Sales tax???

Chat Noir

I've read that some Alaskan towns charge additional sales tax at the register and some don't. Just looking to budget that in also. I'd hate to have sticker-shock:eek: on a high-percentage tax! Info on these towns?

Anchorage

Juneau

Skagway

Sitka

Ketchikan

Also, Vancouver and Carcross.

Twenty-one days to departure....Yippee!!!

Alaska doesn't have state tax, so any tax you pay will be imposed by cities only. (These statements dont' apply to Canada.) I say if you have sticker shock it will be b/c it's lower than you expected when compared to home. I don't know where you're from, but anywhere with state and city tax will be higher than somewhere with just city. I don't remember which cities didn't have a tax, but there are some. That means when you buy an item for $1.00 and you whip out the single bill and then start poking through your change purse the cashier is going to look at you funny since $1 means $1, not $1.06 or $1.08 or whatever.

Thank you all for the information!

I don't expect to do a lot of 'small item' shopping and most of my purchases will be for more expensive items. It's nice to know that at least in Anchorage the cost on the price tag is IT!

We have state, county and city taxes here.

Going to Tulsa shopping today, so I'll be figuring on spending nearly $10 for every $100 just for the pleasure of passing out my money:rolleyes: . Now, if they'd do something about those potholes with it...

Archived