Getting an Ocean Fix

OC Mom

I was getting REALLY antsy for my cruise and needed an "ocean fix" so I went to the beach while the kids were at school, just to sit on the sand and smell the salty air for a little bit. I only live 10 minutes from the beach and don't even have to wait for a warm day to enjoy the sounds and smell of the ocean. But....what do others do who are landlocked and can't get their fix the same way??

The wallpaper on my computer is a pic of a tiny island with just 3 palm trees on it. The water is a beautiful caribbean blue. It's nice but doesn't really help all that much in the winter when it's only 10 degrees outside.

I was getting REALLY antsy for my cruise and needed an "ocean fix" so I went to the beach while the kids were at school, just to sit on the sand and smell the salty air for a little bit. I only live 10 minutes from the beach and don't even have to wait for a warm day to enjoy the sounds and smell of the ocean. But....what do others do who are landlocked and can't get their fix the same way??

You really didnt have to rub it in that you are so close to the beach or that its a warm day. :) I listen to my steel drum cd or watch caribbean travel dvd's.

The wallpaper on my computer is a pic of a tiny island with just 3 palm trees on it. The water is a beautiful caribbean blue. It's nice but doesn't really help all that much in the winter when it's only 10 degrees outside.

I totally just changed my wallpaper to that. I had a pretty Breakfast at Tiffany's one that I had made which I loved, but you reminded me of that beautiful one that XP has waiting for you.

The beach is around an hour and a half drive for me but it's Galveston so it's not so nice of a beach. I think it would just make the wait worse!

It's been a nearly record year for rain here in southern cal so I haven't taken advantage of the beach very much. I have spent so much time indoors that I actually go to a tanning salon for a tan:).

I also have a pic of Trunk Bay, St. John on my computer screen.

Well there is the wallpaper I have, a picture of a beach on St Croix from a cruise on RCCL. I'm 2 hours from the Maryland "beach" (Ocean City and the MD coast is kinda sad really) but for a quick cruise fix I take a trip on the Cape May-Lewis Ferry between DE and NJ. If you get one of vessels that were extensively renovated you get multiple decks, elavators, observation lounges, outdoor bars, even a 2 story mini atrium on one ship. It helps to bridge the gap until the next real trip on the sea.

The beach is around an hour and a half drive for me but it's Galveston so it's not so nice of a beach. I think it would just make the wait worse!

Where do you live Ashkarita? We live in Katy, so it's also about an hour and a half to Galveston for us as well. Went down there a couple of weeks ago to see the Elation set sail.

sunHello from Surf City. Years ago when I lived on the beachfront in Seal Beach, my favorite day was the first day of school. The sand sweeper would come by early in the morning and for the rest of the day the beach belonged to me. Long Beach, Seal Beach and the Huntington Beach, all walking distance to the ocean. I guess that makes me a "Local Beach Bum". Enjoy your upcoming cruise, we are looking forward to our October 22nd on the Oosterdam to the Mexican Riviera, 5 couples all in S suites, do you think there is going to be a party? ;)

cinco1-clip4cinco1-clip5cinco1-clip3

Beaches? I live smack dab in the center of the country -- at least 1000 miles to the closest beach! :( I come & chat on Cruise Critic to get my cruise fix! :D Think I might google a new wallpaper, although I hate to lose my current one - a penguin standing behind a sleeping polar bear, getting ready to crash some cymbals. :eek:

Beaches? I live smack dab in the center of the country -- at least 1000 miles to the closest beach! :( I come & chat on Cruise Critic to get my cruise fix! :D Think I might google a new wallpaper, although I hate to lose my current one - a penguin standing behind a sleeping polar bear, getting ready to crash some cymbals. :eek:

Good news no sand in your shoes. Bad news no sand in your shoes.:rolleyes:

miss-photo-clip2

sunHello from Surf City. Years ago when I lived on the beachfront in Seal Beach' date=' my favorite day was the first day of school. The sand sweeper would come by early in the morning and for the rest of the day the beach belonged to me. Long Beach, Seal Beach and the Huntington Beach, all walking distance to the ocean. I guess that makes me a "Local Beach Bum". Enjoy your upcoming cruise, we are looking forward to our October 22nd on the Oosterdam to the Mexican Riviera, 5 couples all in S suites, do you think there is going to be a party? ;)

[img']http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/objcts/food/clips/cinco1-clip4[/img]cinco1-clip5cinco1-clip3

I'm very close to you! I'm near Dana Point and Laguna Beach, but got to HB sometimes. The parking is terrible there though. We thought about cruising on HAL too, but heard it was for older people. Have you cruised with HAL before?

I got my wallpaper from www.*****. They have great FREE wallpaper.

