Lifejackets when snorkeling?

HAPPY12

We are going on a day sail excursion in St.Thomas. Do you know if around St. Thomas area that is a requirement for all to wear life jackets while snorkeling? We were in Cancun and Cozumel last year and is was required to wear them. My brother in law is experienced diver and it made him upset that he had to wear a life jacket. Thanks for any help.

Happy 12

If the folks with whom you booked the day sail have a web site, go to the web site and see if any of the people in the photos who are in the water are wearing life jackets. Or, just contact the day sail folks by email.

The beaches don't require that you wear them, but I don't know about the private tours.

We are going on a day sail excursion in St.Thomas. Do you know if around St. Thomas area that is a requirement for all to wear life jackets while snorkeling? We were in Cancun and Cozumel last year and is was required to wear them. My brother in law is experienced diver and it made him upset that he had to wear a life jacket. Thanks for any help.

Happy 12

Do you know who required the life jackets? Was it a law in those areas of Mexico, or just required by the excursion they were on?

thanks.

We had done a land vacation and went on snorkel trips everyday while we were in Cancun and Cozumel. Every company during 6 days made us wear a life jacket. They had told us it was required. I am not sure if it is a law but they sure didn't allow my brother in law to go without. He is originally from Mazatlan, Mexico and grow up scuba diving and free dives. He told them this but they said they would get in trouble if they allowed him not to use one.

Hello Happy,

You are given the option of wearing a life jacket, taking a float, kick board or noodle type thingy or nothing when going out snorkeling, or so has been my experience in the VI. It was always recommended by the captain/crew that you take some floatation device if you plan to stay out snorkeling for a long time or weren't a strong swimmer.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Archived