to my account than have to run the gauntlet giving the dishwasher rep $8 (2 people, 4 days), the busboy rep $8, the laundry rep $8, etc. They're doing their work behind the scenes, so there's no real appreciation on either side from me personally handing them the money, unless I'm the type who needs to see the "gratitude". Besides, it's not like there's 1 person doing the laundry for your cabin, nor is there 1 person cooking your food. It would just be a face to an entire group of people, each of whom are getting a fraction of that $1 a day. Not really sure how these people could legitimately or realistically "come out of the woodwork."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=come+out+of+the+woodwork

Sorry, I assumed "Dallas, TX". My bad.

You assumed correctly, and I understand the idiom perfectly well. The parentheses were to indicate that I was directly quoting you. Sorry, don't have the time or interest to do a nifty little animation to make a point.

So based on your statement, on the last day of a cruise, but for the "autotips", I should expect to face an onslaught of dishwashers and laundry people asking for tips? Will I be dealing with the dishwasher rep and the laundry rep, etc, to whom I "personally" hand $1/day, or will I be dealing with all the individual dishwashers and laundry people, and what's the appropriate tip to give to each of them?

The simple fact is, the cruise lines have lowered (or not increased) the direct wages they pay. They offer lower fares as a result. This "auto gratuity" is not a tip, but rather a service charge to make up for that. It has the benefit to the customer of lowering the overall government taxes you pay on your fare. I think in the real world, if I remove my daily service charges, the behind the scenes crew are not going to be there with their hands out, they're simply getting stiffed because I'm cheap.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=come+out+of+the+woodwork

Sorry, I assumed "Dallas, TX". My bad.

And I was specifically referring to the sheer number of people I'd have to deal with and figure out exactly which ones had done me a service so I could tip them but ensure that I wasn't tipping someone who did absolutely nothing to benefit me.

Who cares what the heck it is called by Carnival or any other line? People sure are having a good time playing word lawyer. No matter the name, it is still something the passenger pays. Shame on the cheapos who don't.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived