Balcony rooms for Alaska

cruzin girl

I guess I'm a sucker for the balcony.

Only had one so far (Carib two years ago) but fell in love with it. Our ship (Coral Princess) is advertised to have some 85% balcony rooms. For the last two days we don't even dock- just cruise around looking at the beauty of it all, so to me, having my private balcony as an option to being up on deck, is a wonderful option. (I understand that the naturalist’s talks are piped to he rooms via the TV sets.)

So if we choose, we can order some hot cocoa from room service, and listen to the narration, while the splendor and beauty of Alaska pass by - now that's what I call living the high life. ;)

My mother and I both agree it was worth it for us, for several reasons. First, the scenery is outstanding at any given time and we were fortunate to see eagles, whitesided dolphins and whales while on our balcony. Because of the excellent photo opportunities, we got into the habit of leaving the camera by the door! Second, we both enjoyed the opportunity to have fresh sea air circulating and to hear the soothing sound of the water on the side of the ship. If we were in the cabin, the sliding door was open. If it was cool, it was only open a bit. We even enjoyed our balcony when it was cool, we just put on our fleese vests. We also asked our cabin steward if he could get us a couple of the plaid blankets they kept on the pool deck for people to use and poof, they appeared....very handy and comfy!

Hope this helps!

We use the balconey more on our AK cruises than any others. The scenary is wonderful and while sailing through the glacier areas, viewing from your own balconey allows you to get away from the conjestion on deck.

We're from the "frozen northland" so I've never had a problem with the temps. Dress as you would if you were viewing from deck. We once bought a beautiful throw at the Natural history museum in Victory on our way "up" and it was so useful, that I now pack an ultra-light polar fleece throw. It packs up pretty small and if you buy something breakable it makes good padding!

:) We had a balcony on the Zaandam 2 years ago (Sept) and it was the best investment of the trip. Seeing the awesome Inside Passage from your own special spot - walking out there - anytime day or night and looking at the incredible view was worth every penny. We have also sailed the Caribbean without one, but then soooo much water and so little land there. Drinking hot chocolate, snuggled up in a blanket, or just standing out there in your jeans and flannel shirt - a huge treat. Great for quick pictures when you spot wildlife too. Also you can get some great shots of the glaciers, ice floats, etc. We leave the end of June on the Diamond - Inside Passage - balcony. Yea !!!!

Would love to get some feedback on weather you used your balcony much cruising Alaska with the weather being cooler. Is it worth the extra cost?

Three words....balcony, balcony, balcony. If you can afford it, go for it!

Of all the cruises in the world this one is made for a balcony.

In Alaska we sat out there bare foot on some days and others in

a parka.

Go for it !!! This is the last frontier and you won't see sights

like this anywhere else.Get out there(on the bal.) and listen to

the glaciers calving and listen to the thunder when the ice hits

the water, there's nothing like it.

Don't forget,"u always get what u pay for"...........:cool:

Someone posted on another thread that if you do have a balcony that is better to be on the Port/Left side if you are going south (vancouver) to north (seward) and if you are going north to south the reverse is true.

They said if you are doing a round trip it doesn't matter.

I am just repeating the post I have no knowledge but can tell you we are going north from Vancouver and if they're correct we're on the wrong side. I will happily live with it though.

Hope this helps

Someone posted on another thread that if you do have a balcony that is better to be on the Port/Left side if you are going south (vancouver) to north (seward) and if you are going north to south the reverse is true.

They said if you are doing a round trip it doesn't matter.

I am just repeating the post I have no knowledge but can tell you we are going north from Vancouver and if they're correct we're on the wrong side. I will happily live with it though.

Hope this helps

I thought it was if you are going Southbound, then get a Port side cabin. Northbound Starbound. Hope I'm right, because we have an Aft port cabin & are going Southbound.

