Duck Tour in Key West?

sblahars

I went to the opening day of the trial, and it was pretty interesting to hear the opening statements. They aren't looking to restart the business. The owner, John Murphy, was ready to fight, even though he was breathing off an oxygen tank. He is suing the city and HTA (Historic Tours of America=train and trolley) for $14 million. The details are getting more and more interesting. Check out the keysnews.com site for weekday updates.

Big Headline here on the island: Duck Tours Wins Lawsuit Against Key West and Historic Tours of America. A jury awarded the Duck Tours a $13.5 million judgement. Owner, John Murphy, plans to resume operations. City officials are stunned.

Check out keysnews.com for the details.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't think that they will be operating by then either; but you never know. The city has appealed the court's decision and is amassing thousands of dollars of interest daily.

We are headed down in a couple of weeks to check on the house (although it was not damaged according to the neighbors) and for a little R&R.

Mike

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know if there is any update on this situation? We are heading down in Mid-December and would love to take this tour, but other than they are appealing the law suit, I can't find any more info on the status on the tours beginning to operate or not.

TIA :)

There is no news on the Duck situation in Key West. The appeal is because the City of Key West shut down the Duck Tour under circumstances deemed by the court to be illegal. As a result, Key West was ordered to pay the owner of the Duck Tours a large fine. Even if Key West does win its appeal, the Duck Tour wouldn't resume operations. In fact, it would be even less likely to resume operations because that would mean Key West acted properly when they stopped the Duck Tours.

The only hope I see is for someone else to attempt to operate a Duck Tour in the city, As of this time, no one has stepped forward to do so. Wish they would, though.

Key West needs a Duck Tour and a pirate ship excursion, too. Are you listening, Jim Croce? I miss the PT Boat, also and the Harbour History Tour. Ah, for the good old days.

Thanks for the update, HeavySurf.

ITA that a Duck Tour would be a perfect addition to Key West Tourist Attractions. They are just so much fun, and a perfect match for a crazy place like Key West, who the heck would be against having them operate. We have them in Boston and they sell out 20 tours a day by 10AM daily.

UGH, Politicians!!!:rolleyes:

Stupid question probably, but what exactly entails a duck tour? Is it different that the trains and trolleys running now? Is it water based with say a shallow drafted boat that can pull right up to a beach? I did see one pirate ship complete with cannons there last week. Who runs that? They fired the cannons when they sailed by the crowds at Mallory square at sunset. Probably scared more than a few of the folks and gave the birds fits. LOL!

Archived