What currency is used in Tahiti

rickdeni

The French Pacific Franc (CFP, also known as XPF) is the currency in use. It is pegged to the euro. So as the Euro has devalued against the US dollar, the exchange rate has become more favorable for US cititzens traveling to Tahiti.

We were there several weeks ago and 100 CFP or XPF equated to about $1.01; today it is up a little to $1.03. This is quite a bit different than the typical exchange rate you will find around the islands. For example, most retailers were exchanging at 100 xpf to $1.17 or higher. And hotels and the PG also exchange at these kind of (or slightly less) rates. We went on a few excursions and they wanted almost $1.25 per 100 xpf (you pay say, 125 dollars for an excursion or 1000 xpf). You can do much better at getting this lower exchange rate and then when you need to buy something or for a private excursion for example, pay with xpf directly. Just on one excursion, we saved nearly $50 by using local currency vs the required exchange rate the excursion operator was "imposing".

So where do you get the xpf/CFP? The best exchange rate for any type of money exchange is typically the ATM. Even a bank often charges a higher rate. So go to the ATM. The best ATM is located RIGHT OUTSIDE the area you leave the Papeete airport after you collect your luggage and go through customs. Just to the left maybe 20 feet in the middle of the wall is an ATM.

Remember that you can only take out, typically, $500 from the ATM (this is based on the policies of your own bank). So for us, that would have been 48,000 XPF; you can't take out that odd amount, so we had to take out 40,000. I found a second ATM right across where the ship docs in Raiatea (if you are doing the 7 day society island cruise) and you can raid that one also if necessary.

None of these charged a surcharge locally; however, some US banks will tack on a fee, often 1% to use a foreign ATM. Your bank may be different.

We paid for everything in local currency and saved quite a bit over other exchange mechanisms. Remember that the ATM has fewer "middle men" to take a cut. The exchange booths are usually the worst of all, although so is the hotel front desk. Use the ATM; you will be pleased. If you take out too much, then you can always trade it in back on the ship (although you will be subject to another "hit").

Hope that helps.

We actually have a currency exchange at a local shopping mall (Westshore Plaza in Tampa); when we inquired about French Polynesian francs, they said they could order them (they're not one of the more common currencies they regularly have on hand). We placed our order on a Saturday (July 21) and had them by Tuesday; there was no shipping charge since we picked them up at the mall. We said we wanted about $200 worth of francs; I think we paid just over $200 (including the exchange fee) for 18,000 francs.

We didn't actually end up using much local currency since we booked most of our excursions through the ship (and paid by credit card in U.S. $ at the end of the trip). We primarily used the francs for tipping our tour guides/drivers and picking up some small souvenirs.

Many of the small vendors that set up tented tables on Motu Mahana, at the port in Moorea, or in the Bora Bora craft market accepted U.S. dollars. Most did a conversion of 1000 francs = $10 to simplify the pricing, so it was actually better using dollars than francs (more favorable rates). However, shops with actual storefronts are more likely to follow the published bank exchange rates and/or accept credit cards for transactions.

I'd plan to arrive with $200 or so in francs; you can always convert more on the ship. (We didn't actually need to do this, but I've heard others say the ship's rates are pretty good.)

I have found the best exchange is using an ATM in Tahiti. I get them right at the airport. However if you want them before you arrive as Tikiintahiti said, Wells Fargo is the best way here in the USA. I have used them and they are very reasonable. DO NOT use the exchange at LAX!!!

I travel to FP every year (I promised my wife when she said yes to marrying me) and I've exchanged in every possible way.

Local FP ATM and Wells Fargo usually have very similar exchange rates. The problem that many tourist have is the ATM at the Faaa Tahiti airport does not always work plus when it is there can be a long line for those wanting to use it, all while the transport bus is loading up to herd everyone to the IC Tahiti. Wells Fargo makes this task easy so I highly recommend doing it. The rate today is 91/1 and you can use your CC to buy on-line so you get miles : )

THe worst thing you can do is exchange at LAX, terrible exchange rate, don't do it!

Archived