Whitepass RR or rental car?????

rebsar

We have rented cars - there are 12 of us - for the drive to Emerald Lake.

Now we are wondering if we should have booked the RR instead.

Does anyone have an opinion????

Help!!

In a group that large, it's a safe bet that some folks would prefer the train, some will like the car better. If you want to stay together, both are fabulous trips, and you won't regret your decision, whichever way you go.

Murray

Hello: Does this mean that you can see Emerald Lake from the train?

I have never been there, and am also wondering about the RR trip.

We have considered the RR one way, and the bus back.

Or, RR both ways.

The info available is good to a point, but leaves out a lot too.

Any help will be appreciated.

>>Does this mean that you can see Emerald Lake from the train? <<

No, the train only goes to the Summit or Fraser, depending on which option you choose - Emerald Lake is another 50 miles north. Some train/bus options go to Emerald Lake, some to Carcross, some just back to Skagway from Fraser.

Murray

Yukon

Have booked the train one way and the bus back with a stop at Carcross for lunch. Will we see Emerald Lake or is Carcross before you reach it? I noticed that we are gone from 8:30-4:30 what are we doing the entire day as the trip is only about 60 miles, correct? Thanks.

cozzello - it depends on which tour you're going on. Each company does different things, but almost all include Emerald Lake, which is past Carcross. It's 150 miles return, and photo stops take up a lot of the time on any tour. If you're on a Princess tour, at least 2 hours is spent at the Caribou Crossing lunch stop - http://www.cariboucrossing.ca

Murray

We were in Skagway in September of 2003 and rented an SUV and drove to Emerald Lake and we loved every minute of it. The fall colors were so beautiful that I stopped and took pictues all the way up and back. We are going on our 4th Alakan cruise June 10th (a birthday present for my brother)

and we plan on doing the same thing in Skagway again, so my brother and sister-in-law get to see the beautiful scenery. I think being able to stop and get out any place you want to, makes it so worthwhile.

In a group that large, it's a safe bet that some folks would prefer the train, some will like the car better. If you want to stay together, both are fabulous trips, and you won't regret your decision, whichever way you go.

Murray

ITA both are great ways to go!

Hey Murray! I used to work for HAL in Skagway and I would travel through your town every other day or so :)

Is that lady ( gosh I cant for the life of me remember her name!) still making that killer Bannock Bread in the parking lot across from the hotel?

Dang, I still have dreams about hot bannock bread dripping with butter and jam.... sigh.

Archived