ID for Boarding the ship

Yankee123

It depends on the port. The policy is that card and photo ID are required, but in at least half the ports I've visited, just your ship ID is shown. The major exception to that are ports with higher security, like foreign ports, where there is security screening entry into the port area, not just the ship. We had to show photo ID in Roatan and most of the ports in the Mexican Riviera. Alaska and Victoria was just the cruise card.

We are going to be on the Epic soon. We will make sure to carry our drivers license with us. Would that work in Europe? I don't intend on taking our passports off of the ship.

What about children? do they need a second form of id also?

When we were there it seemed that Europe was a bit more lax on their requirements. Depending on where you are traveling, some hold your PP anyway. We always carried a DL and nothing else. Children normally passed fine with their parents.

There's another thread on passports going on that you might want to read. If you leave it on board (recommended by many), it might make sense to take a copy of it (either printed or a picture on your cell phone) along with you on shore. If something happens, it will expedite services if you have proof of a passport with the number visible. It wont get you on an airplane from a foreign port, but it will help you get help more quickly.

I can only speak for the Star but when we were on it last year, your picture

was on the ships id card in digital format. When checking back aboard there

was a person comparing you to the image displayed on the machine you put

your card into. No further id was needed.

As for a second id, if needed, we carry a copy of our passport with certain

items crossed out.

Vince

First off, the ships ID is usually not considered a form of ID. So, be careful when you use the term "2nd" ID - some think they need DL and Passport.

You do need your ships card. I am pretty sure it does NOT store a digital copy of your picture, but when they scan it, your picture comes up on their computer, from their system.

You will be told at every port you will need a photo ID. Most use their Drivers Lic. Some use their passport. Either will work. In reality, most of the time nobody looks at those. Depends on the current security at each port.

It depends on the port. The policy is that card and photo ID are required, but in at least half the ports I've visited, just your ship ID is shown. The major exception to that are ports with higher security, like foreign ports, where there is security screening entry into the port area, not just the ship. We had to show photo ID in Roatan and most of the ports in the Mexican Riviera. Alaska and Victoria was just the cruise card.

Our experience at the same ports has been entirely different. We have faithfully carried our photo ID's at each and every one (U.S. DL in this case) and have never been asked to show it except once at Nassau, if memory serves.

We have also carried our U.S. Passports off the ship on two stops in Victoria B.C. and again, never once asked for it.

That doesn't mean we'll stop carrying them off the ship, of course.

I am having a brain freeze moment here. I can't seem to recall if we need to carry a second ID (other then the ID that NCL assigns) to reboard the ship at each port.

Thank you

To reiterate what has already been said, ship room card plus a photo ID should be brought with you when you depart the ship at the ports. Passport or photocopy of your passport is optional but also recommended. Just because last year or last month all that was checked upon reboarding was your room card does not mean that will be the case next week. Security procedures at any port are subject to change based on the perceived or real threat. If you are taking a credit card with you off the ship, you may need a photo ID anyways to use your credit card.

.... it might make sense to take a copy of it (either printed or a picture on your cell phone) along with you on shore. If something happens, it will expedite services if you have proof of a passport with the number visible. It wont get you on an airplane from a foreign port, but it will help you get help more quickly.

Just a FYI: We just scanned and emailed them to ourselves. We would be able to pull up on a phone if need be. I hate paper.

We are going to be on the Epic soon. We will make sure to carry our drivers license with us. Would that work in Europe? I don't intend on taking our passports off of the ship.

What about children? do they need a second form of id also?

We always make a photo copy of our passports and then laminate. Much easier to carry around, and less stress.

cheers...the Ump...:D

First off, the ships ID is usually not considered a form of ID.

If NCL didn't want to take your CC info before you boarded and then issue you an "identification card" so that all purchases you make will be charged to YOUR CC, why is that not considered a form if ID. NCL issued this card based on the info you provided to THEM so THEY could issue the "proper id card" to YOU.

AS far as getting back on the ship, not into the port area which is different, it doesn't get any better than that. They put you in their system so could see if you have left the ship or not, what you have purchased, etc. As far I'm concerned it's golden. JMHO ;)

cheers...the Ump...:D

Just a FYI: We just scanned and emailed them to ourselves. We would be able to pull up on a phone if need be. I hate paper.

Unless, of course, you're somewhere where you can't get a good connection or a data connection on your phone, or your phone's broken, lost or stolen. :) It happens! In this case, I'll stick with a paper copy.

Unless, of course, you're somewhere where you can't get a good connection or a data connection on your phone, or your phone's broken, lost or stolen. :) It happens! In this case, I'll stick with a paper copy.

I would find, beg, borrow or steal a computer when I was inquiring about a replacement PP. There's more ways to skin a cat and would be more apt to find a computer / IT connection than finding a piece of paper.

Archived