Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

On the Epic now, and they did a special presentation of the Breakaway. The cabins (all cats) will be bigger than any of the other NCL ships so far. As for the Haven / Vibe area, it will be smaller (yes, smaller) than what the Epic now has.

I have a breakaway / Bermuda question while I am here. Is there a big difference weather wise between a June 15th sailing and the 4th of July week sailing? I just want to make sure it's warm enough for us to swim at the beaches in Bermuda.

Thanks!

That's great! I love that app.

By the way have you noticed that some of the most active CC members on this thread are on the May 19 voyage. That should make a very interesting trip :)

Yeah you know what, I have gotten that vibe from around the forum in general (this, and other threads). And not only will it make the trip itself interesting, but even more so it should make it fun afterwards, as there should be no shortage of people posting reviews, photos and comments about that particular sailing. :cool:

I have a breakaway / Bermuda question while I am here. Is there a big difference weather wise between a June 15th sailing and the 4th of July week sailing? I just want to make sure it's warm enough for us to swim at the beaches in Bermuda.

Thanks!

Well I just hope there isn't a big difference between my 5/19 sailing and the June/July sailings, as our main reason for the trip is baking in the sun while at sea, and enjoying warm, sunny beaches in Bermuda, and lots of snorkeling for me :D:D:D (er, that kinda rhymed...how lame of me:o)

Well I just hope there isn't a big difference between my 5/19 sailing and the June/July sailings, as our main reason for the trip is baking in the sun while at sea, and enjoying warm, sunny beaches in Bermuda, and lots of snorkeling for me :D:D:D (er, that kinda rhymed...how lame of me:o)

I don't know about that, sunny maybe, warm that could be debatable. Hopefully it is, but may is not a very warm month for Bermuda.

I've been to Bermuda in the beginning of May and the weather is warm and sunny, definately beach weather. I'm sure June is just as nice as July. My sister honeymooned in Bermuda in mid-October and was able to enjoy the beaches.

I think Bermuda's "warm weather" goes from mid-April to mid-October.

Yuck it snowed? I'm a little downstate and it's COLD but no snow. You poor thing (and sorry to hijack but I went to the BEST gift store in your town Wit's End a few weeks ago. OMG I loved it!!!)

What excursion did you book?

I live about two miles from Wit's end. Love, love the store... $$$. :)

We booked the restless native catamaran cruise. I have a nine year old and I'm not the strongest swimmer so thought this was a great option for us from all I read.

On the Epic now, and they did a special presentation of the Breakaway. The cabins (all cats) will be bigger than any of the other NCL ships so far. As for the Haven / Vibe area, it will be smaller (yes, smaller) than what the Epic now has.

Thanks!

There will be very little difference between June 15 and July 4. the monthly average in Bermuda for June is 81F and 85F in July

1891460900_bermudaAverage.jpg.0ff5993fd399f311902ecb3016516176.jpg

I live about two miles from Wit's end. Love, love the store... $$$. :)

We booked the restless native catamaran cruise. I have a nine year old and I'm not the strongest swimmer so thought this was a great option for us from all I read.

Then we ate at the Rusty Nail - we went to Saratoga for the weekend and found these 2 gems on the way home!

Anyway, we did the Restless Native cat - not through NCL, right? It was good - not as crowded as a ship sponsored excursion, but more people than I thought. Maureen was our guide and Jimmy was the captain. Really nice cat. Took us to a nice place to snorkel. And we bought the t-shirts. Have fun!!

I've been to Bermuda in the beginning of May and the weather is warm and sunny, definately beach weather. I'm sure June is just as nice as July. My sister honeymooned in Bermuda in mid-October and was able to enjoy the beaches.

I think Bermuda's "warm weather" goes from mid-April to mid-October.

Great, thank you!

I don't know about that, sunny maybe, warm that could be debatable. Hopefully it is, but may is not a very warm month for Bermuda.

Great...I mean I know I read that the average high in May is 75 in bermuda, low in the mid 60's, which is only 5-10 degrees cooler than the average highs in many Caribbean locations when we went in January, and it was wonderful then. Awesome, now I'm not only worried that maybe no snorkeling & sunburns for me, but also how am I supposed to tell my wife, who has been looking forward to that aspect even more than me? :(

First of all, thanks for all the great information and to those who provided pictures. We will be sailing NCL for the first time on the Breakaway Oct. 20 and wonder if Vibe is anything like the Sanctuary on Princess ships.

Great...I mean I know I read that the average high in May is 75 in bermuda, low in the mid 60's, which is only 5-10 degrees cooler than the average highs in many Caribbean locations when we went in January, and it was wonderful then. Awesome, now I'm not only worried that maybe no snorkeling & sunburns for me, but also how am I supposed to tell my wife, who has been looking forward to that aspect even more than me? :(

I wouldn't sweat it (no pun intended). The last time I was in Bermuda (late May) the weather was beautiful. I went snorkling in Tobacco Bay and got a great tan. Actually, got a tan even before we got to Bermuda. Two perfect sunshine days on the cruise there.

