I dont believe it - May 2006 itinerary changed already

uktog

Yesterday I was very happy - I booked the Constellation for 20th May 2006 including a trip to Gdansk which we always wanted to visit. Guess what - checking on X website tonight to see our booking was in fact in (it was!) and I find the whole itinerary has been changed around!!!!!!! No Gdansk now - OK we will still be very happy - but just my luck!!!!

I would recommend switching to the Gdansk trip. I have been there a few times and, even in January, it is a beautiful location and the people there bend over backwards to welcome their visitors! The town has lots of visual history and great shopping!

Gdansk is the major "city" there which is more like a metropolitain area and slightly spread out. However, I am guessing that the boat will dock in Gdynia which is the port for the city. Gdynia is similar to a fisherman's village. There are fantastic restaurants and you can eat for very cheap! I remember a meal I had there once in that consisted of Goulash, fish and chips and beer and it costs less than $5 US. This was a couple of years ago and it was also in the dead of winter so I am sure that prices when a cruise ship is in town will be slightly more expensive.

They do have some great bargains in Poland though! They main tourist shopping area is The Shopping Street Swietojanska which is a large market. Some of the great deal that I found in Poland were a full length black wool coat for about $60 US, Bohemian Crystal wine glasses with beautiful etching for about $20 US and they are also known for their Amber and Silver jewelry.

However, I would HIGHLY recommend going to Gdansk's City Centre which has been restored after being bombed in WWII. There are old cobblestone roads in some areas and had more of an old world feel. There you will probably find better shopping deals, but not wuite as much of a selection. But the city centre itself is a sight to be seen.

frontpic.jpg

You can easily get there by train for a very low fare. On all maps it will probably be listed as Stare Miasto. I don't know how much a cab would be to get there but I don't think it would be terribly expensive.

As far as tours go, you might be very interested in one of the Gdansk Historical city center. I am relatively certain they have guided walking tours but you may have an interesting excursion opportunity from the ship.

Let me know if you have any other questions!!

Archived