Where to hang things to dry?

We are in a balcony room and never cruised before.

I have picked up the tip on getting a 3m hook for hanging swim suits inside the shower.

What about a laundry line in case i have to wash anything that doesn't go in the dryer?

Can you put towels to dry on the balcony via a laundry line?

Thanks,

We are in a balcony room and never cruised before.

I have picked up the tip on getting a 3m hook for hanging swim suits inside the shower.

What about a laundry line in case i have to wash anything that doesn't go in the dryer?

Can you put towels to dry on the balcony via a laundry line?

Thanks,

As for the towels, if you are talking about the white ones you would use after showering, just hang them back up in the bathroom for use again, or if they are soaking, and/or soiled, leave them on the floor and your steward will replace them. If it is the blue 'beach' towels, you can exchange wet/soiled ones at the towel huts on the lido deck for fresh ones anytime during the day...you can also leave them in your cabin for your steward to exchange for you.

I actually have a travelling clothesline that I use for cruises that have one of the 'climbers hooks' on each end, and I can then adjust it according to the balcony size. I take clothes pegs with me, however I "thread" the line through the clothes, i.e. through the arm holes of t-shirts to ensure they don't blow away, and then use the clothes pegs to secure it in place (otherwise they tend to all slide to the centre).

For the two or three things that need to be dried, this clothesline system works great.

Do be warned however that if you just hang a towel over the chair on the balcony, it probably will not be there when you go back for it...winds can get pretty brisk on the open seas ! :D

I've been on a few of the Carnival ships and everyone of them had a laundry line in the shower to use to dry bathing suits.. Also, (other then NCL) every Carnival ship also had washers and dryers for you to use for $3.00 each with a iron & ironing board. You can also have the cruise line wash/dry for you if your not up to doing it.

You can also call the cruise line to confirm the ship your going on has the cloths line.. : )

I'm sure its like the hair dryer & frig, Most have them but some don't

I actually have a travelling clothesline that I use for cruises that have one of the 'climbers hooks' on each end, and I can then adjust it according to the balcony size. I take clothes pegs with me, however I "thread" the line through the clothes, i.e. through the arm holes of t-shirts to ensure they don't blow away, and then use the clothes pegs to secure it in place (otherwise they tend to all slide to the centre).

For the two or three things that need to be dried, this clothesline system works great.

Do be warned however that if you just hang a towel over the chair on the balcony, it probably will not be there when you go back for it...winds can get pretty brisk on the open seas ! :D

I know it sounds like a good idea, but they mention at muster drill that no towels or clothing be left to dry on a balcony. They think that is how the fire on the Star Princess started several years ago. Possibly a cigarette butt which hit clothing or a towel drying on a balcony. :eek:

They also have the issue that if anything were to blow overboard, even just a towel, the ship has to file all sorts of environmental reports and can be fined.

K&P: Like another poster said, you are literally playing with fire if you put this clothes line on your balcony. Just because your clothing is secured by clothes pins and putting the line through the armholes, all it takes is a cigarette butt landing on an article of clothing and it can start a fire. We always book balconies and have found cigarette butts on our balconies frequently. People ignore the rules about throwing things overboard all the time. They think they are immune from the rules or that the cruise lines are just exaggerating when they ask people not to do these things. I've even found banana peels and other small items of food on our balcony! Please hang your stuff in the shower or in your stateroom. A suggestion - we take thin, cheap, plastic hangers and put them in the zippered front section of our suitcases. When I do laundry, I hang the clothing that needs to air dry on these hangers and put them in the "railing" that covers the bar lighting in the cabin. There is a decorative pattern in this railing that allows the hanger to fit right into those holes. It works like a charm.

sounds like the hangers are a good idea.

We have laws in our city that your laundry line cannot be above the fence line. With the balcony rail being see through I would imagine laundry on everyone's balcony would look rather tacky.

I could still bring my laundry line and hang it in the room some how. In hotel rooms we have even hung it between chairs. I am sure if I am desperate I could manage to find somewhere in the room to use it.

That is of course if the one in the bathroom is too small.

If I take hangers then I suppose I could hang those off the bathroom line, which would make for more room.

Thanks all.

And leave your bathroom door open all the time or stuff will never dry

Nothing worse than putting on a wet bathing suit :eek:.

For those of you who have commented on the clothesline...point taken. However I have taken it with me on all 7 cruises so far, and used it once. Most times things are hung up INSIDE the room using the line (should have mentioned this too in my earlier post :o).

There is the line in the shower, and when you walk out of the bathroom to your left, there is a rather large hook on the wall, and around the corner from that there is another large hook.

Stu is right, make sure that bathroom door is open or nothing will dry. I use the laundry on the ships at least once a week. The dryers dont dry that well, so bring 6.00 bucks to dry.:o

We took some clothes pins and clipped towels and swim suits to the chairs on the balcony and they dried pretty quickly.

Don't start with the whole fire hazard thing or I'll start with the smokers vs. non-smokers thing as to why something might catch fire! LOL! ;)

Oh wait, we kept constant eye on the towels as they dried so there was no concern for fire. We would NEVER leave towels unattended on the balcony. :rolleyes:

There is the line in the shower, and when you walk out of the bathroom to your left, there is a rather large hook on the wall, and around the corner from that there is another large hook.

Stu is right, make sure that bathroom door is open or nothing will dry. I use the laundry on the ships at least once a week. The dryers dont dry that well, so bring 6.00 bucks to dry.:o

Actually the next day will usally hang them on a door knob inside the cabin.

We took some clothes pins and clipped towels and swim suits to the chairs on the balcony and they dried pretty quickly.

Don't start with the whole fire hazard thing or I'll start with the smokers vs. non-smokers thing as to why something might catch fire! LOL! ;)

Oh wait, we kept constant eye on the towels as they dried so there was no concern for fire. We would NEVER leave towels unattended on the balcony. :rolleyes:

What about Boca clips? They clamp tight around things>

I bring a couple of pant hangers with me in my suitcase and we rinse our bathing suits and then we hang them on a hanger. We open the curtains and then put the hanger on the metal trim that is around the curtains. It has holes in it and we just put our hanger through the hole and it is dry in no time.

At 6 AM, I bring all my wet towels and clothes up by the pool and lay 'em over 15 or 16 chairs til 11 am and then they are dry. :D

I spit out my coffee on my monitor again! Cut it out. <g>:)

Kevin C

Archived