Owner's Suite Upsell & A Happy Ending

cruisebie

But not the ending you might be expecting by looking at the title of this thread. :D

My DD & I are booked in an Extended Balcony Grand Suite for our upcoming cruise on the Fascination in September. I had earlier upgraded us from a balcony cabin to the the GS when it became available after the final payment date. Late last week, I got my first ever email from the upsell fairy offering an upsell to the Owner's Suite. Of course, I couldn't resist calling back to see what the cost would be, even though I knew from other posts I've seen on CC that it would likely be out of my comfort zone. Well, guess what........

It was. :rolleyes:

They were offering it at a total cost of $1,800 over what I had already spent. Probably not a bad price overall, but just more than I was prepared to spend. Also, the fact that the bed was a true king meant that one of us would have to sleep on the pull out sofa. Oh well, it's a beautiful suite and I would love to do this one day. Maybe I'll get the chance again sometime.

But wait.............. there's more!

In the course of our conversation the above mentioned fairy said if I wanted the suite, I needed to act fast since there was only two of them on the ship and one was already taken. So, of course, an inquiring mind like mine starting wondering who had taken that upsell. I went to the CCL website, did a fake booking for my cruise and sure enough, another GS extended balcony was now available (previously, they were sold out) and the price was $100 less than I had paid.

So one Early Saver Price Protection form later, I am the proud owner of $100 OBC. And I still have $1800 in my pocket. I'm a simple gal, it doesn't take much to make me happy. ;)

So if you're still reading this, thanks a lot for sticking with me. And the morale to this rambling shamble of a post is is keep checking your early saver rates, even if you think there is no hope. I never thought I would see a price drop with this cabin category since there are not many of these cabins.

This was our first cruise in late 2004. We were so clueless that we booked the 5 day out of Miami at the time! We loved the ship & have been on Carnival at least 10 cruises since then. We are booked on the Magic in October! Luv.Carnival; tried couple other cruise lines but came back home to Carnival...

Yes we got that same offer from the upsell fairy too. While the room is nice, no way I would drop that kind of money for it:)

Yes, way too expensive! For that kind of money I could do another cruise. I would say that 1,800 would buy a lot of DOD's, but if I drank that many I would probably get alcohol poisoning and have to be airlifted off the ship. LOL.

Yes, way too expensive! For that kind of money I could do another cruise. I would say that 1,800 would buy a lot of DOD's, but if I drank that many I would probably get alcohol poisoning and have to be airlifted off the ship. LOL.

But it would be a blast trying to have all those DOD's.:eek:

The should offer free drinks with that cabin... just sayin' !! ;)

The $1800 upcharge they were offering was too pricey... given what we've paid for it several times. You did well checking for that GS that opened up and snagging the OBC!

Tom

But it would be a blast trying to have all those DOD's.:eek:

LOL I can just see myself crawling into the elevator to get back to the cabin and not being able to reach the buttons. Guess I could just lay there until someone else came along to push the button for me.:D

The should offer free drinks with that cabin... just sayin' !! ;)

The $1800 upcharge they were offering was too pricey... given what we've paid for it several times. You did well checking for that GS that opened up and snagging the OBC!

Tom

Yep, free drinks would be nice or at least a few more amenities of some kind. But I don't think that will ever happen on Carnival.

BTW, due in large part to the great review from Don and you on the NCL board, I'm about the pull the trigger on my first NCL cruise, probably on the Jewel. I think we're really going to like trying all the different dining options!

BTW, due in large part to the great review from Don and you on the NCL board, I'm about the pull the trigger on my first NCL cruise, probably on the Jewel. I think we're really going to like trying all the different dining options!

You should have a great time - ENJOY!! :)

Tom

Way to go! I have sailed in two suites - one GS on the Triumph out of New Orleans - a Christmas present upgrade for my sisters and I, and once in the Penthouse on Celebrity Millenium. Carnival's suites pale in comparison to Celebrity's, and yes, on Celebrity while you don't get free drinks, you do get a couple of bottles of premium liquor in your butler's pantry, along with some mixers. The butler also serves coffee in the morning and afternoon tea and cappucino, all complimentary with the suite. We booked one Penthouse and our friends booked the other and we had the whole back of the ship for our two balconies. It was amazing!

Way to go! I have sailed in two suites - one GS on the Triumph out of New Orleans - a Christmas present upgrade for my sisters and I, and once in the Penthouse on Celebrity Millenium. Carnival's suites pale in comparison to Celebrity's, and yes, on Celebrity while you don't get free drinks, you do get a couple of bottles of premium liquor in your butler's pantry, along with some mixers. The butler also serves coffee in the morning and afternoon tea and cappucino, all complimentary with the suite. We booked one Penthouse and our friends booked the other and we had the whole back of the ship for our two balconies. It was amazing!

We've enjoyed the two bottles in a couple of suites, though it does not occur in all suites - it generally starts (varies by ship/HD) at the Royal Suite level. We have not received any when in Sky Suites or Celebrity Suites. Each time we received them it was Dewar's scotch and Absolut vodka (both liters). We are not scotch drinkers, and were able to easily exchange our bottle of Dewar's for a second bottle of Absolut.

I agree with you regarding the suite perks (that word does not really apply here): on Carnival you basically receive a larger room -- and sure, "priority embarkation". WOO HOO! :D

Tom

Archived