What happens at check-in?

Hi everyone,

I'm going on my first cruise on Carnival spirit in November. Just wondering what happens when I get to sydney and get down to the ship. What happens? How long will we wait to board the ship, etc? Do you get told what time you can arrive? I've got no idea sorry, so any info would be great.

thanks

Spritz81

It is a practically painless exercise although when you first arrive at the terminal you will probably be overwhelmed by the milling crowd. It may look chaotic to you but it is very well organised with signs directing you to your queue and plenty of helpers to give you advice. The first queue leads to the checkin process where you are given your keycard/onboard credit card etc. Sometimes you are given a time to arrive at the terminal.

Remember, all of the passengers arriving back on the ship that morning have to disembark first so it is usually about 1030 to 1100 before the embarking of new passengers commences. Seats are provided in the terminal for waiting and sometimes boarding numbers are given to you and you go through customs and immigration. Once your number is called it is a quick process and in no time you are walking onto the ship.

You should be onboard in time to drop your hand luggage off in your cabin and go up to the buffet for lunch. Your luggage may not arrive in your cabin before you do but it should be there by the time you come back from lunch. I would say you will be too busy exploring the ship to want to unpack immediately especially if this is your first cruise.

What ever you do, do not stress out about what you first see as you walk into the terminal. It is "organised" chaos to the first timers eyes.

John

Johndon described boarding at Wharf 5. Your "organised chaos" will be at OPT (Ocean Passenger Terminal) at Circular Quay as Carnival Spirit is too large to go under the Harbour Bridge.

As Carnival Spirit has yet to arrive and be tested for it's arrival and departure scenarios...................generally at OPT you arrive, you drop your bags (make sure you drop you bags at the designated area before you jump on the queue to go inside), then you queue outside (no seating there I'm afraid - you are open to the elements) and wait to go inside. They usually open up the doors about 11 am ish (give or take - you can drop you bags from about 8 am). Once inside, you go up the escalators and commence the security, Customs, scanning procedures. You will then go through to queue again for your seapass cards, a photo just before you board (optional) then on you go........all very excited to explore the ship.

There's a possibility you will be given a boarding time, but if your flying in, just head straight there anyway but as noted, the ship hasn't arrived in Australia yet so it's anyone's guess :p.

I'm booked to do New Years Eve. I've been on her before, so I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Green Thunder is a must do and fabby fun, even if it looks scarey :D

Archived