By the way have you noticed that some of the most active CC members on this thread are on the May 19 voyage. That should make a very interesting trip :)

Lol, that is pretty funny. I've started to notice that now as more people are being active on our roll call and then I switch to this thread and I recognize the screen names.

And to follow up, for those of you who use Ship Mates the developer did reply to me this afternoon stating that the app will be updated soon to reflect complete deckplans :D

I emailed them too...lol...maybe they will get it soon!

I really recommend hiring a scooter whilst in Bermuda, it's the most fun you'll have in ages. Bus service is typically laid back, so be patient!

If anyone wants a round of golf, I can't recommend Tucker's Point highly enough! Sadly NCL are not doing it on their excursion list, but its an awesome place. Paul Adams is their director of golf and a Brit. If you have kids (or grandchildren), they are extremely family friendly. If you do meet Paul, mention Planet and Maria!

If nothing else, you have to go to the the famous Swizzle Inn (Baileys bay), and have the chicken wings and sublime Rum Swizzler.

Wish I were going!

Summer months can be very humid in Bermuda...July and August.

Here is a great snorkeling trip you can book on your own. They are fabulous! They also do a glass bottom boat tour. Check them out also on Trip Advisor.

We have also done a night time excursion to the Bermuda Triangle thru another company right at the dock. That was pretty cool too.

http://www.jessiejames.bm/

Here is the other excursion, on your own. Fantasea, Bermuda

http://www.resqwest.com/Fantasea/Admin/viewinventory_fantasea.asp?id=2661&LangID=1

Just booked a Breakaway studio for the 5/19 Bermuda trip. Very excited! Been lurking these boards for a while and took the plunge today. Looking forward to a terrific time on this brand new ship.

Good luck...we went around may 15 last year..it was great day 1and 2 (at sea)... Bermuda was rainy and cold..say 65... and was told that may is the rainy month..which is good for them bad for tourist.....just saying...but still beautiful island.

Good luck...we went around may 15 last year..it was great day 1and 2 (at sea)... Bermuda was rainy and cold..say 65... and was told that may is the rainy month..which is good for them bad for tourist.....just saying...but still beautiful island.

Sorry you had such a bad experience! Actually, May is the month with the average LEAST rain days of the whole year with less than half the days of July and August! Surprised they told you that! Average air temp in May is 72.3F, dont know if that average is daytime or only or full day but I would suspect full day. Looking forward to some comfortable beach days, not the 90F/90% humidity we will be getting on our own beaches soon enough, blech! But if its cool and rainy, I'll be fine exploring, and eating, and drinking, and shopping :D..

Robin

Strange, I just read in two different Bermuda travel guide books (published 2012) that the rainiest season is "January-March", though Bermuda "does not actually have a true rainy season".

At any rate we are starting to freak out a little, since the 90% of the reason we go on cruises to tropical locales is for warm weather, beaches and sunning/drinking out on deck (and I guess the food, too, lol). And now that its too late to cancel this cruise, we're both really nervous the more we talk about it. I really hope I don't regret just doing a Caribbean cruise in May. I recently dropped about $300 on new snorkeling gear ahead of this trip, so I don't even want to think about the possibility of crappy weather. Everything I had read prior to booking pointed towards excellent (75F avg) temps in late May, but now I'm hearing very different stories here. Oh boy...

On a related note, for others who have cruised to Bermuda in May, what have your experiences been with the sea days? Nice and warm enough (assuming its sunny of course) for laying out to soak up some sun? And I mean in bathing suits, not with a pair of khakis, a tropical shirt and an old novel in your hand ;).

I have been to Bermuda on a ship 9 times and the absolute, most ideal time is May and the first week or two in June. As the summer progresses, it becomes EXTREMELY hot and you're are in the middle of hurricane season.

The main problem in May is the ocean temperature - it's pretty darn cold.

A swim usually involves you running in the water, screaming like a girl, running out and waiting for the paramedics to arrive.

I have had mainly beautiful days at sea out of New York. Yes, the weather is unpredictable but as another poster has pointed out, the overall stats don't lie.

I cruise to Bermuda at least two times a year usually in May and September/October. Keep in mind, Bermuda is not really a Caribbean island but is actually 600 miless east of North Carolina. The weather is not tropical but sub-tropical and it is usually warm from May until early October but then it is cool and rainy for much of the remainder of the year.

I have been there in May several times and the weather ranges from a cool 68 to a very nice 80. The water is sometimes still cold in May because it is the Atlantic and takes time to warm up. October water temperature is definitely warmer and sometimes even the weather is better than May but that is just my opinion.

Archived