Temsco Good, Bad? Recommend another Flight Service? Juneau the best for Viewing Ice?

ceskydup

Hi Folks:

My wife and I will be doing the Sapphire Cruise first week of August 2005. Regarding flight accusations, anybody use Temsco? Good or Bad experience? Recommend another Flight Service? Is Juneau the best for viewing glaciers? Or Skagway, Ketchikan?

Is it better to make reservations (Cheaper) directly through the Flight service or book them on board the ship?

First time cruiser so pardon the inquiry.

Cheers

Rawley

We just did the glacier flight last week with Coastal Helicopters. It was the highlight of the trip. We landed on the Hurburt glacier and spent about 20 minutes on the glacier. We then flew over the mountains to the ice fields and then down Mendenhall glacier.

We just walked up to one of the many tour kiosks set up next to the visitors center and booked it. Price was $185.

We booked indep. a few years ago and had wonderful service. To make a long story short, the Regal was late getting in to Juneau and all Princess tours were cancelled. We used our cell to call Coastal about an hour out and they responded with "we know you are late and will be picking you up at the dock upon arrival". They did and took us to the airport, we had probably the only ride out that afternoon and what an adventure. Landing and walking around on the glacier was unforgettable. Also later on during the cruise I realized I left my binocculars behind and they mailed them to my home with no charge to me. Great company!!

We will be on the Sapphire on 8/21 sailing & just booked a floatplane trip in Ketchichan. I still want to do the glacier landing, but $$$ is just not there for both. Someone said that you can drive to the Mendenthall glacier in Juneau. Does anyone know if that would be close to comparison to the glacier landing.

Or should I change the floatplane trip & reserve the helicopter glacier trip? This is really hard deciding on all the wonderful excursions being offered.

We will be on the Sapphire on 8/21 sailing & just booked a floatplane trip in Ketchichan. I still want to do the glacier landing, but $$$ is just not there for both. Someone said that you can drive to the Mendenthall glacier in Juneau. Does anyone know if that would be close to comparison to the glacier landing.

Or should I change the floatplane trip & reserve the helicopter glacier trip? This is really hard deciding on all the wonderful excursions being offered.

There is a shuttle that runs to the Mendenhall Glacier from Juneau. It is $10pp roundtrip. You will get to see the Glacier but it is not even close to the experience of landing on a glacier and walking on it.

Scott

I would go for Northstar treking, we did their glacier walkabout(1 hour on the ice), book with them directly its a lot cheaper, they also do a trek (2 hours) or an extreme trek, where you get to climb the ice walls etc. Really worth the $$.

Booked them independently a few years ago and it worked out great. Picked us up and dropped us off in a van instead of the bus. Didn't have to wait our turn. Got there and took off, got back and right on the van. Save a bunch of money too.

I did the Temsco Pilot's Choice flight in May 2003. I couldn't have been more pleased, the helicopters are new looking, the staff are professional in all respects, and the airport facilities are great.We landed on the Taku glacier and then on the Juneau Ice Field. It was the most memorable excursion on our trip but also the most expensive. I also did the float plane in Ketchikan and flying in and around the fjords was spectacular and quite a bit cheaper than the Temsco flight.

My husband and I did both also last year at this time. Ahh the memories! My husband thought the helicopter was better than the floatplane. We also used Temsco. I made reservations and had it paid for before we even left on the cruise. Island Wings was who we used for our floatplane trip. Same thing, made reservations and paid for in advance. They are super nice people! We even received a Christmas card from them this year!

mybratty3 - may I ask why your husband thought the helicopter was better? I really want to do the helicopter but my husband wants the floatplane (he says it's a longer trip for the money). Also, I guess we could go to Mendethall glacier in Juneau.

He liked it better because we actually got to go out on the Juneau icefield and out on the glaciers. On the floatplane we flew over different areas and landed on a lake with a rental cabin on it. We got to get out and walk around a bit, see an avalanche, and then back in the plane. He really enjoyed both but preferred the helicopter tour. We did the Pilot's Choice tour. Same thing with the dog sledding. That is the one thing he really really wanted to do so we did and it was okay but to this day he says the best thing was the helicopter tour. He would do that again in a heartbeat where as the other two probably not.

Archived