Princess 3 day overland to Macchu Pichu

smslms

Would appreciate some feedback from past Princess passengers who have taken the excursion from Lima to MP and rejoined the ship in Quito.

Apart from the fact that it is expensive, what were your thoughts? Was it well run, well organized? Did you feel rushed or was there sufficient time to see what was important to you? Any unexpected problems or glitches? Meals and accommodations ok or not? Any problems with the short time to acclimatize to the altitude in Cuzco?

For our situation this seems to be the best option to see MP, so just wondering if those who have taken this excursion would recommend it. Thanks for you input.

Would appreciate some feedback from past Princess passengers who have taken the excursion from Lima to MP and rejoined the ship in Quito.

Apart from the fact that it is expensive, what were your thoughts? Was it well run, well organized? Did you feel rushed or was there sufficient time to see what was important to you? Any unexpected problems or glitches? Meals and accommodations ok or not? Any problems with the short time to acclimatize to the altitude in Cuzco?

For our situation this seems to be the best option to see MP, so just wondering if those who have taken this excursion would recommend it. Thanks for you input.

I haven't take a cruise ship excursion but I have been to Cusco many, many times (I have a small import business).

Are you on the Grand Princess Northbound from South America? If so, you may want to do this yourself. Not only is it very, very expensive (at least 50% more than you can do on your own) but you do stand a chance of getting AMS (that would be my biggest worry-you go from sealevel to 11,000 feet in an hour, then have to climb via bus or private car to almost 15,000 feet to get to the train station from MP the next day.

IF I have picked the right cruise and it was my trip, I would take the EARLIEST flight on Monday March 4 to Cusco. Go DIRECTLY to the Sacred Valley if you are worried about altitude sickness (about 2500 feet lower). Spend the day exploring the ruins and other attractions in the Sacred Valley. On March 5, go to MP. With my plan, you even have an opportunity to spend the night at the Sanctuary (pricey but adding this on will be about equal to the Princess excursion and a FAR better experience). Then on the 7th (if you over nighted around MP-there are other options than the Sanctuary but they are all at the bottom of the hill-it is truly a special experience to stay right outside the entrance to MP), go back to Cusco and do your exploring there. On the 8th, take the early flight from Cusco to Lima, connecting to the 11:40AM nonstop to San Jose, Costa Rica. You have to make arrangements for a transfer to Puntarenas to rejoin the ship but that is pretty easy. It is about 75 miles.

Air will cost about $950 per person. Hotels (other than the Sanctuary)-less than $200 per night. So all in all, about $3000 for two with air, hotels, train to MP and transfer from San Jose.

Last time I looked, the Princess excursion was at least $2000pp. So you save a few dollars, get a more special trip that is not as stressful and lessens your chance of getting AMS. Yes, you are off the ship 2 extra days but you won't miss Manta Ecuador, believe me.

Enjoy!!!

We were planning to do this on the Star in March, I was really concerned about getting altitude sickness and spoiling the 3 day very expensive tour. When I researched further I booked a 6 day trip in November staying in the Sacred Valley to acclimatise. Including airfares and 6 nights in the hotel it came out at $1200 each from Toronto. Of course we have the train and amission fees to factor in but we think it is a much better option than cramming it in on the cruise.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Terry, we did not do the cruise but I have done a LOT of research for an upcoming land tour to MP and I believe you can easily do it on your own. We are not fans of the ship's tours when "overpriced" or cattle calls, but we will take them when prudent.

After research I found: As it is a once in a lifetime trip I wanted to climb Huayna Picchu and not have to spend two days at the site. Using resources such as Trip Advisor I chose a Sacred Valley hotel: El Albergue. There are only 16 rooms and it gets rave reviews for those as well as the restaurant which showcases their locally grown food and has live music. It is at the Ollantaytambo Train Station, Ollantaytambo 00000, Peru +51 84 204014. Rooms are "cheap". Per TA posts, choose the newer (superior) rooms. Rooms 1 to 5 are old and not so nice at all. 6, 7 are better but just about! Rooms 8-15 are spectacular. Rooms 16, 15 and 12 provide views of the snow-capped mountains. They also offer a private (just for you) wood-burning sauna with fresh eucalyptus.

They will pick you up at the airport in Cusco for $65.

In addition to choosing it for the altitude, they are AT the train station and if you choose the earliest Vistadome train departure you arrive early enough to make the 10 am time to climb Huayna Picchu (only 400 people per day with 200 per time -- 7 and 10). You then arrive back to your hotel after the train ride and don't have to take an hour and half cab ride back to Cusco and can have a good dinner. There is only one departure per train type per day from Cusco, there are many from Ollantaytambo letting you determine how much time you want to spend at MP.

Have a great time.

Archived