Balcony compared to inside? Epic

kimmi5207

Hi all,

I am going on my 10th or 11th cruise. All my previous have been with RCCL and Carnival (about evenly split between the two) over the past 9 years. I've usually had an inside cabin-only my first one or two were ocean view. The price difference was always too big for me to justify the oceanview. I always found better things to do with that money(shore excursions, bingo, etc).

However, I am going on a 7 day Mediterranean cruise next year with NCL on the EPIC. I'm debating getting a balcony as I've heard the NCL rooms are smaller and we will have the bed broken up into 2 two twin beds. Since there aren't very many sea days (1 out of 7) and it's very port intensive, with all day excursions, I'm wondering if It's worth it. it would be $300 more per person, $600 more total. That could pay for 1-2 shore excursions or 2 nights hotel. I'm planning to fly in a week early and spend a few days in Barcelona and Rome.

Any thoughts from those that had a balcony on a Mediterranean cruise? Given the fact that you are gone on 9-10 hour excursions and then come back for dinner and shows, did you even enjoy it or get to sight see from your balcony? Also have heard most ports are industrial so it's not quite the same as pulling up to a Caribbean port and viewing the island landscape.

Thank you for your thoughts. Kimmi

On our Epic cruise last February, we had a well-planned cabin crawl. We got to see almost every type of cabin from small to the very large Haven Suites. I have to say that I was impressed with the Epic inside cabins. I thought they seemed roomier than what I had remembered. I am sure it wasn't actually larger in sf, but the layout and modern decor made it seem so.

I haven't sailed in an inside since the late 90's, but will be in a connecting inside for a spur of the moment Sky sailing next week. :D

I'm going to be voting on the side of Balcony! I have been in both, and it really is true..once you go from an inside to a balcony, it is very difficult to go back. It is an absolute must if you are sailing into Venice. Agreed, some of the ports are industrial, but those that are not Villefranche, Venice, just off the top of my head are breathtaking IMHO.

We have just returned from the West Med cruise on the Epic and we had an inside cabin. They are a really good size and really for the amount of time you are in it you don't need anything else. We actually made a comment to ourselves that when we were heading away from or back to the ship we rarely saw people out on their balconies. The only disadvantage , as you will know from previous cruises is that you have no idea what the weather is like etc and your day/night internal clock goes a bit haywire! All part of the fun!!!! Have a good cruise- we did!

I am on the Epic this October and splurged for the balcony.:) I paid $934 for my balcony (13th deck) Cat B4, the inside is $699.

This is my story of why I chose to treat myself:

Last year on the Navigator of the Seas, we had an insde cabin on our Eastern Med. cruise. I shared that cabin with my girlfriend. It worked out fine for us. However, I did spend quite a bit of time in the cabin. And so did she. We would come back at times during the evening just to relax and talk. One evening, I came across a good movie on tv and just stayed in the cabin. A few evenings we would have gaps between dinner and evening entertainment and we would go back to the cabin and hangout. So, even though you're not in your cabin that much, you are in your cabin for "whatever."

Now, on that Eastern Med. trip, my coworker and his wife splurged for the balcony. They were the only couple, the rest of us were singles sharing inside cabins.

We met up at their cabin one night before dinner. Wow, it was such a different feeling. The cabin felt open, bigger and brighter. When I stepped out on their balcony, I didn't want to leave.

We were docked in Turkey that day. I could have ordered room service for dinner and ate on that balcony, with that view and would have been the happiest person.:D I vowed next cruise, a balcony for me.

This Western Med. itinerary is so port intensive. I'm going to enjoy having my own "personal" outdoor space when the day comes to an end. I picture myself showered, in my robe and relaxing on my balcony, with a glass of wine, after a long day of touring.

Last year, that cruise was the cruise of a lifetime for me; Rome, Athens, Turkey. I fell in love with Europe. So much ancient history. It was mind boggling.

I worked some extra hours at work to pay off my trip and we have private tours booked for Naples, Rome, Livorno and Cannes. I buy 60 euros every pay. I'm up to 320 euros. I've been adding $50 a pay to my onboard account. I'm up to $250.00. I'm a female that likes to spend, so I really have to plan like this.:p It works for me.

My husband isn't going on this cruise. He has no interest in Europe:confused: so, I'm sharng with a coworker.

I plan on having room service deliver breakfast on the days we have to be up really early for excursions. It will be so nice to start my day with breakfast on my balcony. Taking it all in.:D

Only you know your finances and what's important to you. However, no matter what you choose, have a wonderful time.

But, I say go for the balcony. You won't regret it. ;)

Archived