World Cruise sector dress code query

acmar

Fred Olsen states-

Formal nights – For ladies, this is the opportunity to wear a cocktail or evening dress. For gentlemen, dinner jacket or tuxedos. Alternatively, a dark suit and tie is acceptable.

Informal nights – (excluding Caribbean fly/cruise programme) Men will be comfortable in a lounge suit or jacket and/or tie. For ladies, anything ranging from tailored trousers to a dress, will be appropriate.

Smart casual – Stylish leisure wear is ideal. Open neck shirts with collars please, for the men; whilst casual separates or a summer dress will be fine for the ladies.

Apart from theme nights, what is the typical number of nights for each of the dress dress codes on a four week world sector starting from Southampton and finishing in Mexico via the Caribbean?

Thanks

We always work on two formal nights per week and mainly smart/casual (tie or jacket for men) on most other nights. There is a scattering of theme nights too. If you look on the Fred. Olsen website it will indicate the approximate number of each dress code. This repeated when you are sent the documentation for the cruise.

On my many cruises on Fred. Olsen ships I have found that the theme nights vary in passenger participation. Tropical seems to be the most popular for it needs the fewest outfits.

Thank you for the answers above which demonstrate the confusion that I have.

My interpretation of the dress code that FO publishes is that which 'ovccruises' has given ie no requirement for a jacket at dinner as the cruise is destined for the Caribbean.

However I repeatedly find references on the internet from other passengers who say the same as 'Parsman' ie "smart/casual (tie or jacket for men) on most other nights"

Will there be "informal nights" on this world sector, do I or don't I need a jacket for dinner, or will just shirt and tie be OK?

I can't wait until November until I receive the documents because I'm going abroad shortly and will not return to the UK until just before the cruise. I need to get prepared now. I don't have a problem with either formal or smart casual, it's just the informal nights if there are any.

acmar:confused::confused:

The casual nights are first and last nights on board and when the ship remains in port overnight. Dress for men is open necked ****rs and long trousers. Most nights are informal with men wearing a l/s shirt with tie or jacket with or without tie. Women tend to dress quite smartly most evenings. The vast majority of passengers follow the dress code on formal evenings but less so on other evenings. On the "Balmoral" South America cruise earlier this year many men dressed casually most evenings.

With respect, I wouldn't get too worried about it. Other than Formal Nights, which I assume to be self explanatory, the main dining room usually specifies either informal or smart casual. I usually wear a long sleeve shirt. A tie is sometimes specified, but I can't remember which of the two that applies to. I always have a smart jacket with me, and have used this on occasion, but I prefer not to.

Once you're settled on board, it will become apparent.

We were on the Peru-Southampton leg in April and I slipped up once by not wearing a tie when it was expected. I was offered the loan of a tie by the staff, but I just popped back to the cabin for my own.

:)

Sorry for the confusion, there are some nights where a jacket and tie are required and some nights where a jacket only, I still refer to them as casual. To me, formal is a dinner suit, semi formal is a suit and anything else casual, I wear a tie for my job so did not cosider it other than casual, appologies.

The casual nights are first and last nights on board and when the ship remains in port overnight. .

This doesnt appear to be the case on mini cruises. We will be on Balmoral this weekend.. a 3 night cruise... and paperwork and website indicates 1 formal night.

We have asked when the actual formal night will be - and no one seems to know when...

1st night - sailing from Southampton to Antwerp

2nd night - onboard/overnight in Antwerp

3rd night - sailing from ANtwerp back to Southampton.

Hopefully not the evening we are in Antwerp as plan to go into town....

I agree, long cruises follow a different dress pattern than very short ones. Apart from formal nights I woulden 't get too stressed about the dress code. Just get on board the ship and have a great cruise.

I agree. And, don't forget there's always the Garden Cafe (or, whatever it's called) if you want a change from the MDR.

wft

In answer to your recent post we normally work on having 2 formal nights a week, so you should expect about 7 or 8 formal nights on the this cruise. Theme nights should also include Nautical, International, Rock and Roll and Tropical. However if you contact us on the following email address nearer the time of your cruise we will be happy to confirm all details, internet@fredolsencruises.com

Regards

FOCL

In answer to your recent post we normally work on having 2 formal nights a week, so you should expect about 7 or 8 formal nights on the this cruise. Theme nights should also include Nautical, International, Rock and Roll and Tropical. However if you contact us on the following email address nearer the time of your cruise we will be happy to confirm all details, internet@fredolsencruises.com

Regards

FOCL

Thanks - will do, can't you bring the date forward?:)

Archived