Minette

If you can swing it, go for the balcony on an Inside Passage cruise. Not only do you see some of the most beautiful unspoiled country, but can sit in peace and enjoy it. I loved being able to get up and go out in my pj's anytime I wanted. In the middle of the night I'd go out to see what things looked like and the phosphorescence of the sea was beautiful. It was so absolutely quiet out there that I almost felt like I was flying over the water rather than floating. It was cool but very invigorating! The sunset, sunrise or the moon was something to behold at your convenience-day or night. You won't regret the extra money. We're going to the Western Caribbean this fall and have an oceanview this time because there's alot of open water and felt I'd like to save a few dollars on this one. This is a trial cruise for the oceanview, so we'll see if we got too spoiled on our Alaska cruise or not.:p

I guess I'll be devil's advocate, but I've never felt a $350/pp upgrade from interior cabin to balcony was justified. The reason is, we're never in our room. Granted, if we had a balcony we would spend more time in our room, but still not often enough to justify $700. I'd rather be out doing all the social activities, while the balcony just sits there. If they got the balcony upgrade down low enough, though, I'll bite.

Hope the rooms are dark enough at "night" as people say they are.

We have just organised our first cruise, Vancouver to Alaska return. Thanks for the tips and having read feedback from experienced cruisers we are more excited than ever.

From your experience should we book shore excursions before the cruise and did you have any favourites ?

I guess I'll be devil's advocate, but I've never felt a $350/pp upgrade from interior cabin to balcony was justified. The reason is, we're never in our room. Granted, if we had a balcony we would spend more time in our room, but still not often enough to justify $700. I'd rather be out doing all the social activities, while the balcony just sits there. If they got the balcony upgrade down low enough, though, I'll bite.

Hope the rooms are dark enough at "night" as people say they are.

I concur--we had a balcony on our Alaskan cruise and while it was nice, I would say, in retrospect, that the premium we paid to get it was to high. We spent most of our time at the front of the ship (Dawn Princess) where we were able to get a much "wider" view. I think the public viewing areas offered much better (and I might add free) places to see the glaciers, scenery, etc. than did our balcony. Just another view.

Maybe you would consider an obstructed balcony? They are quite a bit cheaper, and if you're picky about which one you choose you should do fine. Ours was $700 less than a non-obstructed on the same level. I was assured our only obstruction in our cabin will be looking straight down into the water because the lifeboats are right below us. However the view from eye-level, even sitting, is 'supposed' to be wonderful. I hope it's the best of both worlds, less expensive, but still most of the balcony perks. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks!

I've never heard of that. I'd definitely consider it, but it would be nice to get a virtual tour of an obstructed balcony view first. It might be worth it just to get the extra square footage.

All-in-all, I think balconies are more appropriate for people who prefer the kick-back-and-relax vacation. Which is fine, but for people like me who like to work hard and play hard, it's just not going to get that much mileage. And those interior cabins sure do a good job of being pitch-black at 4am--which, in Alaska, it's broad daylight.

Sept. 2003 we sailed out of Vancouver on Zaandam. The greatest trip anyone could ask for - gorgeous scenery. Shore excursions: Juneau - Capt. Larry whale watching (saw orcas, seals, and more whales than we could shoot pics of). 2 came straight up in the water within 15 feet of our boat - just came up and slid back down - incredible. Ketchikan - booked thru ship - Misty Fjords Seaplane Adventure. So beautiful, it was almost a religious experience. Worth every penny. Skagway - booked thru ship - Eagle Preserve Float Adventure - and saw so many eagles, even a huge fresh bear track, but no bear.:( But, the most Postcard perfect photos we took were at Glacier Bay. The "Z" got so close we could hear and see the glaciers calving, thousands of seals on the ice floats, blue, blue ice, and blue, blue skies. Incredible adventure. We are headed back in June out of Seattle. Can hardly wait. Have the time of a life time C.C. Tip - take a disposable panaromic camera for the glaciers.

gg3

Thank you so much. We’re on the Coral in July and have picked almost the exact same excursions you so beautifully describe. Gave me chills up and down my spine to read your post.

Now I really can’t wait! :) :) :)

Can you tell - it's our first to Alaska. :)

Thanks again,

Terry

Archived