I'm very close to you! I'm near Dana Point and Laguna Beach, but got to HB sometimes. The parking is terrible there though. We thought about cruising on HAL too, but heard it was for older people. Have you cruised with HAL before?

cinco1-clip6

To answer your question about HAL and the ages of passengers. A few years ago we took a cruise on HAL to the Caribbean with another couple.:cool: We think of our selves as being pretty social, I was a fundraiser here in OC for years and our friends are in the furniture business, decorating etc. We had the funniest thing happen the first night on board. Before arriving in Florida I had mentioned to our friends that it is always more fun to have an officer seated at your table and suggested that they look into trying to make arrangements for that to happen. My husband and I arrived at our table prior to our friends that first night. There were two couples already seated at the table for 8, we introduced ourselves and in turn we learned that although the couples at the table had never met, they both were traveling with Senior Citizen Groups from different cities. When our friends arrived at the table I asked if she thought we were at the wrong table.:rolleyes: Well, of course we were not, and you know it turned out to be so much fun. We were celebrating two birthdays and my very talented friend made party hats for everyone along with table decorations. You know I think we help make the cruise a great experience for our tablemates and I know they did for us. Now back to the age thing. Every cruise that I have been on there have been all ages, I think the warm weather cruises may attract a younger crowd. One thing that works for us, we usually bring along friends with us when we cruise. Hope this helps. Shirley

"Hope the bar is still open when my ship finally comes in.";)

Hello all -

I'm also from Surf City. I live right behind Huntington Harbor. I usually go down Warner to Sunset Beach. Lots of free parking and the beach isn't that crowded. When I start getting bummed, I drive down PCH (Pacific Coast Highway for the out-of-towners) on my way to work and watch the surfer boys trying the change out of their wetsuits while wearing just a towel. Brightens up the whole day :D .

My fix would be going to our local park and watch the cruise ships sail down the Delaware river from Philly. Just did that on Sunday and watched the Norwegian Dawn sail bye. And i have 143 days left. That was the last scheduled cruise to Bermuda from Philly until September so i have to wait till then to do it again.

Hello all -

I drive down PCH (Pacific Coast Highway for the out-of-towners)

:D .

That's funny, I didn't realized that I call it PCH too and never call it Pacific Coast Hwy. Must be a local thing. :D

Hello all -

I'm also from Surf City. I live right behind Huntington Harbor. I usually go down Warner to Sunset Beach. Lots of free parking and the beach isn't that crowded. When I start getting bummed, I drive down PCH (Pacific Coast Highway for the out-of-towners) on my way to work and watch the surfer boys trying the change out of their wetsuits while wearing just a towel. Brightens up the whole day :D .

sun

Hi neighbor, we live at SeaCliff right off Sea Point & PCH. You're right about driving on Pacific Coast Hwy and enjoing the views, since my sons are surfers I usually keep my eyes on the ocean and Catalina Island;) . Huntington Beach is going through big changes the past few years. It is becoming even more popular as a beach town, and of course with that comes traffic. The parking lots for the State Beach and then the City Beach have all been redone and both will be open for this summer's rush, hopefully that will make a difference. I always look forward to Summer but after a couple months I'm ready for school to start and the crowds to stay home:eek: . My favorite time here in HB is the 4th of July, with the parade, parties and then fireworks off the beach. Can life get any better?

carfinal

"I just hope the bar will still be open when my Ship finally comes in."

OC Mom, I live in OC too, Mission Viejo, close to the lake. We love the beach and go there almost every Sunday morning during the summer. Our kids are teens and sleep till the crack of noon, so we take the newspaper, grab a breakfast burrito from Del Taco and head down to Doheny (hate the parking fees!). We're back home before their eyes are open! We also like Salt Creek, but don't much care for the hike back up the hill. I'd love to find a quiet spot (in Doheny we go down the road to where the campers are) that doesn't charge so dang much for parking, but has easy access to the beach. Do you know any good spots? We are creatures of habit and don't explore as much as we should.

It's funny, my boss lives in Capo Beach, has a boat at Dana Point Harbor, she calls us inlanders. I wonder what she calls people who live in the middle of the country!

I used to live in LF, right off Trabuco. DH and I bought our first condo there, it was called White Oak. It was tiny, but we actually miss the place, even after 16 years! We've been in MV ever since then, off of Marguerite half mile from the lake. I've read other peoples posts from this area a number of times on these boards. So, you're an inlander, too! She makes me feel like I'm from San Bernardino, but heck, on a clear day, in just the right spot on the toll road, you can see Catalina!

Ok...I'm really not enjoying this conversation between you Californians :) I'm feeling just a tad jealous :(.

It's hard to get a fix from Montreal but yesterday DH & I went to Old Montreal to see the Maasdam. It was quite chilly so we didn't stick around to watch her sail but maybe next time....

Ok...I'm really not enjoying this conversation between you Californians :) I'm feeling just a tad jealous :(.

It's hard to get a fix from Montreal but yesterday DH & I went to Old Montreal to see the Maasdam. It was quite chilly so we didn't stick around to watch her sail but maybe next time....

I was born adn raised in So Cal and don't think I could live anywhere else (especially anywhere cold). I told dh that the only other place I could even imagine would be some place like Florida. We actually plan to retire on our own boat and not even own a house (when the kids go to college).

Archived