Traveling with children: Car Seat Info

QTMichele

All good sense. But one thing it didn't mention - if for some reason you are unable to use a car seat, it is still safer to ride by car than to walk to the same destination.

I would like to read the empirical data study on this statement.

All good sense. But one thing it didn't mention - if for some reason you are unable to use a car seat, it is still safer to ride by car than to walk to the same destination.

I would suppose it would depend upon where you are walking versus where you are driving. :rolleyes: If the decision is that difficult to make, then perhaps one should stay on the ship. :p

There is some great information here, thanks for posting.

FWIW there is quite the discussion going on right now with my CRST colleagues about the blow up car seat, it is not certified in Canada, and the feeling is it will never be as there is a compression test it will likely not pass.

There is some great information here' date=' thanks for posting.

FWIW there is quite the discussion going on right now with my CRST colleagues about the blow up car seat, it is not certified in Canada, and the feeling is it will never be as there is a compression test it will likely not pass.[/quote']

The blow up car seat is intriguing... I don't think it's a product I would buy for my children; however, I find it an interesting concept and would like to see it in person. If it makes traveling with a booster easier for parents, then I'm all for it (assuming it's safer than a seat belt alone).

Some of the safety techs I have talked to mention that it's not the booster seat that does the protecting - it's the seat belt (which is true with BOOSTER seats, not traditional car seats where the car seat does all the protecting). With that in mind, if the seat ever deflates, it's only losing a few inches of height for the child's seat belt placement. I'm not sure how that corresponds to the safety data, but I'd hazard to guess that it's still safer than no booster at all. Time will tell if this seat hits a niche in the market.

The blow up car seat is intriguing... I don't think it's a product I would buy for my children; however, I find it an interesting concept and would like to see it in person. If it makes traveling with a booster easier for parents, then I'm all for it (assuming it's safer than a seat belt alone).

Some of the safety techs I have talked to mention that it's not the booster seat that does the protecting - it's the seat belt (which is true with BOOSTER seats, not traditional car seats where the car seat does all the protecting). With that in mind, if the seat ever deflates, it's only losing a few inches of height for the child's seat belt placement. I'm not sure how that corresponds to the safety data, but I'd hazard to guess that it's still safer than no booster at all. Time will tell if this seat hits a niche in the market.

We had a great discussion about this product too :). It is true that boosters are to position the seatbelt, but the problem is that the shoulder portion of the seatbelt moves out of position very easily. Since the booster is for shoulder belt positioning, theoretically if the booster deflates before the vehicle comes to a stop, the child could be injured by the seatbelt. That's why the Canadian standards include a compression test, so that if there are projectiles in the car, the seat will maintain its integrity. My own personal concern is that the booster would deflate, causing the seatbelt to slice into the neck, instead of being held over the shoulder where it should be. I'm only a tech, not an instructor or instructor trainer, but my CRST-IT wouldn't use it either. And I have no problem carting a car seat and booster around on my cruise ;)

Apparently the seat was developed in Europe where many people don't own cars and need portable booster seats. It meets that need well, as well as the niche North American travel market. This is a great example of how different the regulations can be in different countries.

Agree about that snarky shoulder belt! I'm not sure about Canadian standards, but once a child reaches 40 pounds, they can move to a backless booster in the US. The backless boosters may or may not have a seat belt guide, but I'd venture a guess and say that most people don't use them if they are included. Obviously, this leaves a lot of room for a child to mess with the belt (another good reason to keep kids in a rear/forward facing car seat for as long as possible).

As for the inflatable seat, I haven't seen it, so I do not know how much height it would actually lose. It's made of heavy duty material which reduces the risk of deflation. I'm not "for" or "against" the seat - just curious. And, as I mentioned, if it meets the needs of some, and people will be more inclined to use a seat, then I'm all for it! I, on the other hand (like you!), bring my car seats with me anytime I travel. The safety of my kids wins over convenience every time.

I would like to read the empirical data study on this statement.

http://www.makingthelink.net/child-deaths-road-traffic-accidents

Number of child pedestrian deaths and serious injuries is much higher than child car passengers. Even when slight injuries are added in, the total is still higher for pedestrians than car passengers.

What I don't have is statistics showing the number of miles walked by children compared with the number of miles in a car. But I don't think there is any doubt that car passenger mileage is higher than walking.

No doubt many of the minor injuries would have been major injuries if it weren't for the seat belts, but even so, mile for mile, riding is safer than walking. (These are UK figures, but I doubt the principle differs wildly elsewhere.)

I'm intrigued (but also worried) by the "ride safer travel vest" which seems marketed for kids as young as 3, and weighing over 30 lbs.

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com

It's on the doc you posted under the inflatable booster... I just can't imagine it is really safe for such young children (maybe an ok idea for a tall 8 yo who doesn't need a booster). But of course the thought of not having to lug a Britax on a trip is intriguing.

I'm intrigued (but also worried) by the "ride safer travel vest" which seems marketed for kids as young as 3' date=' and weighing over 30 lbs.

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com

It's on the doc you posted under the inflatable booster... I just can't imagine it is really safe for such young children (maybe an ok idea for a tall 8 yo who doesn't need a booster). But of course the thought of not having to lug a Britax on a trip is intriguing.[/quote']

It's been approved; however, I don't think it's meant to be for long term usage - more for convenience when traveling. My almost 4 year old falls asleep in the car; the safety vest would be less than ideal for him. However, it would be great to take when we travel abroad! Convenient, lightweight, and easy to pack. Just one more option for parents to chose something safe over nothing at all.

Archived