Going in January - swimming?

jimbug

We are cruising to Nassau at the end of January (Jan 26, to be exact). The last time I was in the Bahamas was in March. Half Moon Cay was a perfect temp, nice and warm, but Freeport was freezing and way too cold to swim!

What can I expect in Nassau in late January? Do people still swim in the oceans and pools, etc., then? Or is it like Florida where all the outdoor activities basically shut down because 75°F is too "cold" for southerners? :D

We are cruising to Nassau at the end of January (Jan 26, to be exact). The last time I was in the Bahamas was in March. Half Moon Cay was a perfect temp, nice and warm, but Freeport was freezing and way too cold to swim!

What can I expect in Nassau in late January? Do people still swim in the oceans and pools, etc., then? Or is it like Florida where all the outdoor activities basically shut down because 75°F is too "cold" for southerners? :D

The temps are like Florida.. can be too chilly for anything more than a quick dip. You'll find some people in the water, and a few hotels have a heated pool, but it's not the norm.

You can still enjoy a beach day.. just not too much time in the water.

Does anyone know what to expect from the temps in the second week of October? Will swimming be comfortable?

October is usually very comfortable for swimming.. warm days and cool nites. It's also the second rainiest month.. and the middle of hurricane season..

The temps are like Florida.. can be too chilly for anything more than a quick dip. You'll find some people in the water, and a few hotels have a heated pool, but it's not the norm.

You can still enjoy a beach day.. just not too much time in the water.

Thank you, Scubagirrl! I think I'll save our beach time for the more southern ports.

October is usually very comfortable for swimming.. warm days and cool nites. It's also the second rainiest month.. and the middle of hurricane season..

Oh...yay. Should we be concerned? How far ahead can they predict hurricanes? And what does Carnival do if one is coming?

Oh...yay. Should we be concerned? How far ahead can they predict hurricanes? And what does Carnival do if one is coming?

We have been pretty lucky these past few seasons. but you can track hurricanes on the National hurricane websites at least a week in advance. Carnival would change it's itinerary if they were in the path.

Archived