Cave tubing/water temp.

Beaferd

• 2 weeks later...

Directly from one of the popular cave tubing websites:

Question: How cold is the water?

Answer: Water temperature in the Caves Branch/Sibun river usually exceeds 70 degrees Fahrenheit, which we like to consider as "refreshing" since the normal air temperature is usually well above 80 degrees.

We are going in the beginning of April 2013 and are considering the cave tubing but was wondering how cold will the water be that time of year. Any help will be greatly appreciated.;)

When we were there the first time we went cave tubbing and the water was COLD!!!!! The place our group put in at there were 2 ways to get into the water. SIt your butt in the tube (which if it was cold I would never get in the tube) the other was to jump off a rock into the water. Even though I am no srping chicken I knew that was the only way I would get in the water fast, so I took the jump. It was very cold at first but once my body adjusted to the temp it was not bad at all. Remember your normal body temp is 98.6 so anything cooler will feel cold at first.:)

What one considers cold, another would consider it warm. :)

I was in FL in beginning of April and we were surrounded by people vacationing from southern states (we're from Mass.). I was the only one in the water - which I thought was a beautiful temp! Everyone else thought it was too cold.

As another poster said, just jump right in and you'll adjust quickly!

...Remember your normal body temp is 98.6 so anything cooler will feel cold at first.:)

No. 90° F water feels relatively too hot for swimming, even though it is cooler than your body temperature. Furthermore, the temperature by itself does not matter; what matters is the amount of heat per time per area that is being transferred between the object and your skin; aside from temperature difference, you need to consider the thermal conductivity of the object.

In any case, to answer OP question: the water in underground creeks in Belize is cooler than the shower that I take, but warmer than a lot of swimming pools that I enjoy swimming in. Last year, we’ve done the Actun Tunichil Muknal, in which we’ve spend one hour wading up the underground river and another hour going back, and my kids (who hate cold water) were fine. So an hour or two in the water is fine; but if a person were to spend 8 hours in the creek, our guide told us, a wet suit would be needed.

Archived